Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gday,

I am still trying to sort out a transplant for my pooped ZD30. My current question is to do with trying to remain emissions complyant (I know some of you might laugh but its something I need to consider).

I can get my hands on a well priced fully rebuilt complete 4.2 turbo diesel from a 2003 GU wagon. Is it possible to up grade this model engine to 2006 emissions specs to suit my 2006 GU Wagon. If it is possible what am I looking at, from what I can think I need its the EGR system but what else will I need?

Cheers in advance

xmdfvmhnmjrxnjylmj lmvn rgezhgrxjyvk mtcntn (My Son, almost 2, wanted to help with this post LOL)

Reactions: Mark

·
Registered
297 Posts
The 2003 should still be a TD42Ti with factory inter cooler. Did they not all have the EGR system anyway and the (partly) electronically controlled injection pump with lift sensor on no. 1 injector?

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
8,986 Posts
^^^^yes^^^

td42ti motors all the same so far as i know.... if its non intercooled its an 02 build 03 plate.
all ti after 2003.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmmm, I might be ok then, if the change over from TD4.2 to TD4.2i was in 2002. I'll have a chat with the bloke selling it to see if its intercooled and to see is its got the elec solenoid on the fuel pump.

I am just really worried I am gunna blow thousands of dollars on a 2003 engine just to be told its not emissions compliant by some lovely chap at the department of transport.

If the 2003 engine had the same specs as the 2006 then I am safe, right???

·
Registered
nissan
383 Posts
Perhaps the certification varies between states? I thought if you change the motor you still need a certification report? Typically certification from an engineer registered in your state, or blue slip from approved workshop, no need for EPA unless emissions vary considerably.

Then the local Roads/Traffic authority makes the changes so all the VIN and Engine No. line up in next time you rego or sell on the vehicle.

The EPA can be the problem. Don't know if this is an issue in QLD. In NSW the EPA can be a real bitch.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll be welding in brand new 4.2 chassis mounts from Nissan but I suppose the welds might need approval, I have the qualification to do the welding I will just have to show my certificate. I think a phone call to the department of transport is in order to gain some clarification, I guess I'll be on hold for a few hours LOL.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu11
125 Posts
In QLD just go in and change your engine size and number and all is good. Took me about 5 minutes, mines a 2002 with an import td42t out of a Safari.

·
Registered
nissan
2,588 Posts
the KEY to the conversion is to not tell anyone you welded the new engine mounts and make sure you did a good job in getting the old ones off, most likely they will have no idea that the engine mounts even needed to be changed and its a simple engine swap that was also released in that series, just needs say a blue slip in nsw or rego check or what ever they do in other states

·
Registered
490 Posts
In a previous life I converted an FJ40 landcruiser from a 2F petrol to small block Chev.

The hurdle I had was the codes on the compliance plate for the FJ40 were including certain pollution gear & the Chev donk in no way complied, I was advised by the RTA in discussions whilst carrying out the conversion that it would need an engineers certificate due to the pollution compliance issues for the year model vs the donor engine.

I did however in a round about way get the new VP engine number recorded against my rego number without jumping through all those hoops.

Mind you, was always nervous that the Jacks would pull me up & send me for a RWC & then would have likely escalated to an engineer's certificate & lots of $$.

So getting back to the point, it would pay to check the compliance plate from an example of the "donor" vehicle vs your own, if it is the same you should be fine, any variance & you would need to check the codes to see if they are related to the engine emissions.
Good luck!

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
8,986 Posts
Any welding to chassis needs a blue slip technically. But swapping engine mounts is easy.
I would just do the swap, make sure the New welds, and grinding off the old mounts looks factory mint.
You just notify vicroads or rta etc of engine swap, only takes 10mins. They update the system with the New engine number and away you drive..... If anyone ever asks just tell em that it's all updated with vicroads.

·
Registered
nissan
33 Posts
Just be careful not to weld it too well, you may want to do it blindfolded after 30 beers to match some of the factory welds.......

1 - 16 of 16 Posts