Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first up,the back door doesn't seem to close enough for the light switch,point the troll up a hill or over a bump and the interior lights start flashing like a disco,is there a quick fix for this?
and second question is the 4.5 runs fine on petrol,switch it to gas and it's a struggle to hold idle,sounds like a major miss when you hit the pedal,hoping to fix this myself before i have to go to a mechanic.
Any ideas for either problem would be great
thanks in advance
:cheers:

·
Registered
nissan
55 Posts
hey, had the first prob when i got mine. solution is to fit 33 inch tyres. fixed! now i have an anoying squeak.
another solution, less dollars, is to put a fridge magnet where the switch contacts.
as for the gas, mine has a lumpy idle but runs fine, what gas system do you have?
Paul

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have a similar intermittent fault with my 4.5 gas. All of a sundden its struggles at idle (shuddering badly) and will stall unless i flick it to petrol. Give it a bit of throttle and its gets worse suggesting to me a lack of gas. Was happening daily up to the point where i couldn't run it on gas. Then a few day later, no problems and hasn't happened for weeks. Mechanic mate reckon a sticky converter, waiting to install and snorkel before i send it too him for a gas system service and a dyno tune.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats exactly what mines doing,but mine won't come back to being normal,without sounding to rough,would it be worth giving the mixer a light tap with a hammer,similar to a dodgy starter motor?

·
She's apples
nissan patrol
1,063 Posts
Problem A.

I fixed the issue with my back door like this.

1. Go to Bunnings(or similar).
2. Purchase a clear door handle wall protector(20mmx20mmx6mm), it is one of those little square rubber things with a sticky back. You put it on your wall to protect the wall where the door handle would normally hit.
3. Stick it to the body where the light switch pushes against.
4. Have a beer.

NOTE: if anyone tells you there is a light switch in the big door lock, they are lying. To test this, open both back doors so the interior light comes on. Now push the light switch in and see if the light goes out. (This is applicable to my 99 wagon and my old 98 wagon, newer models may be different)

Problem B.

No idea.

Whenever mine starts to run crap (after 8-10,000km) it is telling me to get it serviced. Apart from being slow and thirsty, it runs and idles great on both gas and petrol, can't tell the difference between the 2 unless towing where the gas seems to lack torque.

·
Registered
NISSAN GU PATROL
694 Posts
For the rough idle with your gas.

I had same problem, First i made sure plugs and leads were good, I had to change leads and it was much better, Faulty Plugs/Leads/Points are more noticable when running on LPG, it ran much better on petrol too.

Still had some problems with idling on lpg, Make sure the back plate of the convertor is not loose and sucking in air, Mine was. Still had problems and tuned the convertor as good as i could, First you need to do the fast speed and then the idle, if you dont know how better of taking it to an lpg tuner,
I managed to get it running good, untill the next morning and runs like crap again, i tuned it a few time and got it running good but it just kept on changing the next day or after a short run.

I took it to my LPG guy and he tuned it for me as good as he could and advised me that the convertor wont hold tune, but its been running pretty reasonable since then, and that was two months ago. Only charged me $60.

·
Registered
238 Posts
t-bone,
maybe..? i'm not really familiar with a converter and how it works excatly so i don't know if there's any benefit, but couldn't hurt as long as you don't hit it too hard. Although i think bad gas, old gas or gas residue goes "gluey" and this is what is probably what causes the mixer to be sticky.. happy to be corrected.

Try wriggling all the solenoids and connectors around the converter and gas lines, i did this which may or may not have helped solve the issue but it the only thing i've done and as i said before its been runny "sweet" for a few weeks.

·
Registered
nissan
115 Posts
For the rough idle with your gas.

I had same problem, First i made sure plugs and leads were good, I had to change leads and it was much better, Faulty Plugs/Leads/Points are more noticable when running on LPG, it ran much better on petrol too.

Still had some problems with idling on lpg, Make sure the back plate of the convertor is not loose and sucking in air, Mine was. Still had problems and tuned the convertor as good as i could, First you need to do the fast speed and then the idle, if you dont know how better of taking it to an lpg tuner,
I managed to get it running good, untill the next morning and runs like crap again, i tuned it a few time and got it running good but it just kept on changing the next day or after a short run.

I took it to my LPG guy and he tuned it for me as good as he could and advised me that the convertor wont hold tune, but its been running pretty reasonable since then, and that was two months ago. Only charged me $60.

x2 i did the same with with mine, but i replaced the convertor now it runs sweet

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks guys,
still none the wiser but all info and ideas have been taken on board,no tappy tap with hammer and drink more beer!
done.Will post again once it goes into the shop{if ever}
:cheers:

·
Registered
nissan
32 Posts
Had problem one when i bought my truck. Got one of those felt pads that you stick under furniture so you dont scratch floorboards and stuck it where the switch hits the body. Problem solved.

Can't help with the rough idle though mate, sounds likes a few of the other boys here might have a few good ideas ;)

·
Registered
nissan
171 Posts
same problem with rear door switch

put a couple of washers under the screw, fixed for a bit until i got the ****s with something and slammed the door. Back to square one

disconnected the switch and binned it. no problems.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts