nissan
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Reactions: Rcj

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello there mh2017,
Sorry to hear you are having to endure this painful experience with your Y62 and Nissan Australia. But never fear, you will not be out of pocket one cent and the dealership should have also given you a courtesy car with at least as many seats as your Patrol, as they did for us when the repairs took 15 weeks to complete.
Simply call Nissan Australia Customer Service 180003535 and let them know that you have spoken with the ACCC and shan’t be paying anything for these repairs and their tune will quickly change.
Don’t be at all surprised that after you eventually get your Patrol back on the road... the engine will begin to chew through the oil like there is no tomorrow, consequently choking up the catalytic converters, so you are aware.
Buckle up you are in for a long ride...
Weeeeeeeee!
But seriously, good luck.
I am interested how you came to this result.
I’m in battle with Nissan at the moment and have spoken to both the accc and OFT.
any information you can share would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
nissan
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Nissan Recall notice issued Sept 2013 being for faulty timing chain repairs. Note that this recall bulletin states a different part number than what is found in the earlier (March 2013) recall bulletin. These bulletins are proof that Nissan new about the fault in these early engines and chose not to act on them here in Australia. Shame on them.

Reactions: Rcj

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey mate iv got a 2014 model y62 not sure of build date, where is the vin located on the car and how do I interpret it as the bin in the book says it’s build date is 2010 which I don’t think is right any mire news from Nissan or a recall?

·
Registered
nissan
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
The Chassis number (JN1TANY62xxxxxxx) is on your compliance plate on drivers door pillar. Also built date (month-Year).

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
3,098 Posts
So trevhead have I got the build date as 1475? Does this mean I have the new chain?
I'm sure someone must've posted this before, but here's a VIN decoder for Y62.

0001475 is your serial number.

The actual build date is on the label as well. It says BUILT MAR2013.

·
Registered
3 Posts
cheers AndrieK, I hadn’t seen that explanation of the vin but I did see the build date just wanted to double check that my serial number is after the chain was upgraded? As I’m in two minds whether to hold onto this y62 or get something different

·
Registered
1 Posts
G'day folks, I'm starting this thread to discuss, but more importantly, collect data on the premature timing chain failures which are apparent in the early series one aussie Y62 patrols. The issue seems to be limited to the pre March 2013 build vehicles (all with the VK56VD engines), typically with as little as 84K and up to 150K kms on the clock. Interestingly, the American VK56DE engines fitted to the Armada QX56 were plagued by the same issue.
The issue begins with timing chain stretch. As it stretches, the chain guide tensioner pushes the chain out so much it comes into contact with an oiler jet causing engine noise (squealing and rattling) from the front of the engine. The oiler eventually fails and the problem worsens. The engine's cam timing is also affected which can result in poor acceleration.

Video of noise:
Post March 2013, the issue seems to be non-existent ie. engines built after this date do not have the issue as they have been built with revised (beefier) timing chains that do not stretch like the earlier ones.
Cost of repairs (parts only) is approx AU$1300. Add labour and you're looking at nearly AU$6,000. The replacement chain in the repair kit is heavier duty so once repaired it's all happy days.

Repair info: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/SB-10091401-2280.pdf

To drill down further and hopefully segment the affected engines, I've collected a little information, (from FB and alike) to combine build dates with engine numbers. It's only a start so please feel free to add information and comments so that people who have or are contemplating purchasing a 2012 or an early 2013 Series 1 Y62 Patrol have a heads-up of what could be a potential issue. If you have one outside or close to these dates with or without issues, please share the info.
Please provide the Build Date on compliance plate, the last six digits of the engine number and the kms; (Scroll past the pics)

View attachment 513734
Damaged oiler

View attachment 513736

Dec 2012, Engine # 0000665 (my earliest known failure). 147,000kms
2013, Engine # 0000867 - Failure - 130,000kms
Jan 2013, Engine # 0000997 - Failure - 110,000 kms
Feb 2013, Engine # 0001614 - Good so far
Hi there just a question I have a jan 2013 built and did the 110k service today and cut the oil filter and found specs so is the oiler jet from alloy ?

·
Registered
Y62 Nissan Patrol 2014 STL
4 Posts
G'day Trevhead,

As of today I have started my Timing chain replacement "Journey". Build number 1014 JAN 2013

I have owned the car for 4 and a bit years and the rattle has been there for sometime. Under load it is especially noticeable. If I fill it up with 91 it sounds like a bag of spanners rattling around. Vehicle is a 2014 STL with 157xxxkm build No 1014.

So far I have spoken to my local dealer - directed straight to Nissan Australia - Directed straight back to my local dealer from Nissan Australia, this is to book it in for a check so they can determine the issue.

Will book in next week for a service and will keep the thread up to date.

·
Registered
nissan
232 Posts
G'day Trevhead,

As of today I have started my Timing chain replacement "Journey". Build number 1014 JAN 2013

I have owned the car for 4 and a bit years and the rattle has been there for sometime. Under load it is especially noticeable. If I fill it up with 91 it sounds like a bag of spanners rattling around. Vehicle is a 2014 STL with 157xxxkm build No 1014.

So far I have spoken to my local dealer - directed straight to Nissan Australia - Directed straight back to my local dealer from Nissan Australia, this is to book it in for a check so they can determine the issue.

Will book in next week for a service and will keep the thread up to date.
Any update mate?

·
Registered
Y62 STL 2012 build
4 Posts
I have just started my journey. Car is currently with dealer and discussions started with Nissan. Have owned since new and now clocked up 170,000 kms with perfect service record. I have been waiting for the noise to start, and I had the oil filter dismantled after last service to verify metal floating around. Waiting today for dealer to complete 3 hours of investigation requested by Techline which I agreed to pay -but I also told Nissan I expect them to meet the full costs in the end. The next couple of days will be interesting.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
50,061 Posts
I have just started my journey. Car is currently with dealer and discussions started with Nissan. Have owned since new and now clocked up 170,000 kms with perfect service record. I have been waiting for the noise to start, and I had the oil filter dismantled after last service to verify metal floating around. Waiting today for dealer to complete 3 hours of investigation requested by Techline which I agreed to pay -but I also told Nissan I expect them to meet the full costs in the end. The next couple of days will be interesting.
Please keep us informed of your progress.

·
Registered
Y62 STL 2012 build
4 Posts
Please keep us informed of your progress.
The dealer just called to say they have opened up the engine and found nothing wrong with the timing chain. But they can't explain the noise. They now want to drop the oil and open up the oil filter to check for metal, despite me providing them with the filter from the service at Ontrack 4X4 about 2 months ago which clearly shows metal fragments. Andrew Cassar cut open the filter for me, and was confident the timing chain was stuffed.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
50,061 Posts
The dealer just called to say they have opened up the engine and found nothing wrong with the timing chain. But they can't explain the noise. They now want to drop the oil and open up the oil filter to check for metal, despite me providing them with the filter from the service at Ontrack 4X4 about 2 months ago which clearly shows metal fragments. Andrew Cassar cut open the filter for me, and was confident the timing chain was stuffed.
Is the dealer open to you dropping by the workshop and having a look while discussing it?

·
Registered
Y62 STL 2012 build
4 Posts
Is the dealer open to you dropping by the workshop and having a look while discussing it?
I'll wait for the next update to see if they have a rational explanation for the noise and the metal fragments. They are aware I have a son who spent 6 years on Nissan's Techline and was one of the first trained on the Y62. If anyone goes in to have a look it will be him.

·
Registered
Y62 STL 2012 build
4 Posts
I'll wait for the next update to see if they have a rational explanation for the noise and the metal fragments. They are aware I have a son who spent 6 years on Nissan's Techline and was one of the first trained on the Y62. If anyone goes in to have a look it will be him.
The timing chain is perfectly ok, it seems the engine has been sucking in lots of outback dust, probably through a badly fitted air filter but hard to pin down. Cylinder 4 is badly pitted. We are getting them to run leak tests and compression tests to check the health of the engine before deciding if repair is an option and in what timeframe. Sorry to say I can’t add anything to your forum.

61 - 80 of 93 Posts