Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has had any issues with their fuel gauges on the 2.8.
Mine is dropping faster than it used to but the car is not using any more diesel than usual. On another strange note, when starting the car first thing in the morning the gauge reads where it should for the kilometres travelled but quickly drops over the first minute or so of driving back to the lower reading it was showing before I shut it off. Would any one know if this is more likely to be a sender unit problem or a gauge issue.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Check all the negative connections from the battery to the chassis. You haven't wired in any lights or anything new that runs the neg off the chassis have you?

·
Registered
nissan
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just had an exhaust fitted / welded last week so will definately check that.
Also have just started using my second battery with a fridge now permanently running in the back within the last week.
Can you explain a little more rseydler why this could affect the fuel gauge?
Thanks

·
Registered
436 Posts
I seem to recall (eeeek) that the guage draws negative from the chassis and if there is a weak power run to the rear of the car then the guage misreads (as it is all based on resistance).

Since it reads fine when you first start the car I would say it is something to do with the dual battery setup as it would tick over to charging the second battery a few kms down the road.

Or then again I may be speaking out of my ass :)

·
Registered
436 Posts
There is a thread somewhere (stuffed if I can find it now) about people installing driving lights and having the fuel guage go down when they turn the lights on. You may have better luck than me finding it but the remedy was to install another earth cable.

·
Registered
nissan
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a heap rseydler.
Just went out to my car & found the main battery negative terminal loose.
Tightened it up, started the car & fuel gauge rose up to where it should be straight away.
Problem fixed - thanks again rseydler

1 - 8 of 8 Posts