Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a dual battery system and the folks at Redarc have a superduper new isolator / charger that I'm told I need. Apparently some sophisticated new alternators charge at voltages lower than 14.x volts when the temps under the bonnet are high and or to save fuel. Redarcs system apparently can charge the second battery at 14.x volts regardless of the voltage the alternator is putting out.

Does anyone know if the 2010 GU alternators are "sophisticated" or just charge regardless on temps and fuel economy?

Im hoping they are basic so I can just buy the old Redarc isolator at a third of the cost or ABR at a quarter of the cost.

·
Registered
nissan
625 Posts
I'm running a Redarc on my 2010 no problems. I know most new cars alts output is controlled by the ECM, but I'm fairly sure the Patrol isn't that clever. Thank God.

·
Registered
nissan
77 Posts
Hi Mate, a quick check with a multilmeter at the battery terminals should give you the answer, checked both when hot and cold etc. Otherwise a call to your local auto spark may give you the answer also. Most standard (as does the 06 Gu alternator anyway put out around the 14V mark as u stated)

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Mate, a quick check with a multilmeter at the battery terminals should give you the answer, checked both when hot and cold etc. Otherwise a call to your local auto spark may give you the answer also. Most standard (as does the 06 Gu alternator anyway put out around the 14V mark as u stated)
Hi Jethro im not sure i would get the right answer as these sophisticated alternators are meant to lower the voltage under certain conditions not all conditions.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hi John.

I think you'll find that nearly all alternators have been varying voltage dependent on temp for some time now. I know it does in my GUIV.

There are a number of 12v to 12v chargers on the market now that boost the voltage to the receiving batt. If you need an isolator and you're happy to spend the money, I'm sure the one you're looking at would be a ripper.

You'll find that if you use decent wiring and fittings that you'll be able to charge you're aux batt to almost the same level as your starter batt anyway without any boosting. A big advantage of the booster is that you can run lighter wire, and run it a long way. Using one of these boosters will actually give you a higher state of charge in the aux than the starter batt is able to abtain from the alternator.

Comes down to what your requirements are and the budget.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts