Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious to how many kms you guys are getting out of your 2.8 GU, mine is ****house at the moment and i'm looking for fixes/suggestions. As far as I know the sub-tank and main tank is 135 litres combined, and filled to the brim, I'm getting no more than 650kms (around 20L/100kms) from both of them combined. After a quick search on the forums and reading old threads I've cleaned my MAF as this seems to be common. Ive had injectors replaced aswell.

Only modifications I have installed that could affect my consumption is 33" bighorns. Everything else mechanically on the car is basically stock, apart from snorkel. I have no heavy **** on the car like roof racks or steel bars.
EDIT: 171000kms on the clock.

What is the next step for improved fuel economy?

·
Patrol 2.8 TD
nissan patrol
1,640 Posts
Before the 33's went on, i used to get exactly 900km on both tanks.

From here to Mums place in Sydney.

·
Registered
Nissan
1,671 Posts
I get 13 - 15L /100km, only running 256/70s but.
Mainly country driving too.
Cheers,
Stoffy
X2 - 50% highway driving 50% stuck in traffic on the highway. Geez I hate the bruce in the morning.
and I run 265x75x16

·
Registered
nissan
421 Posts
Some mods - things to do.
- Fit oil catch can
- Take off and clean intake manifold
- Clean inter cooler out
- Unplug inter cooler sensor (keeps fan running) - i have. seems to help a bit...
- Wind the chip down ???
Best of luck with it... :)

Cheers-
Stoffy

·
Registered
436 Posts
I get 13 - 15L /100km, only running 256/70s but.
Mainly country driving too.
Cheers,
Stoffy
x3 although I have seen 17s when doing a lot of towing. Funly enough when I got the patrol I was getting 12s.. after getting the head fixed it went up. I'd say that's a good advert for water injection :)

·
Registered
436 Posts
What is the odo throw out factor of running 33s? Maybe your consumption is ok but using the odo for the calc throws out the figure?

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Getting consistent 14-16L/100km all the time. 33s full rack, bad side of 3.2t plus. GPS corrected.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Some mods - things to do.
- Fit oil catch can
- Take off and clean intake manifold
- Clean inter cooler out
- Unplug inter cooler sensor (keeps fan running) - i have. seems to help a bit...
- Wind the chip down ???
Best of luck with it... :)

Cheers-
Stoffy
Chip isn't installed yet because im waiting on money for an exhaust to help keep temps down, thanks for the other suggestions though, will get into it the next few weekends, but everything is stock for now, im trying to figure out why the economy isnt close to everyone elses.

What is the odo throw out factor of running 33s? Maybe your consumption is ok but using the odo for the calc throws out the figure?
According my GPS and highway speedchecks my odometer is spot on, i dont know the full history of the car, which had 33's on it when i bought it, so im guessing the previous owner had correct diff gears fitted?

·
Registered
nissan patrol 2.8td gu st
249 Posts
best fuel economy ive had in a year since ive had my 2.8gu was last weekend doin a trip to kanangra falls and jenolan caves all country and dirt roads avg speed of 70 10L/ph surprised me 2nd time ive recieved those figures normally religously my 4b sits on late 12's p/hun

running 265 75's 16's

·
Registered
Nissan
1,620 Posts
Best I ever got was 11/100 on a run to Sydney. normally around 13.5/100 with local driving.
With van hooked up at 80k I get 16/100 but if I cruise at 100 that drops to 19/100.
Running 265/75/16 with chip switched off.

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,353 Posts
3% extra k's. just multiply by 1.03

Im getting 13 - 15litres to 100k's on 33's. Although mine is being a bitch lately. Used half the main tank for 165k's :eek: wasnt happy to say the least. But most of that was 125kmh....sub tank light was on aswell.

·
Registered
nissan
536 Posts
Best I've ever got was low 14's /100kms, worst I've ever got if 29ltrs/100kms towing camper in High Country, and usually average around 17's towing the camper on the highway.

·
Banned
nissan patrol
592 Posts
the last few fill ups i have got 10.9L/100km. 265/75 all terrains, chipped switched off, intercooler always on. the best thing that will get your fuel consumption down is your driving style! not revving it 3000 rpm or above, rolling to a stop if you know your coming to an intersection/lights blah blah.

·
Registered
Nissan
6,063 Posts
285/75/16 tyres bulbar no roof racks but the rest of the parenphenalia and driving to work each day for 6 months 13.5L/100km

Never really got much better than that.

I have 3 inch exhaust, ARE bonnet scoop, lift pump, blocked EGR and Diesel Power chip on it's lowest setting.

Cheers

Justin

·
Registered
nissan patrol
315 Posts
my best has been 12.8L and most trip seem to sit around the 14-15L sitting on 105-115 on 315/75/16.(if a hill etc looks like slowing me under 100 then its 4th and upper, no econo driving here!) have a donorstore chip and 3 inch exhaust. all on highway, not towing, no roof rack but 5 inch lift won't help. got the 12.8 on a trip where it was cold and raining, slow with hold ups so it prob doesn't count......

edit: dont beleive your speedo! i never checked in the 2 minutes mine still had standard size rubber, but... with 305/70/16 (bit under 33 inch) my speedo was dead accurate @ 100kph and with the 315s (bit under 35 inch) it is now 7% slow.... eg, 100kph on speedo is 107kph on gps.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts