Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all...

We have just purchased a 2004 st wagon with a 3ltr Di engine. I want to put it on the dyno to get it checked out properly. The motor runs perfectly but just as a precaution i want it checked out. I called 2 places that both have good reviews, where people have said good things about ect. 1 shop is saying do the dawes valve block egr catch can (wich its already got) the other shop is saying not to do the NADS mods as its just putting a bandaid over an existing problem if you know what i mean. He described the mods as, you wouldnt put a bandaid on a cut that needed stiches. he said not to block the egr, dont worry bout a catch can as it would be lucky to catch 10%-15% of the oil and dont fit dawes valve. he said to limit boost (take away controll from computer) fit a mechanical acuator on the turbo and thats it. Altho both shops had good pionts they were saying the opposite way to go. So i dont know wich way to go, i dont want to take it to a shop and risk it tunning worse when its running ok as far as i can tell. Orded boost and ext temp guages today so would it be better to just fit them and rule out a dyno tune/check over all together.

I know theres a lot of knowledge out there about these series 3 Di engines so any help advise would be good. thanks guys.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,225 Posts
I'd go to the first one, its a main stream solution with proven value. The other guy sounds like he's treating the same problem with a different band-aid and it's not exactly proven its value.

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
3,946 Posts
The band aid part is that the failling air flow meter is what causes the over boost and other fueling issues. Taking manual control over the boost takes away your only way of knowing if/when the afm is starting to fail.

There is nothing wrong with the dawes and needle valve, there is also nothing wrong with using a boost actuator instead.
I find the vacuum system does have better control and faster spool up than the boosted vacuum pot though.

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,675 Posts
The trouble is that some mechanics would rather charge over $1000 for something than can be done for well under $100 in less than 15min.
The dawes valve boost control is so much better than factory control it makes you wonder how Nissan got it so wrong

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
Go the first guy, the second guy hasn't been around a lot of DI's by the sound of it, if you had ever seen inside the throttle body of a DI with no catch can and an unblocked EGR you would know what I mean, even though, he does inadvertently touch on one reality, fitting NADS will not fix an existing problem. The difference in drive-ability after fitting the Dawes and Needle and achieving linear boost control is significant.

If you haven't already, read this (first post particularly) for an explanation.
http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/zd30...di-heres-nads-installation-steps-logic-88214/

·
Registered
Nissan
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice fellas, I think I'll take it to the first guy, but the only thing that worries me is that the second guy say NADS is a engine killer? Blocking egr restricting boost ect, saying if the boost is spiking then there's a problem somewhere else because it shouldn't be spiking, by fitting nads your just pulling the blanket over your eyes and ignoring the real problem. (Not my words) but so many people have fitted nads, have there been any reported problems from doing these mods. And also, fitting an egt gauge is pointless because the only way to get a accurate reading is befor the turbo, with these perticular turbos. The second guy was saying.

Thanks again guys, so confusing this stuff.

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
Second guy sounds like a douche bag!
Fit the probe in the manifold to solve that problem re 'acurate' egts.
IF I had a zd the first thing I would do is everything recommended in the zd archives!!
Good luck with it :)

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,269 Posts
Thanks for the advice fellas, I think I'll take it to the first guy, but the only thing that worries me is that the second guy say NADS is a engine killer? Blocking egr restricting boost ect, saying if the boost is spiking then there's a problem somewhere else because it shouldn't be spiking, by fitting nads your just pulling the blanket over your eyes and ignoring the real problem. (Not my words) but so many people have fitted nads, have there been any reported problems from doing these mods. And also, fitting an egt gauge is pointless because the only way to get a accurate reading is befor the turbo, with these perticular turbos. The second guy was saying.

Thanks again guys, so confusing this stuff.
Not confusing at all, as said the guy has no idea of which he speaks, we have been fitting NADS for a long time, the evidence is that hundreds of us have fitted NADS and benefited greatly from it, the evidence is in the ZD30 Subsection from many posters, go in and have a look.

With EGT, he does have a small point, the most accurate place is the manifold, but do you want to pull the manifold off to do it, probably not and so do the hundreds that have placed it 50mm from the turbo flange in the dump pipe, we also did a survey and in the archives we have a list of temperatures taken by many members which also includes different circumstances so we have a very accurate guide to what to expect as far as EGT goes, for a DI we recommend 550c being treated as a maximum.

All this is in the link I gave you earlier, plus if you look at the archives index you will find links that answer all your questions and let you know that the 2nd guy has no fing idea.

Tell you what I'll do, I'll move you closer to it :).

·
Here To Be Entertained
Currently not a vehicle owner
12,091 Posts
Can you give a location of the second guy. I have my suspicions of who it may be. No need to name.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts