Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

My patrol was running all good. We start of this morning on a trip to the Pilbarra and then the all went sour (long weekend does not help!). The only way I can describe it is that it feels if I am running with the handbrake on. Gear changes are very sluggish, cant keep may speed of 90 km/h without revving to 4000 on a relative flat road. All fluids are on correct levels and had a service. Does not seem to be in a limp mode. Any suggestions where to start?

Thanks
Limpie
:headwall::headwall:

·
Registered
nissan
32 Posts
Is that on both gas and petrol .... is there a big head wind ... are you towing with a full roof rack ...
my old 4.8 strugled towing a camper from melb to arrarat ... felt like i was towing the qe2 ... 80 ltrs lpg gone in 200klms .... all due to a head wind .... once headwind gone back to normal .. ...

·
Registered
nissan
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks MadMarv.
Yes on gas and petrol. No towing only a few things on the roof (my usual rig). Yes a bit of a headwind, but it did the same on turning back.

·
Registered
nissan
32 Posts
Is the vacuum on the power valve working ... you could try doing the power valve mod an see it that makes a diffrence ... when i did it my fuel usage went up .. but others stated they got better numbers .... ... looking for fuel stops every 250 to 300 klms anoyed me so much i sold mine ... i miss the off the line go but now i can go 800 + klms b4 needing a servo .... city prices much better than bush

·
Registered
nissan
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I will tinker a bit tomorrow. What changed in your performance with the pv mod?

·
Registered
nissan
32 Posts
I found it pulled up hills better on the hwy especially when towing the camper .... but fuel usage was **** for me 30/100 on gas so i put it back ... do a search on this forum re the power valve mod ... and also if you havent done it the auto cruise control mod .... now that was great .....

·
Registered
405 Posts
I found it pulled up hills better on the hwy especially when towing the camper .... but fuel usage was **** for me 30/100 on gas so i put it back ... do a search on this forum re the power valve mod ... and also if you havent done it the auto cruise control mod .... now that was great .....

whats wrong with 30L/100km on gas exactly? if you take into account that gas is half the price of ULP, its the cost equivalent of getting 15L/100km on ULP. my TD4.2 GQ only got 15L/100km

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
whats wrong with 30L/100km on gas exactly? if you take into account that gas is half the price of ULP, its the cost equivalent of getting 15L/100km on ULP. my TD4.2 GQ only got 15L/100km
I've never had a gas or dual fuel vehicle but the above reflects my understanding of LPG - you use more litres per hundred, but that is offset by the lower price of the LPG.

Any progress Limpie? I'm curious as I was going to buy a dual fuel 4.8 and down the track I still might.

·
Registered
nissan
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi All. In the end the 1 and 4 pistons' outlet valves and seals were burned. Reconed the head with hardened valves and seals. Now back to normal at 20 l per 100 combined.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts