Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Fkd up the title.. landycruiser HAHA. oops. Anyway...

Currently have found a GU 4.2TD for 15k with around 250k's. I have also found a 1994 80 Series 4.2 non turbo diesel with 310k's for 12k. Both are in good condition. Both have hardly if any aftermarket extras.

For a weekend and a few trips a year 4wd which would you choose? I am interested in some oppinions and while it may seem obvious to you which choice is best, the GU is still 3-4 grand more depending on how much I can talk them down.

I will look to put some common trip mods on the car like dual batteries, snorkel, a lift and some bigger tyres etc. Are mods cheaper for the GU or 80 series generally speaking?

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

·
Registered
nissan gu
1,195 Posts
for $15,000 that patrol is Cheap....& are you really serious about the title Patrol or cruiser? pft!

·
Registered
nissan
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha I like patrols :) but I also have a lot of friends who rave about 80 series.

The GU seems like the better buy here though..

·
Registered
nissan
645 Posts
Mate, I was in the exact same spot a couple of months ago. Ok, well not exactly, I had settled on an 80 series Cruiser GXL 4.2L TD. The missus said why don't we buy a newer post 2000 car. I informed here that that would bump the budget up by 10k, she was happy and I bought the Patrol.

Anyway, my criteria for my 4x4 was

Big Turbo Diesel engine (4.2L)
Solid front and rear axles,
coil springs
wagon
7+ seats
Power windows
auto hubs or constant 4x4.

To keep the cost down I had chosen the 80 GXL for a budget of 20K and was settled. As I said the missus wanted something newer so I got the 99GU ST wagon 4.2L TD for 28K. It already had snorkel, 2" lift, 3" exhaust, 12 pound boost and fuel pump tune.

From what I gather from your post and budget, you are looking at the DX Landy or DX patrol. Both are great vehicles, but the cruiser has a slightly weaker front diff. Even non turbo the cruiser isn't a complete slug, but the patrol will have more power. Both have manual hubs.

If it were me and for a matter of 3-4 grand I would go the Patrol. Or if you are a Cruiser lover, have a look at the 80 GXL with the turbo diesel.

·
Registered
nissan
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mate, I was in the exact same spot a couple of months ago. Ok, well not exactly, I had settled on an 80 series Cruiser GXL 4.2L TD. The missus said why don't we buy a newer post 2000 car. I informed here that that would bump the budget up by 10k, she was happy and I bought the Patrol.

Anyway, my criteria for my 4x4 was

Big Turbo Diesel engine (4.2L)
Solid front and rear axles,
coil springs
wagon
7+ seats
Power windows
auto hubs or constant 4x4.

To keep the cost down I had chosen the 80 GXL for a budget of 20K and was settled. As I said the missus wanted something newer so I got the 99GU ST wagon 4.2L TD for 28K. It already had snorkel, 2" lift, 3" exhaust, 12 pound boost and fuel pump tune.

From what I gather from your post and budget, you are looking at the DX Landy or DX patrol. Both are great vehicles, but the cruiser has a slightly weaker front diff. Even non turbo the cruiser isn't a complete slug, but the patrol will have more power. Both have manual hubs.

If it were me and for a matter of 3-4 grand I would go the Patrol. Or if you are a Cruiser lover, have a look at the 80 GXL with the turbo diesel.
Mate thanks heaps for your input. The patrol is actually an ST. Good to hear your GU is running well. I don't really have a loyalty either way, I just prefer the look of the patrol and they seem a better 'value' truck. The landcruiser 'tax' some people expect is quite huge.

·
Registered
nissan
645 Posts
A 4.2L TD ST for 15K, that's quite cheap. There is either something wrong with it (flogged out) or he is under selling himself. Even without mods they usually go for around 23K. If nothing wrong with it, go for it. Make sure you get all the REVS and mechanical checks done.

The 4.2 is great and easy to work on with lots of room under the hood (pre 02 model). I have Rust protection and second battery tray and still have loads of room for compressor, breathers, dual battery system etc.

·
Registered
nissan
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok I have just discovered that the patrol has 340,000 km on it. It is basically a mates who is offering it at trade in type price to me first. It is also a country car so all it's KM's were done in the middle of nowhere.

340,000km's... sounds like a lot as I am used to driving around 4 cylindar city cars. Can these 4.2TD engines really go into the 500-600's reliably?

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Yep you pay extra for the "Toyota"(woops i swore) badge
Always have and always will
An 80 series TD id think about,after driving they have heaps of power
Not sure how the 80 series N/a would go or even the patrol TD
Really depends on your budget and what the car has to do
Ive been in a factory (non modded) 80 series 4.2 turbo auto and this thing will accelorate up hills pulling a tandem trailer
(with a small truck on the trailer)from 110Ks
Really depend s what you want

·
Registered
nissan gu
1,195 Posts
340,000k's wow someone has just run it in for you still another trouble free 200,000k's to go yet.

·
Anger management pi$$es me off
nissan
7,539 Posts
Patrol:strong diffs,gearbox,great motor,nce to drive comfy can drop the clutch and not worry about breaking somthing.

80 series:eek:ver priced,weak drive line really the only thing i like about them is the motor.

·
Registered
Nissan
586 Posts
Yep you pay extra for the "Toyota"(woops i swore) badge
Always have and always will
An 80 series TD id think about,after driving they have heaps of power
Not sure how the 80 series N/a would go or even the patrol TD
Really depends on your budget and what the car has to do
Ive been in a factory (non modded) 80 series 4.2 turbo auto and this thing will accelorate up hills pulling a tandem trailer
(with a small truck on the trailer)from 110Ks
Really depend s what you want
I have read somewhere that even though on paper the 1hz was more powerful than the td42, the latter had better pickup and felt more powerful in driving.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Take the GU, it may have a few more kms but is newer in age.

·
Registered
40 Posts
What did you end up getting?

I used to own an 80 series TD and now have a 06 4.2 patrol.

80 series had heaps more grunt, went like a rocket (was the 12 valve TD model), but I must say I prefer the patrol. The only other thing I liked about the 80, much roomier inside.

Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
Nissan
586 Posts
What did you end up getting?

I used to own an 80 series TD and now have a 06 4.2 patrol.

80 series had heaps more grunt, went like a rocket (was the 12 valve TD model), but I must say I prefer the patrol. The only other thing I liked about the 80, much roomier inside.

Cheers
Dave
Roomier than the Gu? Wow!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts