Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 240 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First thing I did was extend all the wire and added an inline fuse (10amp) to positve wire. I did this as I wanted to install the unit inside the cab to keep it protected from water and dust. I mounted the unit to the right side of the steering column. Which gives me plenty of space to adjust when I want to. Finding the correct plug to tap into was the only issue I had with installation.

The correct plug to tap into is the silver plug (3rd one down) This plug has 6 wires going into the plug and 7 wires going out to the pump. The correct plug is circled in red.

I disconected all of the plugs and pulled up to allow more room for soldering (I hate scotchlocks) The wires you need to tap into are red and white wires (2 wires in the middle of the 4 wire side of the plug. I ran the power and negative direct to the battery. I did confirm with Thomas if there was any risk of draining the battery and he said theres no risk to battery or the speedbox unit (it will have constant power).

All soldered up, taped and a bit of corrugated tubing. You would never know its there. Put it all back together (I did pull the intercooler of for easier access). Started her up and it ran like crap. I did have to wind it back a fair way for it to settle down. for tuning I just had the wife drive it up and down the street while i was watching for excess smoke. It has increased the Idle by about 150RPM (not that it bothers me to much)
The result is a very cheap viable product that works well.
Any Questions - Give me a yell
Cheers
Troy :D:D:D

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
The Donator speedbox is a $140 chip versus $1500 one that does the same thing. A few of us have imported them from italy.

Great write up troy!

Does the chip cut in and out seemlessly via your remote?

Also disconnect the battery for 24 hours and see if the idle returns to normal. Ive already got a fix for this if it doesnt.

·
Registered
Nissan
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Ben.
When turning it off you notice the RPM drop of about 3 to 400. and the lack of power of course. There is no other effect to the running of the motor. on and off at the touch of a button. And as per my response in the other thread, I like your idea of being able to turn it off when temps creep up.
Thanks again for your help!!!
Cheers
Troy

·
Registered
nissan
9 Posts
Good job Troy, from your reports so far i have already ordered 1.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
On the accelerator pedal there is a grub screw and 8mm ocknut on top. You can simply adjust your idle with that.
I had to do mine when mine was chipped.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Strange the idle goes up that much.

Put I have to say I would like to know what research goes into the tuning of the chip to suit the 2.8.

I have a older style DPchip that is adjustable with three screws to get your desired result so maybe not so different after all. Maybe the newer diesels need the 'maping' downloaded into the chips.....

But great price.

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
It should be idling at 750 not 600, and 800 when the AC is on.

So its doing exactly what it should be. If you have an ECUTalk Id be interested in your TPS voltage.... mine at idle is 0.44V.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
62 Posts
Hey Troy nice write-up, i noticed in the other thread the instructions were how to wire into the ECU side of the loom.. any reason why you wired yours near the pump, instead of the ECU plug?

I ask as my chip looks to have the same wiring style as the ECU pin diagram in the other post, and i think it may be playing up lately so am looking into ordering one of these and simply using the connections i already have from my old chip..if that makes sense:confused:..

Thanks Matt.

·
Registered
Nissan
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Matt,
That is were this particular chip is to be mounted (as per the instructions supplied by Donator) I don't know if there is any specific reason for this. I would not be trying to wire 1 of these chips into where the old chip was. Unless you knew that it was the same wire as the required one off the back of the pump.
Cheers
Troy

·
Registered
nissan patrol
587 Posts
Coule you please put some pics up of the cab mount, i'll be doing mine next week and i like the idea of it being away from water and mud.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
315 Posts
ordered mine 11 days ago. i'll be sitting next to the letter box most of tommorrow!

1 - 20 of 240 Posts