Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol dx 2007
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just sounding out if anyone can help me.

My patrol is having a little trouble starting, it cranks fine and the battery is brand new. Problem is it needs to crank about 10 times before the engine fires. Some times won't start on first go, will warm plugs again and it will go, then of course it blows out a big wad of black smoke. Has new glow plugs in so that shouldn't be the case. It looked as though there was a little smoke coming out the engine bay when I got it going this morning along with lots out the back!

Once it's up and going it runs fine. Maybe fuel pump or filter? Any help would be great. Cheers.

·
Registered
Nissan Urvan / Caravan
226 Posts
Test the battery at rest and under load, though if it crank 10 plus times, suggesats the new one is good.
Getting any fault codes?
Water or other contaminants in fuel?
Cool enough where u are to require winterised diesel?
Genuine fuel filter, fitted and connected correctly?
Recent mods or new parts, or serviced recently?
Why did u replace the glow plugs? Have u had this starting problem for a while?
Test the glow plugs? Just because they are new...........
Pressure test fuel system, though I would have thought u would be getting fault codes during cranking which might make unnecessary.

·
Registered
Nissan 2002 GU TD42 Coil Cab
255 Posts
If it is belching clouds of black smoke it isn't a fuel problem.
NZ's mention of testing glow plug circuit is the way to go.
Failing that the problem can only be either compression or air intake restricted.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,231 Posts
It might be a leaking injector. That causes the commonrail to not get enough pressure build up for the ECU to trigger the injectors, then when they inject, maybe a cylinder has filled with diesel and burns it out?

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
735 Posts
Hi crackhaw.....if it's a ZD30 don't be surprised if you have a lazy starter motor.
Slow cranking meaning low compression till cylinders are "full" of raw diesel. When it starts that is why the "lots of black smoke".
Cheers

·
Registered
nissan
206 Posts
Mine was similar would take a few cranks to start then got really hard to start same symptoms.
Was told either the fuel rail or the injector pump.
Bolted a new fuel rail on hoping for the best. Starts first crank every time now. $1400 later though.
Got me behind the wheel so I was happy.

SAW Troll
Scotty

·
Registered
Nissan Urvan / Caravan
226 Posts
What is winterised diesel. I live in Toowoomba and it gets fn cold here
In NZ, depending which area you are in, they put additives in the diesel in the Winter, to combat the thickening that occurs at lower temperatures.

Not sure what additives, but there are three levels here - cold, very cold, and.....

Perhaps they don't do that in Australia. Or perhaps the garage has the option (because the fuel company charges more for winterised fuel?).

With diesel powered trucks and light vehicles, we seem to get better starting with winterised diesel, and better mpg too. Whether the additives are harmful if used all year, or whether they just cost more to manufacture, I'm not sure.

I also presume that if you are using a finer micron fuel filter than standard, when cold, you may have flow problems, even if winterised diesel is available.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,231 Posts
We get winterised diesel in Vic, NSW and Tas.

People used to add kerosene to the diesel to prevent waxing. I did it once and noticed it went a little better, but I wouldn't do it again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts