1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Part of the furniture
nissan
4,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
alright guys,
reasonable reponces please..
i'd prefer not to have answers like 'build a 4x4 park'..
why you might ask, because its a 5 minute drive from Loveday 4x4 Adventures.

oh, and the hardest thing to consider, it CAN NOT be profitable, ie business!

im stumped, i cant think of anything.

and for you nuts out there, 20 acres with 87 megs of water!

Cheers,

·
Registered
nissan
1,339 Posts
A hobby farm with fruit trees, heaps of fruit and veg, and a couple of easy animals?

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
It really depends on so many things. Location, contour and water for a start.

I had an Uncle in Canada who used his land for turf farming. After many years and as the nearby city expanded, he sold it as a subdivision and lived on the proceeds for the rest of his life.

Very important to bear in mind that land is a great investment...they're not making it any more. Just hang onto it I'd say. Something will crop up...maybe not this year or even next, but it will.

·
Gunner
nissan patrol
4,162 Posts
Put in something like a crop that will not give you any return for a couple of years, ie fruit trees (baby ones). That way you have water to feed them but they wont show you a profit for a couple of years. Maybe by then you will be in a position to make a better decision about it. Or plant it in wood trees, ie pine, they will take ages to grow and then further down the track (0 - 20 years) you could profit from it.

Just no growing those funny tomato plants that don't bear tomatoes, LMAO

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Build yourself a tank out of an old cat dozer, fit a big arse potato cannon and go scaring the neighbours :)

Thats what Id do preferably with a howlin pair of 6-71s

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,227 Posts
20 acres of non-profitable land you supposedly don't want to 4x4 on... Sell it, buy something interesting (that is if you own it, you haven't really described how you are connected to it, own? rent?family?other?).

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,227 Posts
ah of course you post in the same minute that i do. Yeah I wouldn't buy it if I couldn't make any money off it and didn't want to use it 4x4 dirt bikes etc.

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
How much. What would it rent for? Buy it if you can get an acceptable return and then just hold on to it.

I bought a terrace house in Ultimo, Sydney years ago. Always rented and managed by an agent. I never thought about it. Eventually the council put in a Monorail that stopped at the end of my street. Prices went through the roof and I cashed in.

With property it's not the timing when you buy but the length of time you are in the market that counts. If you can do it without much strain...then do it.

·
Premium Member
Triton n Lovin it.
27,093 Posts
Plant Cedar trees and harvest in 20yrs time.;)

Have a look at what Red Cedar is worth.:cool:

·
The Bear
nissan
2,407 Posts
If its a nice area out of town a bit and got a couple of trees on it away from the house, stick a couple of fire pits in, and a bush toilet( deep hole), and later a skillion roof near the fire pits, and tin roof shelter shed and water tank and a couple of wooden tables, and offer free overnight camping for grey nomads, and bona fide travellers with camping gear or trailers, you'll never be without a friend or visitors. No power required, no lighting required, get them to sign an injury/damage waiver and leave them to it. Couple of house rules (make up your own, like take your rubbish with you, dont leave a mess). limit stays to 24 hours/overnight only or other by arrangement.

You'll probably find that if you have the materials, You'll soon find someone to build the shelter for you for free, and mow the grass etc.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
ask the local council what your allowed to do with it.
I've posted this here before, but a bloke on the bike forum bought land to ride bikes on, council came down on him like hell. He had to get permits to ride on it - in the end the permit allowed him 6minutes a week .. in other words the land maybe useless totally.

·
Registered
nissan
4,454 Posts
Live off it, have chucks and pigs, a cow or two and grow your own veggies, you could even grow your own fuel for a gennie

1 - 20 of 30 Posts