Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I currently have a 2.8td in my 99 gu patrol. I am looking to upgrade to a 4.2 turbo diesel.

Can anyone give me a rough price of what it might cost for the conversion and where to get a engine? keeping in mind that i can do all the labor myself, so really just cost of parts.

And second question, does a gq 4.2 fit in to the gu body?

Cheers
Shaun

·
Registered
378 Posts
the engine will fit from a gq but the gearbox is different( gear stick location) there are two ways of fitting the motor you either have to move the drivers side engine mount on the chassis or make a plate and move the mount on the engine so that it will fit there is heaps of info on this site and on outerlimits (search is your friend)

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
bennoGU28 said:
Then theyd get a 6BT not a glorified overheating tractor.
Yea, thats a popular conversion, everyones doing it. Why not be the first, your always on about that donk.

yes a GQ 4.2 will fit a GU

Cost wise:
how much are you doing yourself?
how much you paying to have done?
New crate motor?
New gearbox?
new everything else?
Buying a 1/2 cut?
buying bits and pieces here there and everywhere as you go?

bit more info would help

·
Registered
Nissan
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmm maybe i wont use a gq motor then? I was really just going to try find a 4.2td and then see what else needs to be changed. I will do all the labor myself so its just going to cost me for the engine. It doesn't have to be a new rebuilt one because they cost a fortune. Maybe just a half cut

Does the gearbox behind the 2.8 in a gu fit behind a 4.2 from a gu?? and are the bell housings the same

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Does the gearbox behind the 2.8 in a gu fit behind a 4.2 from a gu?? and are the bell housings the same

No. The 2.8 has the smaller box. The transfer case is the same though. You will need a gearbox from a GU as the shifter locations are different on Gq / Gu

·
Registered
nissan patrol
4 Posts
I feel your pain mate!!!!
I just rebuilt my 2.8 (picked it up 20th Dec) cost $7500.
I wanted to go bigger but I was told $15k up motor, gearbox & diffs probably radiator.
made my choice easy.

·
Registered
Nissan
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so what is need in the conversion?

motor,gearbox, ecu, anything else

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
As said, buy a 1/2 cut or a cheap GQ for $4k and you will have everything you need.. engine/box/clutch/linkages/wiring plugs/ - the works.

Then part out the rest.. grand for diffs, panels etc and recoup the $4k.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts