Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Having a cold start prob with my 96 GQ 2.8, and YES I KNOW how crap the glow system on these engines is. I have searched threads and had a read but thought i may have missed something. Glow light doesn't seem to come on for long enough and then just starts flashing (which generally means something is amiss) engine splutters for a bit then comes good once all cylinders start firing. I have checked and tested glow plugs, both glow relays, fuses, glow rail, all the rest of the wiring and all seems good. The tacho has stopped working which is leaning me towards the control unit as i think this runs the glow system as well as the tacho.
If anyone can confirm this or have any other helpful info that would be great. Thanks fellas

·
Registered
Nissan
338 Posts
Hi guys,

Having a cold start prob with my 96 GQ 2.8, and YES I KNOW how crap the glow system on these engines is. I have searched threads and had a read but thought i may have missed something. Glow light doesn't seem to come on for long enough and then just starts flashing (which generally means something is amiss) engine splutters for a bit then comes good once all cylinders start firing. I have checked and tested glow plugs, both glow relays, fuses, glow rail, all the rest of the wiring and all seems good. The tacho has stopped working which is leaning me towards the control unit as i think this runs the glow system as well as the tacho.
If anyone can confirm this or have any other helpful info that would be great. Thanks fellas
I had the same problem, the only way I got it solved was just technique.

Turn the key to "on" and leave for 10seconds, or see what time limit suits your vehicle. Then fire her up.

When i first bought the patrol I use to get in the car and just turn the key and not letting the glow plug heat, sometimes it would take forever to start.

Hope it helps mate, please let us know on how you went.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
problem is B18C it only glows itself for about 5 sec then just starts flashing no longer glowing the plugs. I have also tested the temp sensor.

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,348 Posts
I think bennogu28 has a fix for making the glow plugs stay on longer? I would like to have this aswell, atleast 10 seconds so the old bitch gets the idea.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok i have now also noticed that when the tacho is actually working it stops working as soon as you turn the aircon on?? what the.....???

1 - 5 of 5 Posts