Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
anyone have experience and or pics with adding a boost controller to the 2.8.

I am interested in seeing what a few psi does to improve the performance as well as this new chip.

Benno i read that you said add fuel then add boost i dont want to go up much but would like to have a play and see the results.
Would any damage be done just going up few?
Can this be adjusted via the boost controller and boost gage safely at home?

cheers

·
Registered
Nissan
1,671 Posts
Hi Jace,
I was able to give the truck a bit of run today. With the exhaust, chip, Egr shim and butterfly removal, mine is boosting to 12.5PSI factory set. But when you give it a bit she does blow a bit of black smoke. I'm thinking of upping it to 15psi to help reduce the smoke and thats it, I don't think it will do much for increase in power though. As I said in the other thread I Didn't expect this much out of this chip and I have it backed off to reduce soot. Wind it up and don't care about the soot and
F--K does it go. My EGT's hit 350deg today and thats the highest I have ever seen it go, so if you have standard exhaust I would look at doing that before adding more boost. IMO.
Cheers Troy

·
Registered
Nissan
6,063 Posts
Do you have an exhaust temperature gauge?

Boost controller is very simple on the 2.8 it goes into the same line that your boost gauge connects too.

I don't yet have a boost controller still figuring out what one to get.

Cheers

Justin

·
Registered
Nissan
6,063 Posts
F--K does it go. My EGT's hit 350deg today and thats the highest I have ever seen it go, so if you have standard exhaust I would look at doing that before adding more boost. IMO.
Cheers Troy
Just curious but you have never ever had EGT's over 350?

Is yours a digital or analogue EGT gauge?

I'll get to 400 on the way to work up a hill 4th gear at 80km/h

Highest I have gotten to deliberately is about 470, deliberately as intrying to get EGT's as a high as possible.

I have 3" exhaust, lift pump, ARE scoop and chip on lowest setting.

Max boost in terms of turbo efficiency AFAIK is 15psi you can go higher but the efficiency drops off dramatically and you need to think about upgrading intercooler.

Cheers

Justin

·
Registered
Nissan
6,063 Posts
Hi Justin. Its an analogue gauge. I don't live in the hills. I drive flat roads every day and I havn't hit the Bush since fitting the gauge. Although I have been on the beach.
Troy
Ahhhhh analogue gauge.

I have come to understand that analogue gauges are slower to respond. It's not an issue it's just that it gives different out comes in terms of peak EGT's over short periods of high load.

Flat roads probably help your low EGT's too :)

Cheers

Justin

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
The stock turbo will be ok till 15psi, but having a ~0.53 rear housing I wouldnt want to try and push too much power through it. It is deliberately small to bring the turbo on earlier compared to earlier 2.8s, the GQ made its torque/power at 2400/4400rpm where the GU makes its at 2000/4000.

Go to a .64 rear housing like the GQ 2.8s if you want bulk boost/power.

Add to the 2.8 OEM Farked Design feature list:
- horrible intercooler
- non crossflow manifold heating
- attrocious turbo inlet
- intercooler scoop

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
my egt temps are the same as justin's
i have pushed it in 4 and 5th up inclines and have seen 450but back off and watch it drop just as quick.

i am about to order both a boost gage digital same as the auber egt type and a manual boost controller. not interested in all performance just a better drive.

I have not changed exhaust but it is bigger than standard (2nd owner) about to install chip when i receive it (patiently waiting nervously) will look at egr mod next with the boost controller and gage.

is there a way with these things to play with fuel? apart from the chip?

·
Registered
Nissan
1,671 Posts
All I'm chasing is to reduce the smoke without having to back off the chip anymore. I'm more than happy with it's current power. Low revs no smoke but when the boost comes on the smoke comes on. It's not over the top amount though.

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Dude, if you have been running EGR for more than a couple of years please take the intake manifold off and clean it out. The 2.8 could easily grenade if this isnt done.

This is a 250,000km 2.8 manifold full of EGR crap after a half dozen bottles of degeaser, couple of contact cleaners and about a dozen toothbrushes. I then gave up and sent it to works big kickarse parts washer where it resided for about 8 hours till it came clean.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
will do is it a hard job?
i have a parts cleaner at work so that helps
take off intercooler intake pipe and a few bolts without going out and looking at 1130 pm?

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
It could be dependant on if you snap any studs or not getting the poofter off. The 2.8 has the exhaust and intake manifolds held on by the same bolts and they actually fit and kind of lock together. There are about 14 bolts and 7 studs to remove to get it off. Do you have the electronic manual as it outlines the specific way to get it off as in the removal pattern of the bolts/studs.

You wont need to remove the intercooler but the piping from and to it, the exhaust manifold (so turbo as well and therefore will need new coolant), new manifold gasket, new studs ..... you could try and slide it out without removing the exhaust mani but personally that is fraught with danger IMHO.

Its a darn good manifold design for an OEM turbo diesel, well it bloody well should be as its directly lifted from the RBs :) with a few casting changes.

Ive removed the casting plugs at each end and have had these and the EGR port welded shut with ally.

·
Registered
nissan
127 Posts
Dude, if you have been running EGR for more than a couple of years please take the intake manifold off and clean it out. The 2.8 could easily grenade if this isnt done.

This is a 250,000km 2.8 manifold full of EGR crap after a half dozen bottles of degeaser, couple of contact cleaners and about a dozen toothbrushes. I then gave up and sent it to works big kickarse parts washer where it resided for about 8 hours till it came clean.
Benno, i just blocked the egr last week, n there was no other plate, its done 250k, so u rekon this is a must??? driveway job??

·
Registered
nissan patrol
315 Posts
Hi Jace,
I was able to give the truck a bit of run today. With the exhaust, chip, Egr shim and butterfly removal, mine is boosting to 12.5PSI factory set. But when you give it a bit she does blow a bit of black smoke. I'm thinking of upping it to 15psi to help reduce the smoke and thats it, I don't think it will do much for increase in power though. As I said in the other thread I Didn't expect this much out of this chip and I have it backed off to reduce soot. Wind it up and don't care about the soot and
Cheers Troy

your boost should have crept up a little with the addition of a 3" exhaust??? mine goes just over 14 psi. no bleed valves, mods etc. just the exhaust. and all the other turbo cars ive had have been the same. free'er flowing exhaust less back pressure on the wastegate flap etc.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
62 Posts
Hey mate,

I fitted a turbotechnics T to mine when my first chip was installed as I was only making 11.5psi with EGR butterfly removed and blocked, 3" exhaust and chipped.. I now run 13psi which has improved performance slightly..

Will be looking into doing my intake mani, clutch fan, and rodding the radiator at the same time in the coming months as the big girls just hit 280..!

Cheers Matt.

·
Registered
nissan
127 Posts
just installed a turbotech boost controller and autometer boost gauge, n i hae been messing around with it, and cant seem to get more than 15psi... im pretty sure i have installed it properly... any1 got any pics i can compare to??

·
Registered
nissan
206 Posts
Mate the RD28T has a pressure release valve on the front of the intake manifold. At 15PSI this valve will open and vent intake air to the atmosphere to protect the motor in overboost situations. You can block it off with a brass plug from a plumbing shop for more boost but go easy, over 15PSI is a lot of huff.

Cheers,
Mick

·
Registered
nissan
421 Posts
Mate the RD28T has a pressure release valve on the front of the intake manifold. At 15PSI this valve will open and vent intake air to the atmosphere to protect the motor in overboost situations. You can block it off with a brass plug from a plumbing shop for more boost but go easy, over 15PSI is a lot of huff.

Cheers,
Mick
Not on the GU's mate...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.