Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gq
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I'm fairly new to 4x4ing & went to the Glass House mountains just the other day in my 2" lifted GQ shorty with 33" tyres. I came across a track out there that I saw a plane looking GU patrol & a lifted Toyota ute go down. I walked over to the edge & looked down it & couldn't believe a 4x4 could get down it, it was as far as the eye could see steep & ruts everywhere. One of the 4x4s was rocking back & fourth looking like it was about to tip over.
Anyway my question is for the guys out there with the 2" to standard lifts with 33" or smaller tyres how radical a track have you been down. Also with rooftop tents or gear on the roof does that limit you to what tracks you will attempt ?

·
GHMBC #3
nissan patrol gq lwb,3"lift.
3,788 Posts
you are only limited by your diff pumpkin and traction in a patrol mate

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,868 Posts
I've done a bit of GlassHousing and other big tracks over the years, I've got a 3" lift and 265x75's and you will be surprised how far into the Mulga you can get with that and even a std vehicle, if setup correctly. Off course if you want to do Widowmaker then that is another story :).

·
GHMBC #3
nissan patrol gq lwb,3"lift.
3,788 Posts
yeah widowmaker and big red are the hard ones

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gq
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This track was near a enclosed power transformer & it looked like a widow maker to me LOL
It must take a good set of balls to commit to some of these tracks & not know what your in for till you complete them. Its not like you can turn around & go back. would be good to have a few chicken track days & slowly move into the harder stuff with 4x4ers that want to learn without smashing there trucks.

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gq
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
geeyoutoo I see that you have an RX7 in your aviator, do you still have it ? I still have my Turbo charged RX3 coupe with torana A9X flared Gaurds. Fun toys that for sure.

·
Registered
nissan gq patrol
55 Posts
geeyoutoo I see that you have an RX7 in your aviator, do you still have it ? I still have my Turbo charged RX3 coupe with torana A9X flared Gaurds. Fun toys that for sure.
genuine rx3 coupe? if so im very very jealous....been chasing one for years,might have to settle for an 808 coupe and put the rx3 bits on it haha

but in reply to your post, i had a few gq's one 5'' lift with 35's and another with 3'' and 33's and i went the exact same places with the smaller one without a drama,picking the right lines just becomes a bit more important

i now have a gu4 with HD 2'' lift and 34's and although i havent used it much yet im confident hitting the more serious tracks

·
Registered
nissan patrol
7,486 Posts
Ove done some awesome tracks with my 2" lift and 33"s mate.
Bar work is your friend though.
Sliders a def. Rear bar heaps as does rear quarter chop.
I went a millweld tube bar and the extra approach angle helps heaps.

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
Only thing that ever stops me is entry angle and panel damage. Eg if my bullbar hits before my front wheels and there is no way to road build then I'm out. Similarly if its obvious that I'm going to slide into a tree root and smash my doors then I'm out. Otherwise it's on.

3" and 35s GU, but the same applies to my GQ with 6" lift and 14" of travel at each corner.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,868 Posts
No, sadly it's in my list of memories from when I was racing, sold it many years ago it was a weapon Peripheral Port @ 300+Hp weighing in at 700kg, not bad for NA and early 80's. There are lots of chicken tracks around some of the tougher areas there but not Widow Maker.........

·
Registered
Nissan
1,710 Posts
prety sure we drove all the yellow hard track at landcruser mountain park with my patrol only running 2" lift and standard size All terain tyres, Only real trick up its sleave is a front ARB locker, You will be suprised where a reletivly standard 4x4 will go just by picking your lines correctly.

In my Situation there have always been more cons than pros to running bigger tyres.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,868 Posts
You will be suprised where a reletivly standard 4x4 will go just by picking your lines correctly.

In my Situation there have always been more cons than pros to running bigger tyres.
Exactly and Me too, I like the way mine goes on the tyres I have, I spent a lot of time and effort to get the performance I got out of it, I'm a bit loathe to lose any of it and I can still go a lot of places on tough tracks.

Also I'm not one for wanting to do panel damage just for the sake of saying I've done a particular bit, I don't mind bending side steps, done that a few times hence considering sliders somewhere down the track, that's just me I suppose.

Had a look at Off-Road Divisions sliders the other day when I was down there, they look OK

·
Glasshouse Bogan #1
nissan patrol gu
9,423 Posts
35 play tires is the go. I am running 31/2s on the road then in 20 minutes I can have the 35s on for a day on the harder tracks.
Transfer reduction gears are a necessity though as a patrol low reduction isn't enough with small tires let alone 35s.
And I only have a 2 inch lift but it's ideal with 35s no need for higher in my opinion.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
The biggest advantages of small tyres are power, economy, better road manners and road legal.

The biggest advantages of big tyres are diff clearance and rim clearance which means a lot in mud ruts and rock trails. But the biggest advantage is the higher rolling center so the bigger tyre rolls up and over rocks rather than bouncing off of them. Makes it much easier on the car and passengers. When engineered they are legal and when matched with ratios the performance and economy are comparable.

For me I don't have time to swap tyres so I just run the big ones all the time. Particularly because in Sydney I often have to tow the camper a few hundred k's to get any decent 4wding so I don't want the compromise.

·
Glasshouse Bogan #1
nissan patrol gu
9,423 Posts
The biggest advantages of small tyres are power, economy, better road manners and road legal.

The biggest advantages of big tyres are diff clearance and rim clearance which means a lot in mud ruts and rock trails. But the biggest advantage is the higher rolling center so the bigger tyre rolls up and over rocks rather than bouncing off of them. Makes it much easier on the car and passengers. When engineered they are legal and when matched with ratios the performance and economy are comparable.

For me I don't have time to swap tyres so I just run the big ones all the time. Particularly because in Sydney I often have to tow the camper a few hundred k's to get any decent 4wding so I don't want the compromise.
That makes a lot of sense. I have been flogging my car up one particular hill and getting the big bounce up. Yesterday I hit it with 35s no bounce was much easier on my car. God things might get boring now.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Anyway my question is for the guys out there with the 2" to standard lifts with 33" or smaller tyres how radical a track have you been down. Also with rooftop tents or gear on the roof does that limit you to what tracks you will attempt ?
The best way to answer that question is in practise, meaning go out with some Patrol owners who know their vehicles well, and look and learn. There are topics started fairly regularly here for Glasshouse wheeling days so keep an eye out and tag along, all you need is your own recovery gear (a strap and shackles and good recovery points at each end), and maybe deflator and compressor but you can get by using the Matilda/SPAR servos hose. 22psi is spot on for Glasshouse.

You'll see what these things are capable of then, and you'll get good spotting and advice from the other guys. Seriously a shorty with 33"/2" combo is as capable a truck as they come, when it comes to most situations. And the good thing about GH is that when the tracks get silly there's always a chicken track.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts