Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey im looking at buying a 2.8 td gu just wanting to know the ups and downs of them ?
im planing on doing long trips so making it into a bit of a tourer but nothing to insane just 2-3 inch lift 33inch tyres cheers

·
Registered
757 Posts
Just make sure you get one that got a good service history and all should be good.
Speak to the previous owner if you can to make sure all servicing was completed within the service requirments.
2.8 suffer no more issues than any other engine. Some people will say they are a little down on power but you will need to drive one to form your own opinon.
They make a great touring vehicle which is pretty much what we use ours for now days

Best of luck hunting for your new Patrol:D

·
Registered
757 Posts
even though i am a huge 2.8 fan i feel you might be a little dissapointed with the power of the 2.8 once you stop driving the 6.2 litre chev:driving:.

·
Grenade Master
GU4 05
2,621 Posts
great thanks alot just trying to sell my car now a 75 series landcruiser with a 6.2 chev diesel cant wait to get back in a patrol :D
Even thought I like the "Troll" there is no way I'd swapped the 75 with Chevy diesel in it for 2.8 L GU. Care to elaborate as to what prompted such an action.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,620 Posts
Without standing on anyones toes here
Theres no way in hell id swap or sell a 6.5 chev powered L/C and go buy a 2.8 GU
Thats just ,well not right

Im keen on why a decision like that

·
Registered
Nissan
342 Posts
Or perhaps take the chev out of the Landcruiser, and put it on the GU... then put the 2.8 engine in the Landcruiser :p.

Just check history of car, check for leaks any of the obvious stuff. Check oil conditions etc. After you buy the car, make sure do a full service (even clean the radiator out).

Make it a new car, then enjoy as these things last forever when taken care of properly.

·
Registered
Nissan
6,069 Posts
Yeah I can guarantee you won't be happy with the 2.8.

The off idle torque will feel like zero compared to what you have currently.

Not to mention the rest of the torque throughout the rev range!

Cheers

Justin

·
Registered
nissan
8,921 Posts
The engine in the LC is the 6.2 not the 6.5 diesel, the 2.8 produces only 2kW less peak power than the 6.2 :shock:

But idling the 2.8 has no torque comparatively.

Take a 2.8 for a drive.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,620 Posts
2 KW power difference !!!!!
WTF
Anyone wanna go hang 2 - 2.5 tonne trailers of the back and tell me the 2.8 will be right behind the 6.2 up hills !!!

Seriously go take the 2.8 for a run and tell me if you can feel the so called lack of 2 KW power difference

Nah seriously in all fairness,do a search theres just like tonnes and tonnes about the 2.8s to read

·
Registered
nissan
8,921 Posts
Anyone wanna go hang 2 - 2.5 tonne trailers of the back and tell me the 2.8 will be right behind the 6.2 up hills !!!
the lazy fat ****er chevy's like to idle not rev ;) And they are easily 150kgs (with gearbox) over a 2.8

A chipped 2.8 would hand the chev its crappy american iron even with a big trailer.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
587 Posts
I just bought one a couple of months ago, and wishing I hadn't. Hard to work on, parts are rare and exspensive. I've heard bad stories about them, but ive also heard of people flogging theirs for years and it never breaking.

Not exactly the most reliable thing around.

·
Registered
Nissan
6,069 Posts
I just bought one a couple of months ago, and wishing I hadn't. Hard to work on, parts are rare and exspensive. I've heard bad stories about them, but ive also heard of people flogging theirs for years and it never breaking.

Well you have come to the right place to help you through any 2.8 issues.

Cheers

Justin

·
Registered
nissan
8,921 Posts

How are they hard to work on?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
587 Posts
Well you have come to the right place to help you through any 2.8 issues.

Cheers

Justin
Chugging/very rough, blue/white smoke on startup which im thinking is either injectors or injector pump, and from what i've read on here its not rare, and very F****** expensive.

Blue smoke when I plant the foot, which i've been told could be stuffed turbo seals, causing oil to be blown through the motor, which is VERY F***** expensive.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.