Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, I am new to the forum and have a problem with my Patrol and am hoping someone on the forum will be able to help out with advice to solve it. I purchased my Patrol new in 2003 and have been very happy with it for over 200,000kms. Over this time I have had the glow plugs replaced, the intercooler and the upper and lower hoses and fan belt. All of which I was happy to have done. Over the last 6 months and whilst towing a caravan the Patrol has been losing power when negotiating hills (slight of otherwise). It has done this on several occasions (not all). The loss of power is gradual going from a speed of about 80-90kph down to the low 40's notwithstanding that I have the accelerator fully depressed. If I release the accelerator and reapply it the revs pick up for a very short period before losing power again. I have been unable to get the Patrol to replicate the symptoms when taking it to a dealer (twice) (even going for a drive with a tech with the van on and going up some hills). They say without experiencing the issue they cannot properly diagnose the problem. In trying to seek an answer myself I have come across this forum. I noted that one subscriber "Benton" in 2009 had a a similar problem and advice was given to him and this related to carbon deposits in the turbo. I was wondering if Benton is still out there and had the issue resolved successfully. I would very much like to hear the outcome and any other advice to assist in this issue. Thanks, DustyM.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,841 Posts
Hello All, I am new to the forum and have a problem with my Patrol and am hoping someone on the forum will be able to help out with advice to solve it. I purchased my Patrol new in 2003 and have been very happy with it for over 200,000kms. Over this time I have had the glow plugs replaced, the intercooler and the upper and lower hoses and fan belt. All of which I was happy to have done. Over the last 6 months and whilst towing a caravan the Patrol has been losing power when negotiating hills (slight of otherwise). It has done this on several occasions (not all). The loss of power is gradual going from a speed of about 80-90kph down to the low 40's notwithstanding that I have the accelerator fully depressed. If I release the accelerator and reapply it the revs pick up for a very short period before losing power again. I have been unable to get the Patrol to replicate the symptoms when taking it to a dealer (twice) (even going for a drive with a tech with the van on and going up some hills). They say without experiencing the issue they cannot properly diagnose the problem. In trying to seek an answer myself I have come across this forum. I noted that one subscriber "Benton" in 2009 had a a similar problem and advice was given to him and this related to carbon deposits in the turbo. I was wondering if Benton is still out there and had the issue resolved successfully. I would very much like to hear the outcome and any other advice to assist in this issue. Thanks, DustyM.
I have seen carbon deposits in the VNT vanes of a turbo but not in a patrol GT 2052 turbo. What this does is stop the vanes from opening as they should, this can be checked by a few methods, the one I like is to connect a bit of tubing to the VNT diaphragm and suck like crazy, you should be able to make the VNT arm rise to the top of the stroke with a little effort (it takes around 13"Hg to make arm rise, you should be able to get 18-20"Hg by mouth). If it doesn't rise then vanes could be jamming from carbon deposits, but as said I've not seen it on a Patrol turbo.
Interesting comment about releasing the accelerator and it comes good until it happens again, this really sounds like it could be a Limp issue, has your MAF been checked?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that geeyouytoo, I will bring it to the notice of the tech (patrol currently in getting looked at - again!!). Anything to find out what the problem is .. very frustrating.
DustyM

·
Registered
nissan patrol
135 Posts
1. change the fuel filter.
2. Check fuel pipe flow.
3. Fill the tank to the top.
4. put a clear hose behind the filter to see if there is an air bubble.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts