Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

Just a brain thought while driving in the 43 degree temps today in Sydney.

My new GU has the rear air con unit in the left hand rear panel. I'm guessing this compressor is electric run as I doubt it is engine run from the front.

IF it is a electric run could this be rewired to actually run while the engine is turned off ?

Idea's people

Thanks

Steve

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,797 Posts
Hey All,

Just a brain thought while driving in the 43 degree temps today in Sydney.

My new GU has the rear air con unit in the left hand rear panel. I'm guessing this compressor is electric run as I doubt it is engine run from the front.

IF it is a electric run could this be rewired to actually run while the engine is turned off ?

Idea's people

Thanks

Steve
Dont see why not if it is electric, could be a serious power drain with out the engine running though. However, if it is electric I am thinking cold air for the intercooler. How big is it, could it fit an engine bay?? Just a thought.....

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
There will be a electric blower fan in there to push the air through the rear vents but the actually cooling of the air is carried out by the engine driven airconditioner circulating refrigerant through a rear mounted avaporator so with the engine off you will only get ambient temp air out of the rear vents (the same as the front)

If you look underneath the vehicle you should be able to see a small diameter high pressure pipe & a large diameter suction pipe that carries the refrigerant to the rear airconditioner evaporator

Toyota Prius hybrid vehicles have a electric powered compressor so that the airconditioner will continue to cool when the petrol engine shuts down when stopping the vehicles at lights,etc

Regards Don

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,797 Posts
x2, by the time a bit of hybrid becomes cheap enough you wont be able to run internal combustion engines. bang goes refridgerated air for the intercooler idea....... though i have thought of routing the windshield vent to the intercooler haha.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts