Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be working towards getting a boat next year and was wondering what would be the best outboard, a 2 stroke or 4 stroke, and which brand.

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Ive said it in the past but there is no across the board answer in 2011, in 2012 you will no longer be able to buy complete new 2 strokes in, which is uber gay.

Size?
Use?
Budget?
Proximity to dealers?

·
Registered
nissan
228 Posts
2 strokes will be here for many years to come, the direct injected ones aren't getting discontinued. I have a 150hp Etec 2 stroke which is excellent. Quieter than my mates 60hp yamaha 4 stroke at high speeds and really economical. I just got a new 4hp Suzuki 4 stroke for my tinny and it seems ok so far.

It really depends on the size of your boat and what you want it to do, if you are only doing occasional short trips then a 2 stroke wilm be much cheaper, especially a cheap carby one. If you are going to do a heap of hours go for a 4 stroke or direct injected 2 stroke.

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
2 strokes will be here for many years to come
2 strokes, in my definition, are linkage controlled and carburetted engines not complex EFi's.

Saying Etecs are engines is a step too far in my book.

Its Optimax or TLDi in EFi 2 strokes or Id say dont bother.

·
Registered
nissan
1,841 Posts
Merc optimax for 2's
Honda BF for 4's.

2's are on their way out no doubt about it. Global market is getting smaller and smaller and the 4-strokes are so close now to eclipsing them in every angle, there would be no logic. Just like bikes, the 4's are getting better by the day.

Would never touch an evinrude, just me. I value my life too much.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
I will be working towards getting a boat next year and was wondering what would be the best outboard, a 2 stroke or 4 stroke, and which brand.
Mate from time to time you will hear some unsubstantiated drivel, I am on my third boat and have had a few small problems over the years but this has all been associated with long periods of non use (8 to 9 months) while working away, which can effect any motor and particularly transmission seals.

As mentioned in another thread I take mine out 50K and it has never let me down, if I didn't have confidence in it I wouldn't take it out that far, I'm not crazy. I have a 5.5 half cab plate boat with a 115 E-Tec as do a number of boats up here, a mate has an Optimax with which he is happy.

My decision to buy the E-Tec a few years ago was based on transom weight and fuel eco, which was much better than the 4st of the time, this is not as big of a factor now.

I did a lot of research before the purchase and found no evidence of it leading to a bad decision, motors cost a lot of money which I can't afford to waste, and these 2 strokes will be around for years, it is the ordinary 2 stroke which will disappear from our shores (but strangely will be available in many other countries for years to come).

Mate, do your homework and base your decision on fact not fiction.

·
Registered
nissan
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mate from time to time you will hear some unsubstantiated drivel, I am on my third boat and have had a few small problems over the years but this has all been associated with long periods of non use (8 to 9 months) while working away, which can effect any motor and particularly transmission seals.

As mentioned in another thread I take mine out 50K and it has never let me down, if I didn't have confidence in it I wouldn't take it out that far, I'm not crazy. I have a 5.5 half cab plate boat with a 115 E-Tec as do a number of boats up here, a mate has an Optimax with which he is happy.

My decision to buy the E-Tec a few years ago was based on transom weight and fuel eco, which was much better than the 4st of the time, this is not as big of a factor now.

I did a lot of research before the purchase and found no evidence of it leading to a bad decision, motors cost a lot of money which I can't afford to waste, and these 2 strokes will be around for years, it is the ordinary 2 stroke which will disappear from our shores (but strangely will be available in many other countries for years to come).

Mate, do your homework and base your decision on fact not fiction.
Ross the boat I want is a 5.8 metre, if i can stretch to the 6.4 I will but not knowing anything really about boats and their motors I thought I would start to research now, kind of gives me 8 months to get it right.

Now I would have thought a 4 stroke would have more torque to be able to handle a larger boat, but you say you have a 5.5 and it goes well, looking at cost if I did go for the 4 stroke then I might only be able to get the smaller size.

Oh and if I can fit down the side of the house has a big part to play in the decision:rolleyes:

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
Ross the boat I want is a 5.8 metre, if i can stretch to the 6.4 I will but not knowing anything really about boats and their motors I thought I would start to research now, kind of gives me 8 months to get it right.

Now I would have thought a 4 stroke would have more torque to be able to handle a larger boat, but you say you have a 5.5 and it goes well, looking at cost if I did go for the 4 stroke then I might only be able to get the smaller size.

Oh and if I can fit down the side of the house has a big part to play in the decision:rolleyes:
You are doing the right thing Mate, I spent months researching my upgrade from an open 4.75 Quinnie to the 5.5 plate half cab I bought. I wanted to go big enough for safety long distances offshore but small enough to get good economy with low running costs, which are higher on 4st. There is some truth in your torque observation.
My 5.5 has a beam of 2.4 and max beam without special permits is 2.5 (or it was when I bought mine). What is the main use of the boat going to be?
Know what you mean mate, I have a mongrel driveway with an Island in the culdesac opposite my driveway entrance, and once I get in I have about 100mm between the rock wall at the side of the house and the guttering, fun fun fun, my wife cringes every time I back it in.

·
Registered
nissan
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You are doing the right thing Mate, I spent months researching my upgrade from an open 4.75 Quinnie to the 5.5 plate half cab I bought. I wanted to go big enough for safety long distances offshore but small enough to get good economy with low running costs, which are higher on 4st. There is some truth in your torque observation.
My 5.5 has a beam of 2.4 and max beam without special permits is 2.5 (or it was when I bought mine). What is the main use of the boat going to be?
Know what you mean mate, I have a mongrel driveway with an Island in the culdesac opposite my driveway entrance, and once I get in I have about 100mm between the rock wall at the side of the house and the guttering, fun fun fun, my wife cringes every time I back it in.
The main use will be family cruising, fishing and maybe some overnight stuff out at the islands so it needs to be big enough to carry a tent and fridge without falling over them. The boat I like has walk through transome either side of the outboard so it would be great for snorkling and such.

Is the beam the widest point of the hull? I have 2.8 metres down the side of the house and the boat has a 2.4 meter beam.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
The main use will be family cruising, fishing and maybe some overnight stuff out at the islands so it needs to be big enough to carry a tent and fridge without falling over them. The boat I like has walk through transome either side of the outboard so it would be great for snorkling and such.

Is the beam the widest point of the hull? I have 2.8 metres down the side of the house and the boat has a 2.4 meter beam.
Beam given is widest point of the boat, when I bought mine I wanted the widest beam I could get for the length I was after, some serious consideration has to be given to this as too wide beam on a shorter boat may sometimes lead to stability problems especially when the seas get up and your in a following sea.

My driveway is similar to yours, I have 2.8m but the house roof line sticks out and only misses my canopy by 100mm max (if I line it up perfectly).

I have a transom door but only on one side, I had this put in to accommodate my wife's hip problem as the boat is very high sided.

I can lay across the boat inside the half cab for a kip if I need to, I bought this one to do similar things to you, like go across to Fraser and pull into Wathumba Creek, anchor up and spend the night, but haven't conned the missus into that one yet.

My boat is probably more setup for offshore fishing but I have plenty of room to walk around. One thing to remember with transom doors is they can reduce the amount of room you have for extra batteries which need to be at the back to minimise the pounding they can take when the seas are up, this made things a bit awkward for me with the kill tank in the back so I carry a 900 jumper pack in a crevice beside the door.

Mate, have a suggestion, in a couple of weeks, when I get back from NZ, I'll pm you and see if we can organise a get together one day and I can take you out off Mooloolaba for a fish and run, this may give you a better idea of what size boat will suit your requirements.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Whatever you can afford. You will need more money for rego, EPIRB replacements, flares, trailer bits, fishing gear, 6mth services & SWMBO presents ;)

·
Registered
Nissan GUII 3L Patrol
388 Posts
2 Stroke for Speed
4 Stroke for Torque

For a family fishing, fun and ski boat you would be hard pressed to go past a 4 stroke, clean, no mixing, power down low ( perfect for pulling tubes etc..... )

Here is my toy having a bit of fun at Nagambie

50hp Tohatsu 2 stroke ( stock except for reeds ) and 19p prop. Top Speed 106 kph

There are not many 4 strokes under 150-200hp that can push 100kph. But this 50hp 2 stroke will struggle to pull a skier up....but my mates 40hp 4 stroke does it far easier. But his top speed is only around 67-70kph. gloat gloat gloat

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
4,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Whatever you can afford. You will need more money for rego, EPIRB replacements, flares, trailer bits, fishing gear, 6mth services & SWMBO presents ;)
Yeah rego I know about, how often do you change your EPIRB I thought it was only if it got used, and whats SWMBO

·
Registered
436 Posts
EPIRB is whenever it expires (sticker on EPIRB) some can be tested some can't. Some are 7 years. I think they are getting better at it and the industry isn't ripping everyone off as much as they used to for compulsory safety gear.

Same goes for flares they typically expire every 3 years but check them before you buy them as some shops try and cycle the really out of date ones to the front of the line. Not that the cost is an issue but big fines for out of date safety gear.

EPIRBs (Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons) (Maritime Safety Queensland)

SWMBO = She Who Must Be Obeyed = Wife or better half.

·
Registered
Nissan GUII 3L Patrol
388 Posts
If your prop riding how does the engine get cooled? Do they have a modified water intake?
Yeah we have a DIY low water pick up which comprises of a 6 inch length of garden hose,
usually when running with the engine this high we also run a small tube off where the expelled water comes out.... up past the driver and out the side..... this way you can ensure that water is still being picked up without having to constantly look out the back.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts