Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a 2001 GU patrol auto on fuel/LPG and it cuts out when I have passengers in the back seats. It's got me stumped and I have had to have a few tows prior to figuring out the issue.
1, start car on fuel.
2, get adult size teenagers in the back seat.
3, put in drive/reverse and accelerate.
4, car cuts out as if it ran out of fuel.
5, get kids out as seat has to have no weight to switch over to gas and then drive them to school.
6, kids get out and I can drive on fuel.

There doesn't seem to be any wiring I can see that I would think to be weight affected.
I'm just looking to see if anyone has encountered it previously and can offer some advise please.

Adam

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
3,787 Posts
Hi,
I have a 2001 GU patrol auto on fuel/LPG and it cuts out when I have passengers in the back seats. It's got me stumped and I have had to have a few tows prior to figuring out the issue.
1, start car on fuel.
2, get adult size teenagers in the back seat.
3, put in drive/reverse and accelerate.
4, car cuts out as if it ran out of fuel.
5, get kids out as seat has to have no weight to switch over to gas and then drive them to school.
6, kids get out and I can drive on fuel.

There doesn't seem to be any wiring I can see that I would think to be weight affected.
I'm just looking to see if anyone has encountered it previously and can offer some advise please.

Adam
When you say “passengers in the back seats” are you talking about 2nd or 3rd row? What happens when the seats are folded up and you load it up to a similar weight as with passengers?

There are access covers for the fuel tank sender units under the carpets, so not entirely impossible that a load in the back seat / luggage area can cause wiring issues. I’d start there if you cannot see anything wrong from underneath.

Of course, with gas systems it’s anyone’s guess as they were all aftermarket installs. A lot of people are getting rid of these systems and going back to petrol only, due to reliability issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you say “passengers in the back seats” are you talking about 2nd or 3rd row? What happens when the seats are folded up and you load it up to a similar weight as with passengers?

There are access covers for the fuel tank sender units under the carpets, so not entirely impossible that a load in the back seat / luggage area can cause wiring issues. I’d start there if you cannot see anything wrong from underneath.

Of course, with gas systems it’s anyone’s guess as they were all aftermarket installs. A lot of people are getting rid of these systems and going back to petrol only, due to reliability issues.

I hadn't thought to put weight in the back with the seats up, I'll give it a crack.

It's the second row seats, I have drawers in the back.

LPG is my saviour when it happens.

Ill let you know.

Cheers for the advice.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
56,227 Posts
I hadn't thought to put weight in the back with the seats up, I'll give it a crack.

It's the second row seats, I have drawers in the back.

LPG is my saviour when it happens.

Ill let you know.

Cheers for the advice.
I think that is a very good idea from Andrie, it is certainly sounding like an issue resulting from the gas setup. As Andrie said, many are backing away due to numerous issues, there are a few threads on it.

·
Premium Member
Y62
2,637 Posts
With LPG fitted the main fuel tank will now be below the second row seats. I would be checking where they have run the modified fuel supply hose, maybe it's getting squashed. with the extra weight.

Also worth checking the tank breather hose for the same problem.

·
Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
4,291 Posts
With LPG fitted the main fuel tank will now be below the second row seats. I would be checking where they have run the modified fuel supply hose, maybe it's getting squashed. with the extra weight.

Also worth checking the tank breather hose for the same problem.
It would be worth checking the body mounts.

·
Registered
1998 Nissan Patrol Wagon RD28ETi
441 Posts
Check under the rear of the front passenger seat. Lift the carpet as there is a wiring harness that comes through the floor and it has fuel system wiring. I found out the hard way about the wiring harness - installed an amp under the front passenger seat. drilled a hole for securing amp, not realising there was a wiring harness there. The drill bit did a bit of damage to the some of the wiring.

Obviously with bigger people in the 2nd row their feet will be sitting on this area where the wiring harness is. This maybe where they tapped into the wiring harness for the gas system.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts