Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I have been reading through this section a lot and can't find a definitive answer.

What are the size limitations on a stock height GR/GU Patrol running a set of 8x16 wheels with a 5 offset (ET5)? I need to order up a full set of tyres (Probably Yokohama Geolandar MT or Toyo Open Country MT) but i am getting utterly confused with the sizing.

At some point in the future i intend to install a lift kit, but not right now (funds)

It currently has the standard 265/75/16's on there and i wanted to go up a bit larger if possible. People keep saying 33" this and 34" that but i live in the UK and we don't use those sizes. Subsequently I’m having a hard time getting my head around what i should buy.

Any advice from those in the know would be helpful.

Cheers!

Chris :wink:

·
Registered
NISSAN
495 Posts
Hey all,
I have been reading through this section a lot and can't find a definitive answer.

What are the size limitations on a stock height GR/GU Patrol running a set of 8x16 wheels with a 5 offset (ET5)? I need to order up a full set of tyres (Probably Yokohama Geolandar MT or Toyo Open Country MT) but i am getting utterly confused with the sizing.

At some point in the future i intend to install a lift kit, but not right now (funds)

It currently has the standard 265/75/16's on there and i wanted to go up a bit larger if possible. People keep saying 33" this and 34" that but i live in the UK and we don't use those sizes. Subsequently I’m having a hard time getting my head around what i should buy.

Any advice from those in the know would be helpful.

Cheers!

Chris :wink:
Hey guishnu,

I will put you out of your misery on this one as it has also done my head in given that tyres jump from metric to imperial especially once you go 16":headwall:. Anyway, without getting into the maths and keeping it simple. 285 x 75 X 16 is near enough to 33' Approx 32.something.
You can fit these easily under the troll and no rubbing and gives you about 25mm lift. I just fitted the new BFG Goodridge KM2's Muddy's that are this size and my 2 inch lift is still in the wagon( gotta fit it soon). Your actual speed O reading may also go out a touch (1 to 3km higher than actual speed travelled) as mine did, but GPS helps me see the differences compared to in car speed O.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey guishnu,

I will put you out of your misery on this one as it has also done my head in given that tyres jump from metric to imperial especially once you go 16":headwall:. Anyway, without getting into the maths and keeping it simple. 285 x 75 X 16 is near enough to 33' Approx 32.something.
You can fit these easily under the troll and no rubbing and gives you about 25mm lift. I just fitted the new BFG Goodridge KM2's Muddy's that are this size and my 2 inch lift is still in the wagon( gotta fit it soon). Your actual speed O reading may also go out a touch (1 to 3km higher than actual speed travelled) as mine did, but GPS helps me see the differences compared to in car speed O.
Hope this helps.
Great response!
Thanks mate, im guessing it's a backspacing issue that prevents you running larger than 285 section? So if was running a better (read minus) offset then much larger wheels (eg: 305's) will fit?

·
Registered
NISSAN
495 Posts
hre are some pics for you to get ideas of 285x75x16

Great response!
Thanks mate, im guessing it's a backspacing issue that prevents you running larger than 285 section? So if was running a better (read minus) offset then much larger wheels (eg: 305's) will fit?
305's will fit. but you may find it will rub on the wheel arch without the lift. especially when 4x4 ing.

I have put side by side 305 x 75 x16 on 16 x 10 inch rim.. the 305 is only just a few mm taller next to the 285 x 75 x16 on standard 16 x 8 inch rims.

I have posted some picks of the 285 x75 x 16 on my rig that are brand new. Also I have posted up before and after the 50mm toughdog lift.
hope this helps

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
528 Posts
with your standard offset rims, the 285x75x16 is actually too big, but where it will rub is either on the inner plastic in front of the front wheels or on the inner metal at teh rear when fully articulated? Neither of these should concern you and even when lifted you may still drag on the inner rear guard when articulated? If you are not lifting more than 2 inches, don't go bigger without changing the rim offset or fitting wheel spaces (not legal in all places).

·
Registered
Nissan
797 Posts
with your standard offset rims, the 285x75x16 is actually too big, but where it will rub is either on the inner plastic in front of the front wheels or on the inner metal at teh rear when fully articulated? Neither of these should concern you and even when lifted you may still drag on the inner rear guard when articulated? If you are not lifting more than 2 inches, don't go bigger without changing the rim offset or fitting wheel spaces (not legal in all places).
Does that apply only to the GU or also to the GQ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts