Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I got a 98 2.8 litre patrol everything was fine then on a small trip i noticed temp gauge go right up and never had before.now I don't know much about cars that's why I'm asking I checked radiator it was full with coolant checked the little plastic bottles on the side one was almost empty and one was full of coolant I filled the empty one with water as had no coolant.then went for a drive and temp gauge went up but took alot longer to do so and and then goes back down if I back off the accelerator then climbs back up as I go, would this be because of the water in the side bottle and not coolant or iS there further problems somewhere else causing it like water pump or thermo fan or head gasket maybe.cheers guys

·
Registered
1998 2.8GU wagon
2,359 Posts
Which of the side bottles was full & which one was empty? The top one is the pressure header tank while the bottom one is the overflow. If the top one is dropping, while the lower one is filling, then you've probably got a blown head gasket or cracked head.
What condition is your radiator in? It's quite common for the 2.8 radiators to block up with crud, requiringthe top & bottom tanks to be removed & the tubes rodded. If it's still the original. it's probably not worth cleaning, just get a new one.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,896 Posts
Hi guys I got a 98 2.8 litre patrol everything was fine then on a small trip i noticed temp gauge go right up and never had before.now I don't know much about cars that's why I'm asking I checked radiator it was full with coolant checked the little plastic bottles on the side one was almost empty and one was full of coolant I filled the empty one with water as had no coolant.then went for a drive and temp gauge went up but took alot longer to do so and and then goes back down if I back off the accelerator then climbs back up as I go, would this be because of the water in the side bottle and not coolant or iS there further problems somewhere else causing it like water pump or thermo fan or head gasket maybe.cheers guys
There are two side bottles, the one with the pressure cap should be full or nearly full, the other with the screw cap has two markings on the side, the level should be at the lower one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The one on top with the metal cap like the radiator was pretty much full the one underneath it with a plastic lid was near empty.not too sure about the condition of the radiator id say its the original one I got the car with 155xxx klms and and now has 165xxx after about 3 years. Any idea on what a radiator is worth and should I replace hoses as well.is there any way i can find out if it is blocked by any chance

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,896 Posts
That one is spposed to be near empty as I said earlier. Be very careful making rash decisions as this can be expensive. I would be doing a few more careful K's to make sure you really do have a problem and not just a hiccup.

·
Registered
NISSAN PATROL Y61 3.0 Di (ZD30) 09/2000
577 Posts
The most common issue with cooling system is the 'thermostar' being blocked closed. Not the radiator ( that one leaks when 'tired' ).

Check your radiator hoses (top and bottom). They should both be hot when motor is hot ( coolant flowing through radiator). If not, your thermostat is dead.

Go the archive if not already done to get the documentation.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh **** I figured they were meant to be full can that be bad for it.and yer been very easy on it only takin it out for a test run.
By hiccup you mean this could sort it's self or not likely.ok so I havnt noticed any leaks and yes I do remember earlier today when it was running I did squeeze the top hose and it was hot but did not check the bottom one

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,896 Posts
I would syphon out the lower tank until it reaches the lower mark on the side, then drive it again and monitor, the in dash gauge doesn't tell you the whole story, where on the gauge did it get to? if the top hose was hot the bottom one will be, that is the direction of flow. No you will not have done any damage by filling that lower tank, you just run the risk of making a mess when normal heat expansion pushes coolant from the top tank into the bottom, which is then supposed to be sucked back when the engine cools if all the small hoses are in good condition and sealed at connections.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok I'll syphon it out tomorrow to the right mark. it got right to the bar at the end of the line it slowly goes up when accelerating then when backing off if i have enough momentum to keep rolling I watch it go down a little then give a some more and it sits then slowly rises and then repeat the process until I'm home.it didn't smell hot and i couldn't here anythign ticking or bubbling.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,896 Posts
There are so many things as said I would drive and monitor carefully, it doesn't sound like your using coolant, so it could well be as Wooly says, partial blockage of the radiator core.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yer ok any chance it could be to do with the thermo fan as when i purchased the car the guy said he unplugged the sensor wire facing the front of the car so the fan is constantly on when the car is, could that cause an issue.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,896 Posts
I would not think so, did he say why he did that? was he experiencing overheating issues?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok then that's good and nah not that I can remember and it's only risen above half on the temp gauge once before but was 44° day and was driving for a few hours but never an issue since. He said keeping it unplugged it will constantly be on and not cut out maybe could be because it has a big ball bearing turbo I remember him mentioning that.im not too sure why he did it im not that handy when it comes to cars haha

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also should add when i went for a drive I took my family out the bush locally it got hot on the way there at speed then cooled down as I was going into bush then drove through the bush for about 2 to 3 hours low range high range climbing rocks and hills and what not and did not get hot once I had a flat battery so could not turn off unless on hill It sat and idled for about 15 mins or so and stayed cool the whole time then drove some more was fine but as soon as left the bush and back up to speed it started getting hot again

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,896 Posts
Also should add when i went for a drive I took my family out the bush locally it got hot on the way there at speed then cooled down as I was going into bush then drove through the bush for about 2 to 3 hours low range high range climbing rocks and hills and what not and did not get hot once I had a flat battery so could not turn off unless on hill It sat and idled for about 15 mins or so and stayed cool the whole time then drove some more was fine but as soon as left the bush and back up to speed it started getting hot again
OK, this is sounding more and more like the core needs rodding. Have you fully checked the radiator externally for blockages, ie the upper part near the cross member, behind the aircon heat exchanger, etc?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok cheers for that and no not really I got told it could be mud clogged up at the front not letting air through so I hosed it out but didn't really check as I didn't know what to check for.also if it helps the whole problem didn't happen over time I went for a decent drive the weekend before and it was fine and then drove about 10 klms a few days later and it got hot.

·
Registered
1998 2.8GU wagon
2,359 Posts
If it's got blocked fins externally, you won't really be able to clean it properly with the radiator in the vehicle, as you can't get a hose into the back of it easily. If it's still the original radiator, don't even think of taking the hoses off & removing it, just replace it. The plastic top & bottom tanks get brittle with age & taking the hoses off can weaken the spigots, which can then break. I went through this recently & it cost me a new head. I put a new radiator in from Natrad, which from memory was only around $250. Try this first, as if it's anything else, you're still going to have to take the hoses off anyway, risking the spigots breaking.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
4 Posts

1 - 20 of 21 Posts