Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
nissan gu
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just here trying to save us 2.8 patrol owners a bit of coin. Anyone needing a new clutch

Clutch:
I have recently discovered that the clutch out of a r33 rb25det is identical to the rd28s.
I had both clutchs next to eachother on the ground and the rb25 clutch slips over the splines on the output shaft and the pressure plate bolts up to the flywheel no worries.

This is a cheaper option to buy a rb25det clutch than a patrol one.

I bought one off ebay.com cannot comment on how good it is yet as im tossing up between a rb25 conversion or fixing to 2.8.

But it was $185 delievered to my door, for a 6 puk stage 3 extra heavy duty clutch (still a spring clutch) and it included clutch pressure plate spigot bearing thrust bearings and alginment tool. It may very well be usless being so cheap but I may have fluked a good clutch. Time well tell :)

There are plenty of other rb25det options out there but.

Flywheels
As for flywheels I know the solid flywheels are expensive and the rb25det standard solid flywheel is the same diameter as the rd28 and also the starter motor teeth, they do bolt straight onto the rd28 cranks. They weigh about 12kgs so I dont how it will affect torque neither do I know the weight of the solid flywheels used in the conversion. Maybe someone is able to shed some light on this???

The only other problem I can see with using the rb25 flywheel is it doesnt have the same thickness as the rd28 and im not exactly sure if this will effect it or not. (think it might as the clutch will then bolt on closer to the motor therfore it may miss the splines on the output shaft!!) I can be 100% sure on the flywheel side of things bit its a bit of useful or maybe useless information..

Please note i did this from my 98 gu so i can not comment on gq 2.8s and i take no responsibility for any hicups.

I hope I've saved someone a buck or two cheers fellas

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
$1600 is fck all for a solid flywheel conversion. I cant fathom why you would bother on any thing else.

·
Registered
757 Posts
If your trail doesnt work out you will be kicking yourself for a while to come. i changed mine last year and for the amount of work involved (in removing the gearbox) i dont think spending $1400 on my solid flywheel conversion was such a bad thing. I would hate to have to remove the gearbox again

Reactions: poopatrol

·
Registered
nissan patrol
315 Posts
bear in mind that the gu patrol is just a little heavier than a r33 skyline mate. like over a ton more. i can garantee that the pressure plate isnt that heavy duty and for $185 i would be a bit worried in the 1st place. you get what you pay for. i didn't always play with 4wds and i have tried and tested my fair share of clutches. you do NOT want a puck clutch of any sort in a 2.8 patrol. thanks for the thought though.

·
Registered
nissan gu
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If your trail doesnt work out you will be kicking yourself for a while to come. i changed mine last year and for the amount of work involved (in removing the gearbox) i dont think spending $1400 on my solid flywheel conversion was such a bad thing. I would hate to have to remove the gearbox again
Yeh I know what you mean, but with the clutch you can go wrong they are the same!!
Will let you all know when i get mine going. Might be a while but

·
Registered
nissan gu
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bear in mind that the gu patrol is just a little heavier than a r33 skyline mate. like over a ton more. i can garantee that the pressure plate isnt that heavy duty and for $185 i would be a bit worried in the 1st place. you get what you pay for. i didn't always play with 4wds and i have tried and tested my fair share of clutches. you do NOT want a puck clutch of any sort in a 2.8 patrol. thanks for the thought though.

Yeh I'm a big believer in get what you pay for to. If i get 6months so be it, I havent really lost bar the time pulling out the gearbox. The pressure plate is fairly heavy duty but! There are plenty of other good rb25 clutchs in good brands

As for the the weight I dont think it would be a problem as the race clutches are rated for 4-500hp and heaps of torque so I can't see it being a problem grabbing on a 2.8

·
Registered
nissan patrol y61 2.8
48 Posts
how did you get on?

im going to be fitting a solid rd28 y60 flywheel to my y61 2.8 gu shortly

just looks like i need to remove the gearbox spacer plate that accomodates the extra fat dual mass flywheel.

props may need extending but its cheaper than buying an off the shelf dmf as we cant get the solid flywheel aftermarket over here in the uk.

·
Patrol 2.8 TD
nissan patrol
1,640 Posts
I went with a exedy heavy duty clutch kit with solid flywheel.

cost was $1300

·
Registered
nissan patrol
30 Posts
b00s7ed
4 years gone after this, can you update information about clutch? how clutch served?
any problems? would you recommend us?

·
Registered
nissan
6 Posts
Yeh I'm a big believer in get what you pay for to. If i get 6months so be it, I havent really lost bar the time pulling out the gearbox. The pressure plate is fairly heavy duty but! There are plenty of other good rb25 clutchs in good brands

As for the the weight I dont think it would be a problem as the race clutches are rated for 4-500hp and heaps of torque so I can't see it being a problem grabbing on a 2.8

any update on how this has turned out?

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
any update on how this has turned out?
Don't hold your breath mate, he hasn't been here since 2014. Might pay to search or ask the new question, if it was successful there would be other examples in this time. Ask the 2.8 experts on here and they will soon tell you what is successful.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts