Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gq
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys... I recently Bought a 2 stroke 50cc scooter for transport while I fix the patrol it needed a top End freshen up so I bought a 70cc kit and jets etc to do the job... All went well... Assembled with 2t oil lubing all Parts. It started first hit of the button so finished the assembly of small things.
Once back together it was dead won't even fire with a bit of ether up it. is it possible that it would foul the plug in that short period being that there was a lot of oil used on components during assembly? The plug still has some spark but when I used to race motocross I seem to remember that when a 2t done a plug sometimes they had spark but not enough... I can't remember it was 14 years ago lol.

Can anyone confirm?

Cheers

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,348 Posts
A good rinse with the right ratio fuel maybe? I'm no expert though.

A CDI kit is well worth the money if it doesn't already have one.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
547 Posts
wait im confused. It started first hit of the button so finished the assembly of small things?

It started after the rebuild?
It doesn't start after the rebuild?

·
The Prodigal Child Has Returned
nissan
7,286 Posts
I wouldn't think you fouled a plug if it was a new plug but if it was an old plug it might be on it's last legs. I would also just chuck a bit fuel in to flush it out a bit. and leave the plug out to air it off and the and try again.

Whats the carby like ????

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gq
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Carb is as it was stock didn't get to pull it to Reset because it wouldn't start... It was the old plug with who knows how many klms on it... It's done 22 or so thousand ks

It ran like a charm since got it so there hasn't been an issue until now I'll go walk some fuel down the plug hole and turn it over see how that goes...

Hoping it's just the plug I don't have a compression tester to be sure something didn't go wrong but everything went together smooth

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gq
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've just mixed some 2t up and syringed it into the bore and kicked it over and repeated plug has been out for a couple Of hours still no sign of life... Gah I hate when this sort of thing happens hope. I didn't waste money on the big bore kit

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,348 Posts
Test for spark? Doesnt take a lot of compression to get these things going. The kill switch hasnt somehow earthed itself to the frame when you shut it off? dicky kill switch?

All my issues with 2-strokes come down to the ignition. Check everything ignition related I would.

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gq
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is sparking but it's not a strong spark imo... But I've never tested it until now as it always went so I have nothing to compare it to. my motocross days (cr80)etc they would have spark but no go when the plug was in the barrel new plug and they would so I'm Hoping it's that just very coincidental I mean it was very well lubed up when It started and I didn't rev I to clear it up etc just switched straight back off

I love 2 strokes because of their simplicity... I was doing my own top end at 12 yo but they always get you eventually lol

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,348 Posts
yeah mate live and learn hey, ive had my share of head scratching.....

Spray a bit of start ya bastard down the intake and give it a kick?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
547 Posts
if it starts and runs and dies quick id say fuel delivery, as bloke said start ya bastred.

kick it/start whilst spraying ol cheapo fly spray into the carb throat/airbox.

Ive started 30 odd year ol IT490s with flyspray.

2 smokes are simple....fuel, spark, bang. Thats all.

Check the first 2 (fuel,spark)

how much oil did you lube the bore/piston/rings with during the rebuild? may have well rooted the plug.

I restored an 82 CR80 and when it sits under blanket up to 6 months at a time, i squirt up to 100-200ml of engine oil in the spark plug and rap on the kick start a dozen times and replace plug.. (not 2 smoke, ol delo 400) 2 smoke and moisture = moisture wins.

It starts 3rd kick and smoky, but thats to be expected.

unless you used a litre during rebuild I cant see it killing a plug. But for 5 bucks give it a new one and see.

should result in bang

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gq
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Carburettor is rooted.
What makes you say that mate?

I tried start ya bastard and no go, not even a pop out of it fuel down into barrel plug back in and still absolutely nothing

·
Registered
nissan gu td42t
625 Posts
they would have spark but no go when the plug was in the barrel

Iv come across this a few times over the years with some 2 stroke bikes iv had.

Miss my old cr500. Was the only bike iv had that would throw me over the handlebars just kickin it over.

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
I used to have motorbikes, all sorts. If they didn't go it was either spark or fuel.

Take the carby off and clean it out. Filters, jets and float seal. At least you'll know that's one part of it fixed, it's pretty straightforward. If that doesn't work then do a clean-up of the electrics.

·
Registered
nissan gu td42t
625 Posts
Try taking the spark plug cap off the lead and see what sort of a spark you get.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
547 Posts
just put a screw driver in the spark plug cap, touch it to the barrel and whilst holding the shaft of the driver start it.

If you feel the love through your teeth its good, if not its not good.

dont wear shoes either, bare foot is best :)

Reactions: Inbits

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gq
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll give that a go tomorrow after work spud truck.... 
I need to grab some plugs so I can do a couple of plug chops to tune it for the 70cc so I'll be pulling the carb and upping the jet size. Aswell so I'll be covering both bases... Hopefully it's nice and simple I'll. Update with more info tomorrow.

For now I've got the plug out and also have rinsed the barrel out with some fresh 2t mix

The oil I used was full synthetic race oil for my old bike so that may not have helped the situation?

I've been bit before motomuzz lol

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
10,995 Posts
Just replace the plug, that'll eliminate one of the main suspects and they're cheap anyway.
Have you double checked the spark lead is making a good connection? Tested resistance?

Since you've tried start ya bastard, kicking it etc, it may have flooded.

if it starts and runs and dies quick id say fuel delivery, as bloke said start ya bastred.

kick it/start whilst spraying ol cheapo fly spray into the carb throat/airbox.

Ive started 30 odd year ol IT490s with flyspray.

2 smokes are simple....fuel, spark, bang. Thats all.

Check the first 2 (fuel,spark)

how much oil did you lube the bore/piston/rings with during the rebuild? may have well rooted the plug.

I restored an 82 CR80 and when it sits under blanket up to 6 months at a time, i squirt up to 100-200ml of engine oil in the spark plug and rap on the kick start a dozen times and replace plug.. (not 2 smoke, ol delo 400) 2 smoke and moisture = moisture wins.

It starts 3rd kick and smoky, but thats to be expected.

unless you used a litre during rebuild I cant see it killing a plug. But for 5 bucks give it a new one and see.

should result in bang
IT's are cool old bikes.

We still have my dad's old IT200 down in the shed.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
547 Posts
lol you caught me.

Dont run in on full syn any way bud. run a few tanks of active 2t or similar mineral.

Your first post stated new jets for the big bore kit. are they in?

Might be too rich on the pilot circuit?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts