Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, thanks for accepting me as a member. I have seen this question posed a number of times but haven't been able to find a answer. I have a 2007 TI patrol with the factory satnav which like most it seems no longer works due to the screen( I think) being faulty I think this may be the case as the reverse camera also wont work on screen. My question is has any one successfully removed the old satnav and installed a new touch screen of the same size. I have removed the dash and screen and is seems as though it wont be too difficult to replace but I am not sure on wiring of new screen and weather it would be compatible. Sorry for the long first post, any help greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
2,011 Posts
The easiest solution is to pull your head unit out and replace it with a double DIN unit with built-in satnav that is also reverse camera compatible. You can then fill the hole where the old unit was with the little cubby hole thingy that was fitted to the later models.

Finding a dedicated satnav unit that fits into that hole will be nearly impossible, I reckon. The only other option would be to use a standard Garmin or TomTom type navigator and try to semi permanently fit it into the hole where the old unit was, but that won't give you a reverse camera.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, I had thought of doing this and yes it probably would be a very good way but my only concern would be how to still have the steering wheel radio controls being able to work.

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,658 Posts
Nissan SatNav is the most useless piece of junk there is.

I took mine out and was going to replace it with a tablet.

The best fit I could find was a NVIDIA Shield K1 8 Inch Tablet (cheap).

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/tablet/

Would need to build a frame for it, but size of 8.8in by 5in was perfect to fit inside the hole left when the Nissan satnav was removed (7 3/8in by 4 3/8in) as that was the display size.

But the draw backs were a problem, mainly charging and blue-toothing a GPS to it.

Plenty of nav software for android lollipop.

I found no actual sat nav unit that would fit.

I did not want to put a sat nav in the double DIN as you have to look down at the small screen at it all the time (been there, done that and eye sight aint what it used to be).

And besides, that would still leave you a rather large and useless hole in the dash.

Besides, I threw out the useless Nissan 6 stacker CD and radio and replaced to with an good alpine double DIN with steering control adaptor (along with the nissan speakers). Incredible sound difference.

So, what I am doing is mounting a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Tab with blue-tooth and internal GPS (already have street mapping).

The hole will be filled with a plastic block, shaped to the opening and fitting the old sat nav mounting screw holes with a hole drilled through the centre to accept a gimbaled flat screw RAM mount that will be attached to the metal frame that is deeper in the old sat nav location and run out through the hole in the plastic block.

The bottom (short edge) of the tablet fits neatly into the little pen holder thingy that is just in front of the sat nav. A bit of foam rubber padding will be glued to the bottom of it as a shock absorbed. The pen tray allows enough movement to angle the tablet towards the driver.

The Galaxy tab has the GPS sensor on the upper (short) edge and I have been able to pick up GPS satellites easy when I tested the location. Also noted where the upper edge was when sitting in the drivers position and you can see the top of the front bar over it, so will not be a bit of cop bait as it does not obstruct the driver view.

All I need to do then is to hard wire the charging lead in to the Patrols electrics via a 2A USB outlet and the correct charging cord (this is not a normal USB cord as the tablet needs to know it is a dedicated charger to draw full power).

End result will be a nice large easy to see nav screen that will be able to get up dates and new hema maps as long as you are close to a free WiFi.

Already measured and sourced all the parts, just waiting to get my Patrol back from Shaun (Gassed GU) who is dropping a duramax into it.

Once I do I will be doing a full write up on the fitting.

Reactions: snakessou

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
2,011 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I had thought of doing this and yes it probably would be a very good way but my only concern would be how to still have the steering wheel radio controls being able to work.
The steering wheel button control logic is fairly generic, so if you fit a unit with this functionality it should work with the original buttons.

My car didn't have steering wheel buttons but the satnav unit I fitted has the capability, so I installed the buttons and they work perfectly fine.

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/diy-modifications-accessories-40/diy-retrofit-audio-steering-wheel-controls-341954/

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu 2007 ti
2 Posts
I have this Sat Nav to be removed, i have a 7 inch gps unit to go it to the cavity, i want to use the already in place reverse camera and hook it to my head unit which has reverse camera option.
has anyone got the wiring diagram for the useless sat nav?

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
2,011 Posts
I have this Sat Nav to be removed, i have a 7 inch gps unit to go it to the cavity, i want to use the already in place reverse camera and hook it to my head unit which has reverse camera option.
has anyone got the wiring diagram for the useless sat nav?
Keep in mind there's not a lot of space behind the old satnav unit. AFAIK that unit was a unique local (Australian) development and it wasn't "factory" fitted, so finding a wiring diagram could be difficult.

There's a link to the ESM in my signature. The ESM contains all the OE wiring diagrams.

Here's what I did:

Fitting a replacement camera won't be too difficult and probably the better option anyway, considering that your camera is also 13-year old tech.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts