Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Within a couple weeks I am looking to buy one or the other. I am in PNG, so the models might be a bit different than the australian market. Both are brand new from the dealers.

The Cruiser has the non turbo 1hz
The Patrol has the non turbo td42
- there are no other engine choices.

The cruiser has leaf springs on the back axel, and Limited Slip Diff
The Patrol has coil over torsion on all 4 wheels and manual locking front hubs

Both have vinyl interiors and manual windows, power steering, ac. The LC has power locks and dual 90 liter tanks. patrol has single 95 liter tank.

Patrol is 43000 USD
Cruiser is 49000 USD
Driveaway price.

I wont be doing any recreational offroading, but the vehicle will be on brutal bush roads most of the time (though the Highlands Hwy is quite brutal just by itself). I wont be towing much. But I want the vehicle to last 15 + year with few major problems.

I am from the US, so not familiar at all with these models. We have the LC200 and the inifinty qx. Not exactly the equivalent. :(

Would appreciate any advice, thoughts, comments.
Thanks!

kevin

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
8,957 Posts
patrol. -and on face value you might think im biased -0this being a patrol forum and all. . . . . . and without knowing me or my personal car history you have no point of reference to asses the validity, value or virtue of my comment.

I would buy a cruiser in an instant if i couldn't have the right patrol. . . . both those cars are very reliable, but in my experience the patrol will be more comfortable.

·
Registered
Nissan
185 Posts
Can't speak for the 76 but that 4.2 Patrol hasn't been on sale here in Oz for a number of years due to government regs on emission controls etc.

Anyone able to offer any advice?

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Both are brand new from the dealers.
The Patrol has the non turbo td42

I just had a wet dream.... new 4.2 GUs forsale... for real.. if it comes in auto, Im moving to PNG

·
Registered
nissan
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yep, the 4.2 non turbo. guess they still make it.
Anyway, both are 10 seaters and both are manual transmission (sorry truckster, autos not available).
Will be doing most of my driving at around 5000 - 7000 ft above sea level. so the lack of power is even more noticable...

Jacket1985... what is "the right Patrol" for you?

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
8,957 Posts
Will be doing most of my driving at around 5000 - 7000 ft above sea level. so the lack of power is even more noticable...

Jacket1985... what is "the right Patrol" for you?
must be either 4.2 diesel, or 4.8 petrol. . . . all other motors i would give a miss and buy a cruiser. especially a 1hz. . . . they are very good motors.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
x2 on what Jacket said on the 2 engines.
Out of the 2 cars you mention, either will work. what are the dealers like over there, if you have issues, do they fix them no questions, or fight you to the bone?

Both engines are good and been around for ever but one takes to turbos better than the other and theres plenty of options new or used.

Was it the 1HZ that had the mainbearing issues that Toyota 100% fixed FOC under warranty etc?

For me, "but the vehicle will be on brutal bush roads "< - here lies your answer. Theres no way I could go with leaf suspension for that. Its rough and horrible.

FWIW, what body shape are both cars? do you have photos

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
8,957 Posts
For me, "but the vehicle will be on brutal bush roads "< - here lies your answer. Theres no way I could go with leaf suspension for that. Its rough and horrible.

FWIW, what body shape are both cars? do you have photos
Yeah, thats what i was thinking when i said "more comfortable" haha. . . . and X2 on the pics. . . . . iv never heard of a 10seat patrol??? i want to see it. . . . is it like a troopy setup?

·
Registered
nissan
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the ten seater has 3 across the front like a landcruiser (really 2 and 1/2)
then 3 across the middle, and two small benches that fold down and face each other in the back, to 4 seat more.
see here Nissan
I dont have any pictures at the moment.
I did notice that the Patrol seems lower to the ground (sheet metal) than the landcruiser, though the distance from the road to the Diff is the same. I am wondering if this will affect offroad ability, and how easy and reliable a lift would be? any suggestions?

you can see some pictures here Nissan
but take away the fenders, fancy bumpers, and trim across the top of the back window (no fancy spare tyre cover either). The ones I am looking at are basic. i guess you can get the upgrade model, but probably have to special order.

and the TD42 on this page, is the legendary td42, right?
Nissan

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
Mate, the nissan chassis wil lnot be too different in height. The nissan is sat lower onthe chassis, making it more stable off road than the LC.

·
Registered
Nissan
797 Posts
Greetings from a fellow American!

While on the one hand, I dream of the day that Nissan starts selling TD42 Patrols here again, I would go with whatever has the best dealer/service/parts support.

There is no point buying a 4x4 if you cannot get parts for it, if noone can maintain it, etc..

·
Registered
Nissan
586 Posts
Mate, the nissan chassis wil lnot be too different in height. The nissan is sat lower onthe chassis, making it more stable off road than the LC.
The breakover angles are actually about the same on both (27). The gq is a bit more at 31. I think because the Nissan gearbox etc are well tucked away. So even though the cruiser has a higher chassis height, both should be able to drive over the same obstacles (at least in theory).

·
Registered
Nissan
586 Posts
I understand also that the 1hz is a revier and more car like engine than the td42. The nissan however is naturally low revving and hence better in the bush. I have never driven a landy, but i have seen the Toyota Coasters, which have the same 1hz and they seem to rev very well on the blacktop.

·
Registered
215 Posts
hey mate, my parents are in mt hagen and when they moved over we had the same issue on what to get.

we ended up get a 105 1hz lc. mostly because based on the experience they had when they where up in PNG was that there are more lc's around so the chances of getting second hand spares are higher. also as we where buying in aus you couldnt find a good td42.

but in saying that based on some of the roads they have been driving id have pushed the patrol a bit harder for them to buy.

id go the patrol unless you feel the need for the extra fuel, getting a long range tank would be a killer with the way the import stuff works in PNG. and we installed and huge security system to the LC. like locks the door after uve been in it for 30 seconds or something and stuff like that.

- also what kind of roads are you actually going to drive? how far up the highlands hwy?

out of interest where are you located and what are you doing up there?

·
Buy the Patrol Back
nissan patrol
1,460 Posts
Hey PNG drive on the left hand side....could you possibly import? and the best thing is the aussie against the US dollar

·
Buy the Patrol Back
nissan patrol
1,460 Posts
I was thinking of exporting from PNG not importing, brand new TD42 at 43k plus whtever it costs to import to OZ etc

·
Registered
nissan
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the comments. I think I will purchase the GU this week. Dont seem to be many problems with the 'Trol (as it seems it is fondly called). I am little worried about bashing my door panels on the rocks, but will find out soon enough if this concern has any merit.
I dont think it will be any problem getting parts. We have a nissan dealer here in goroka, and there are a few patrols driving around (about 1 in 50- most are toyo busses "pmv's" and troopys).

3Lgq. I am based in goroka. I generally maintain generators and install PV systems in the bush. I travel to madang and Lae, and as far up as Banz... almost to Mt. Hagen. My most frequently traveled road is the chimbu highway which is in pieces right now. But I am generally on bush roads for an hour or more after leaving the highway. One location out near Kundiawa is the hairiest so far. Its slick red clay on the edge of the mountain and the road is graded so that the vehicle tends to slip sideway towards the cliff when it is wet. A friend of mine went off that road about 10 years ago and broke his back in a few places. Had to be helicopter lifted to Goroka and then life flighted out to Cairns.
Oh, and you can sometimes get by with only a 10% duty and 10% GST tax on 10 seater vehicles. but the Aussie dollar is beating the American dollar at the moment, so this would not be the way to go.

Mrowka. Greetings to a fellow american!

I think, in conclusion that even if the Patrol and LC were the same price, i would go with the Patrol. The 1HZ is a nice engine, but the TD42 seems just as legendary... and the added comfort of a Patrol will be appreciated!!

·
Registered
nissan
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
a few pics i snapped from the dealership.

These are crappy, but give you an idea. I will take more later, and occasionally may get one of the patrol in the png bush.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts