Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

In the past i've had a noise when a push my clutch pedal in, which would normally go away after a few minutes driving. However, after trip up to Queensland we arrived into melbourne traffic and the noise appeared again, and now will not go away. If I put it in neutral and release the clutch it goes away. it also seems to change pitch when I put in in gear (while still pressed clutch in). Everything is fine when driving in gear, have also put it in 4th, revved it, dropped the clutch and the engine stalls.

here is a recording of the noise:
YouTube - 2.8tdi Gu patrol clutch noise

It does it the first and third time I press the clutch pedal, you can hear gear change effect as well.

I'm thinking release bearing? Anyone have a better explanation?

I've kind of accepted the gearbox is coming off, so new clutch regardless :mad:, but it would comforting to know I won't get the noise after the thing is back together.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,099 Posts
Best bet is the thrust bearing. Dry and/or rusty. Take the boot of the thrust fork and try and hit it with some INOX. (make sure your a good shot). If it's the factory clutch, you've had a good run and replace it with when the new clutch does go in.

·
Registered
nissan
112 Posts
Hey mate,

Mine does the same thing though not as consistently as yours does. It only seemed to start after I did a fluid change on the gearbox and transfer case.

Tim

·
Registered
nissan
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, fairly sure it's the factory clutch (haven't owned it for most of it's life), almost 300,000km so not overly surprised. But INOX :shock: I'm thinking getting that on the clutch is bad? I guess the clutch face is against the fly wheel, so shouldn't get tainted? Should I be able to see the bearing looking though the fork hole? What is the bearing doing when the clutch is released i.e is it safe to drive?

thanks

·
Registered
nissan
2,215 Posts
Ditto Tim, about a week after I changed my transfer case and gearbox oils but only done it for about a day then stopped and hasn't came back. Was going to ask about it but since it went on it's own I just forgot about it. What's the consensus on what it is then?

·
Registered
nissan
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought that when the clutch is disengaged, the gearbox is not spinning? So I would think gearbox/transfer oil is not an issue. Having said that, I don't really understand what the thrust bearing is actually doing, maybe if it's seized the gears still turn?

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
55 Posts
Sounds like the spigot bush to me, Sounds exaclty like mine did after i put a new clutch and throw out bearing in to try and stop the noise. Only thing i didnt replace was the spigot. shore enough the noise was still there after a weekend of work.
I finally got the energy to put a new bush in it after about 8 months of putting up with it, now no noise.
If it is the bush which it sounds to close to mine not to be, then its a gearbox off job, while your there replace the rear main seal on the engine, put a solid flywheel with excedy heavy duty clutch and new throw out bearing $1150 supplied. Just did it all to mine and gear changes are amazing.

·
Registered
nissan
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for your answers. I'm a poor student so will doing only whats important:

1. new clutch kit
2. spigot bearing/bush
3. release bearing
4. machine flywheel

I'll look at doing the rear seal too if it looks bad

For those that have done it, I need a clutch aligning tool, can I just go to supercheap and buy one, is absolutely necessary?

Any other tips for getting the 2.8 gearbox out? I have read various posts on the forum, so know it's a s**t of a job and needs to be rotated.

thanks again

·
Registered
757 Posts
Pulling the gearbox out of your Patrol is not something you should take lightly. Its a fairly big job and you will need to have something made up to allow you to lower the gearbox out of the vehicle as they are quite heavy.
If the clutch is factory fitted as you say them you will be unable to machine the factory duel mass flywheel. Only guessing here but i would be very suprised if its the factory clutch with the km's you said the vehicle has so you might find that someone has already fitted a solid flywheel to your vehicle.
You will need a dummy shaft to line the new cluch/pressure plate up with the spigot bearing. You will not be able to do the job without the some sort of dummy shaft.
Not sure what you mean about rotating the gearbox. When you go to reinstall the box you will need to rotate the input shaft (not the gearbox)a little to line it up with the splines on the clutch plate.
Its one of those jobs that when your half way through you wish you never started but you get pretty happy with yourself when its all done

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
55 Posts
100% agree with Camo75. Not an easy job, and yep some sort of alignment tool. otherwise you will spend 4 hours trying to line up the shaft into the spigot bush and make 100 jokes about not being able to find the hole.
My truck is lifted 4" which made hard, but even at standard hight my mate had to bench press the gearbox to get if off. Just couldn't get the right angle.
Good luck mate.

·
Registered
nissan
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I'll use a transmission jack and a few mates to get it out. I might be thinking of the gearbox in the 4.2 and 3.0's, that it needs to be rotated to get the bell housing past the body floor? Had a look under there and looks like it might be too tight to come straight back.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
55 Posts
You just have to take your time, the input shaft should come out far enough to start lowering the gearbox before it hits any of the body, and then its a case of a little back, a little down, a little back, a little down. if your truck is stock height then you will only get it just back far enough to work on the clutch and fly. it will be tight but there is still room to do the work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts