Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning, I have a 2006 Nissan Patrol zd30 Auto, when the transmission is cold it seems to lock up and stall the vehicle, doesn't matter whether its in Reverse, Drive, 1st or 2nd. Once the transmission is warm it seems okay. When it is about to stall there is a strange noise under the vehicle. Any ideas would be welcome.

Steve

Belize, C.A

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,160 Posts
Welcome to the forum mate. Could be a few things, just to gather more info please tell us whether the trans oil is still a good colour and doesn't smell burnt.

Flex plates have been know to crack, that could explain noise but not how it works hot compared to cold.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum mate. Could be a few things, just to gather more info please tell us whether the trans oil is still a good colour and doesn't smell burnt.

Flex plates have been know to crack, that could explain noise but not how it works hot compared to cold.
Thanks, Yes checked and replaced the transmission fluid, it was nice and clean, no burnt smell. Filter was changed about 5,000 miles ago. Have a gut feeling it is sticking valves, added some transmedic, waiting to see the outcome. What do you think?

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,160 Posts
Thanks, Yes checked and replaced the transmission fluid, it was nice and clean, no burnt smell. Filter was changed about 5,000 miles ago. Have a gut feeling it is sticking valves, added some transmedic, waiting to see the outcome. What do you think?
Possible, lets see outcome.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Possible, lets see outcome.
Okay, so still misbehaving, maybe a little better but not great. Do the Patrols have a throttle position sensor? Could this be related? Sometimes seems to shift to fast into higher gears? Other times sluggish to drop into lower gears?

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,160 Posts
Okay, so still misbehaving, maybe a little better but not great. Do the Patrols have a throttle position sensor? Could this be related? Sometimes seems to shift to fast into higher gears? Other times sluggish to drop into lower gears?
Absobloodylutely they do, in the DI Archives there is a thread on pulling one apart and cleaning them (you will need to check a few sections), late DI's and early CRD's did have TPS issues, I think there may have even been a recall from memory.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Absobloodylutely they do, in the DI Archives there is a thread on pulling one apart and cleaning them (you will need to check a few sections), late DI's and early CRD's did have TPS issues, I think there may have even been a recall from memory.
Okay Update, Not so sure about the hot and cold thing now. Removed the accelerator pedal assembly, my TPS is different, i am unable to take apart. It did have a small hole near 1 of the pins so i blasted some electronic cleaner in, gave it a good work out and refitted the pedal assembly. No difference. I did notice this morning when i was driving to work (off road, some steep twisty bits) it started doing the same ****, suddenly seems like it tries to take top gear when it should be selecting 1st or 2nd, then tries to stall, slammed it into neutral. Noticed this kind of rattling noise under the vehicle, and every time i put it into any gear it tried or did stall, restarted, same ****. Turned the ignition completely off, all worked normal. Doing my nut in !!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay Update, Not so sure about the hot and cold thing now. Removed the accelerator pedal assembly, my TPS is different, i am unable to take apart. It did have a small hole near 1 of the pins so i blasted some electronic cleaner in, gave it a good work out and refitted the pedal assembly. No difference. I did notice this morning when i was driving to work (off road, some steep twisty bits) it started doing the same *, suddenly seems like it tries to take top gear when it should be selecting 1st or 2nd, then tries to stall, slammed it into neutral. Noticed this kind of rattling noise under the vehicle, and every time i put it into any gear it tried or did stall, restarted, same *. Turned the ignition completely off, all worked normal. Doing my nut in !!!
By the way mine is a 2006 GR lhd, read somewhere about the TPS on the lhd and rhd vehicles been different ?

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,160 Posts
By the way mine is a 2006 GR lhd, read somewhere about the TPS on the lhd and rhd vehicles been different ?
There were two different TPS units on the RHD models as well,

Man, this really is quite mysterious, just to clarify you said you were driving to work and it played up and wanting to stall etc, you turned it off and if I'm understanding you correctly when you turned it back on it worked fine, is that correct? this really is starting to sound likes it has electronic input.......... system locking??? can you give us an idea of the speeds at which this happens? is that part a constant?

The only other thing I can think of at the moment is the valve body is failing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There were two different TPS units on the RHD models as well,

Man, this really is quite mysterious, just to clarify you said you were driving to work and it played up and wanting to stall etc, you turned it off and if I'm understanding you correctly when you turned it back on it worked fine, is that correct? this really is starting to sound likes it has electronic input.......... system locking??? can you give us an idea of the speeds at which this happens? is that part a constant?

The only other thing I can think of at the moment is the valve body is failing.
Okay, so the first and 2nd time it stalled the ignition was still on and i just restarted. The 3rd time i turned the key all the way off with it in Park and started it and all was well. Like everything reset and it was okay. Always slow speeds 1st,2nd gear.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, so the first and 2nd time it stalled the ignition was still on and i just restarted. The 3rd time i turned the key all the way off with it in Park and started it and all was well. Like everything reset and it was okay. Always slow speeds 1st,2nd gear.
The vehicle has done 108k

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,160 Posts
The vehicle has done 108k
Not really familiar with the Trans Medic fluid you used but I suppose worth a try, how many K's since adding it? Have you noticed any improvement at all? That is really strange about switching ignition off completely and seeing an improvement, would seem to support electrical interface!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, same garbage this morning, even in reverse it is like the gearing is suddenly too high ? Took a couple of videos, but aren't able to upload them. Is there any way i can get them to you?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay, same garbage this morning, even in reverse it is like the gearing is suddenly too high ? Took a couple of videos, but aren't able to upload them. Is there any way i can get them to you?
The turning off the ignition fully didn't resolve the problem this morning !!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not really familiar with the Trans Medic fluid you used but I suppose worth a try, how many K's since adding it? Have you noticed any improvement at all? That is really strange about switching ignition off completely and seeing an improvement, would seem to support electrical interface!
Done maybe 100kms since it was added

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,160 Posts
You can upload a link to video on a cloud etc, but based on what your saying now I'm not sure it would really help, if it is only temperature that causes any improvement I reckon the likely issue is internal unfortunately.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You can upload a link to video on a cloud etc, but based on what your saying now I'm not sure it would really help, if it is only temperature that causes any improvement I reckon the likely issue is internal unfortunately.
Taking it for a 120km drive today, hope it holds out, and maybe fixes the issue !!

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,160 Posts
Taking it for a 120km drive today, hope it holds out, and maybe fixes the issue !!
Good luck with it mate, I certainly hope the mystery is solved sooner rather than later.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts