Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

2.8 Injectors recondition, do they need Recon

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  rseydler 
#1 ·
Hi guys, my 2.8TD6 has now got 120K Miles on the clock (193K Kms) in your money, if my arithmetic is ok.

Its running fine, but last couple months it appears to be using more diesel than it was.

Lucky if I'm getting 20 miles to the gallon, which is about 32 kilometers to the gallon.
UK Gallon is 4.546 litres. Even less when towing the caravan (1600kgs), as low as 12mpg

Do you think its time to get the injectors reconditioned, new nozzles etc?

Is there anything else I should be checking? It starts 1st time everytime and there is no excessive smoke etc.

Cheers :D

#3 ·
Never thought about MAF, have got a spare somewhere will swap them in the morning and post back:)

Just been away for weekend towing caravan (1600kgs) covered 155miles and used £60 in diesel, I know thats not how you guys work things out but, that works out at 17.6ltrs per 100kms or 15mpg:anger:

#6 ·
Right guys changed the MAF this morning after cleaning it. The one I had in was a no brand off fleabay that cost me £95. So it now has the proper nissan MAF back in. Noticed differrence straight away, more power, freer reving. Funny how things creep up and you don't notice them.
Did notice around christmas when it was cold in UK that it felt gutless, but thats after driving and E280 Merc:D

I'm going to remove injectors when I get back from work in next couple of weeks and get them checked and reconditioned as required.
Going to Croatia with Caravan in Summer, about a 3000mile (4800kms) round trip so I want it running 100% as fuel price in UK & Europe is getting out of hand:ranting:

How much is diesel per litre in Australia????? As I type its £1.38 per litre in UK and rising by the day:ranting:UK PLC are now extracting the urine

#7 ·
Try Injector cleaners - they help a tad bit,

I replaced injectors for my 2.8, it did do a small difference, but it's really not worth the money buying new/2nd injectors and fitting them in. I only got 60km extra out of the new injectors for about 8months, but if kept using the injector cleaner every 3months it would've lasted longer.

With old injectors I used the "Nulon Injector cleaner" and I got 30-40km extra milage for about 6months.

These ideas will help-
Get a better air filter, I used K&N filter - 5-10km extra
All tyres should be 38-40psi - helps
Wheel alignment - helps
3inch exhaust system - suprisingly I got 45km extra milage
Snorkel - 5-10km extra
Fuel filter, my one was filled up with water... new one - abit more power

Good luck,

#9 ·
I get 17s when I tow the 1500kg sailboat around. It's probably more aerodynamic than what you are towing though. This is all sub 80km/hr stuff with traffic lights involved. Plenty of hills between me and the boat ramp too. I would expect over a long freeway run that it would come down a lot more.

Diesel is approx $1.40 and rising.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.