Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
nissan rx patrol
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a newbie to the forum and to Patrols as well. I met one of our members on Mt Barney at the weekend who put me right on a couple of things but I need a bit more info. My RX 2.8 turbo blows white smoke on startup which I am told is a glow plug problem. The car is fitted with a button on the dash to warm them up. I have looked at the plugs and cyl 1,2 and 3 have a green band and the others a black one. Is this still the correct setup as I have the dashboard button? Reading other posts there seems to be some discussion as to the best plugs to buy, any advice welcome. I have only had the car a few weeks so I am working with what it had when I bought it, not what I have fitted.

·
Learned the hard way - RD28t out TD42 in
4,415 Posts
Hi Eric and welcome to this great place for 'trolls. You're truck has probably had a relay or glow control box failure in the past and has been fixed in a very simple and basic way - chuck the expensive Nissan stuff and fit a button ! OK this works, I recommend you find a recent thread on this called something like "fix RD28 glow problems forever"; that should give you a steer. You need to check the plugs and that they are all powered as a start.

The glow system on the RD is complex with its mixed type of plug (and expensive too), but it does work well. I suspect the white smoke is there because the plugs are not being powered after start-up, something that the standard system does. If you live in Aus, probably not a problem, but if you're in Europe it will give you issues in winter, whether it concerns you or not is another q ! A little white smoke on start up is normal, a lot is not, except in cold weather, and that's why Nissan go to the trouble of fitting complex glow systems. I would look at the original system and see if you can fix it, there is a lot of misunderstanding of it, but once you get your mind around how it works, its fine. It could be simply a fuse or faulty relay, but then it could be the control box, but 'till you look .... Let us know how you get on.

·
"Remember, you're unique... just like everyone els
nissan patrol
1,593 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
1,260 Posts
Just having the button is fine this is what I have running you just need to hold your finger on the button after start up.

·
If you drive a box you get box
1,115 Posts
its a shame theres not a way to keep some sort of timer involved with the TD42 plug conversion

·
Registered
nissan rx patrol
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I don't know if I am brave enough to start hacking the relay. If I just change the plugs is there any recommended brand? I have done a bit of research and have prices ranging from Hiflo at around $200 the set to $300 for NGK. Is the extra money worth it? I'm good with one and two cylinder Yanmars on yachts but six turbocharged cylinders is a whole new ball game for me.

·
"Remember, you're unique... just like everyone els
nissan patrol
1,593 Posts
Eric,

If it were me I would steer clear of those cheaper plugs (cheap by 2.8 ceramic standards) as you will be throwing money down the drain. They wont last, just look at all the posts on here about them.

By the time you put the TD42 plugs in for a third of the price you'll be amazed at how long they will last.

·
Registered
696 Posts

·
Learned the hard way - RD28t out TD42 in
4,415 Posts
Be careful running the plugs once the engine has started, yes it's necessary in cold climates, but once the motor reaches a certain temp or starts working (ie you driving it), the plugs need to be switched off otherwise damage can result. The Nissan glow-plug control module that runs the plugs after start-up monitor engine temp and road speed to achieve these functions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts