Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol 98
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
g'day all ,
got a 98 2.8 gu 320.000 ks on the old girl , new head 20.000ks ago,standard exhaust
started to hear a missing note out the exhaust , and slowing losing power, i dont know much about motors so got it in the shop (coffs harbour diesel service), they said injector pump,new pump and no1 injector, new set of glow plugs and a service, got it back together and missing note was still there, so another look and they found that it had a wrong cam on it (mechanical cam on a hydraulic head)? wore one of the cams completely round, got the right cam on all going, come and pick it up all good,(friday 5pm and $3200 later). driving it home sh#t loads of black smoke and no take off power and a knocking noise when starting for about 10 seconds, back to the shop monday morning and they had a look and said that the speed sensor was loose, put a new one on and said that didnt fix it, he said seems like its getting no air, changed the maf, nothing,spoke to him this afternoon and he said that im stumped i dont know whats wrong im waiting to here back from someone that should know!!!!
so i thought i might ask on here to see if anyone has any ideas for him
thanks "tatts"

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Sounds pretty serious. Possibly the shop missed something or damaged a part on the engine. Being a diesel shop and they are stumped!!
Had enough goes at repairing the old girl and now it stuffed again.
The banging noise on start up would worry me, could have had some damage done with the wrong cam in it?!? Maybe sensor issue, good luck.
Would not be impressed with the mechanical shop owner though.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
$3200 bill from a qualified mechanic shop,and still no answer

Whats he called " I guess you pay " ???

Get onto Benno,the 2.8 god

·
Registered
nissan patrol
613 Posts
Knocking noise on start-up and lots of smoke...... sounds to me like the timing is advanced a little too far.
They will only knock for a few seconds if it is only just out. then clear up and run normal,
get the mechanic to quote you the timing dimension they set the pump up to and check it against specs.
Dont just accept "we set it back to standard" ,get them to quote a figure to you and see if they can give it to you straight away, without having to go and chase the specs down themselves,
They may have just "eyeballed" it when they put it back together. ( hope not for your sake)

·
Registered
17 Posts
G'day Tatts 98, the problem is the injector pump timing, just as scuba mentioned. Good luck mate. So called "diesel workshop". Gone are the days of proper mechanics. My 2cent worth comes from a very wise old man, in his 70's. Many years as a diesel technician for the Australian Army, then later for the big mining giants like Santo and Rio Tonto.

·
Registered
nissan patrol 98
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wat a storm power back on, just had about 1000 lightening strikes, thanks for the replys , ill get the timing checked again!!! and get some figures, they got the pump from lismore diesel, my guess is they just bolted it on and turn the key!!

·
Registered
757 Posts
when i had my head replaced last year i also had my injector pump overhauled and like yourself it was done at a different place. When they reassembled car ran ok but not great. After a while i got sick of it and took it to the injector place thet did the pump. they adjusted the injector pump setting one the vehicle and my problems were solved. I spoke to the guy about why theis happens and he told me that when they overhaul the pumps they are set up on a test bench which is nowhere near as good as using the owners vehicle for final adjustments.
Good luck.

I think there should be some sort of law to prevent machanics learning (and then charging us) on our vehicles.

·
Registered
nissan patrol 98
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
spoke to the mechanic today and still no change , hes got a bloke coming in with another old girl (2.8 gu)and to run his maf sensor in mine to see if that makes any differance, got some figures from the timing .96 after top dead centre, he quoted.
thanks camo75 ill tell him to try adjusting the injector pump setting,
ill let you know how we go!

·
Registered
nissan patrol 98
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
spoke to the mechanic again, cannot adjust the injector pump settings as it is electronic, they took pump back off and got it tested again ,was good , they changed the maf no differance , check the timing ,all good , getting another cam sent from melbourne (mechanical one with shims)
see how that goes!!!!

·
Registered
757 Posts
i dont want to sound like i know a lot about the injector pumps (i dont) but the are adjustable because i have had mine done and noticed a real difference.
My machanic was under the same impression as yours that were not adjustable but after speaking to the injector place we soon found out they were.
I'm not sure what type of adjustments they have in the pump but i know mine was running to rich after its overhaul which was causing it to ping up in the high country.

As for getting a 4.2 i why would you bother it will take you just long to get to the same place and you will be on this forum asking more questions obout overheating issues:D

·
Registered
nissan gu
34 Posts
I've just had my pump rebuilt and adjusted and mines awesome now, honestly sounds like you should avoid that place from now on

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
19 Posts
Go and disconnect the vac hose to the EGR. I bet it goes ok when cold. Black smoke, no power knocking all signs of the egr on. 1year apprentice mistake.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
19 Posts
Just thought of another thing to check. I asume that it has an eletronic pump, check the tone wheel on the crankshaft pulley, they have a habit of coming loose after mechanics pry them of to change the crank seal. good luck

·
Registered
nissan patrol 98
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
g,day baydiesel,
blocked the egr bout 12months ago, i think he checked the crankshaft pulley , but i'll double check monday

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
19 Posts
G'Day tatts98
The tone wheel is part of the timing belt pulley/ sprocket on the crank. I didn't make that very clear yesterday sorry. I have had them come loose. Try disconecting the needle lift sensor on number 1 injector. it will put the ecu into its basic timing
Cheers

1 - 17 of 17 Posts