Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took my patrol (98, 2.8 Gu) to the mechanic to get the timing belt kit done and long story short I've found myself having to find and put on a tensioner bolt for the alternator.
My problem is I can't seem to find photos that clearly show what's meant to be there because they only put the one bolt in from the front and nothing to tension and hold tension with.
Now I went to the wreckers and found what I thought was the part which is a bolt and block with two holes running 90 degrees to each other but I can't seem to make this work.
Hoping someone could shed some light and maybe a photo or two would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
nissan
2,214 Posts
Just done my belts and as far as I can tell the one for the alternator will be similar to the one for the power steering. The bolt head will face the passenger wheel and you'll need to access it From the wheel arch and remove the rubber shield there. It does look like it would be a pain to get it in and out and I was carefully not to have it come off the thread.
Just take it back to the mechanics and tell him to sort his stuff up.

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
So I took my patrol (98, 2.8 Gu) to the mechanic to get the timing belt kit done and long story short I've found myself having to find and put on a tensioner bolt for the alternator.
My problem is I can't seem to find photos that clearly show what's meant to be there because they only put the one bolt in from the front and nothing to tension and hold tension with.
Now I went to the wreckers and found what I thought was the part which is a bolt and block with two holes running 90 degrees to each other but I can't seem to make this work.
Hoping someone could shed some light and maybe a photo or two would be much appreciated.
This does sound very odd. What is the longer story. Why do you have to replace the tensioner bolt. What happened to the other one ( not a part that fails very often unless stripped or snapped due to trying to over tighten after reaching its limit )? I have stupidly done this on my power steering pump tensioner when I couldn't quite get that last bit of life out of the belt. Surely it had one to start with. How did you get it home from the mechanics in the first place if it was faulty?

Just curious as I wouldn't even have even taken the car or paid for the job if the job wasn't finished completely. Generally a mechanic will call if he finds an issue on the job and ask if you want it replaced. However if he gave you an unrealistic quote to fix this extra problem I can understand why you are doing it yourself.

One last question. Did you mean drive belts. I thought but could be completely wrong that the timing was geared in that engine. Please excuse me if I am wrong as I am definitely no expert on the 2.8's.

·
Registered
nissan
2,214 Posts
I snapped the bolt for the tensioner that does the belt on the drivers side of the engine but managed to get it out with a bit of heat and replaced the bolt. Needless to say some anti seize was put on the new bolt.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts