Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
50,061 Posts
The timing chain is perfectly ok, it seems the engine has been sucking in lots of outback dust, probably through a badly fitted air filter but hard to pin down. Cylinder 4 is badly pitted. We are getting them to run leak tests and compression tests to check the health of the engine before deciding if repair is an option and in what timeframe. Sorry to say I can’t add anything to your forum.
That's OK, still keep us informed to see where this goes. Interesting that sucking in dust can lead to metal in the oil filter, I know there is a pathway but it is still strange.
Was the metal particles in the oil filter ferrous or non ferrous?

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
3,098 Posts
The timing chain is perfectly ok, it seems the engine has been sucking in lots of outback dust, probably through a badly fitted air filter but hard to pin down. Cylinder 4 is badly pitted. We are getting them to run leak tests and compression tests to check the health of the engine before deciding if repair is an option and in what timeframe. Sorry to say I can’t add anything to your forum.
This is exactly the type of scenario I am trying to avoid by having an oil analysis done at every service. $32 once every 12 months is very cheap insurance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, our st-l 2013 is at the shop now with this timing chain issue. Lots of knocking on the inside so sent it in to be looked at. Been driving it like that for 5000Km or so.
Vin is 0001416, we've got 182k on the clock- mostly highway driving (no towing, just the family car).
So dealers haven't been helpful. We were told extended warranty went till end of august (6years from purchase date) but apparently according to insurance it was from first rego date- so ran out in June.
Reckon we'll talk to ACCC after reading these posts- if you have any other info that would be pretty handy. Thanks.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
50,061 Posts
Hi, our st-l 2013 is at the shop now with this timing chain issue. Lots of knocking on the inside so sent it in to be looked at. Been driving it like that for 5000Km or so.
Vin is 0001416, we've got 182k on the clock- mostly highway driving (no towing, just the family car).
So dealers haven't been helpful. We were told extended warranty went till end of august (6years from purchase date) but apparently according to insurance it was from first rego date- so ran out in June.
Reckon we'll talk to ACCC after reading these posts- if you have any other info that would be pretty handy. Thanks.
You have nothing to lose by contacting the ACCC, this issue is well known, hence why it was placed here as a sticky when we first became aware of it.

·
Registered
Y62 Nissan Patrol 2014 STL
4 Posts
Any update mate?
Hi Mate,

Gave Nissan a call and spoke to someone there. Explained the situation and was told to head to my closest dealer and have it inspected. In the mean time I have had the car serviced as normal at the local Auto Masters and got them to have a listen to it. Apparently yes there is a noise but it isn't to bad. So I will obviously get to Nissan at some stage, just been a bit slack I'm afraid.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi guys,
build 01/2013 vin 0224 engine# 1079916 with 170,000km+ serviced as per book, at Nissan when possible.
Towing 3t van around the wide brown land...

so a few months ago started hearing a 'fan belt squeal' just for 1-2 minutes after start up, appears to be around top left hand side (looking back at donk) maybe the tensioner?? had fan belt replaced, problem gone.... until it came back. of course couldn't get it to squeal at a workshop....
I'm out at sea at moment and wife said squeal isn't going away anymore, in fact new squeal more like scream...
long story short, car is now at Nissan dealership and they have asked for $350 to perform inspection before sending request of the Nissan Aust. for, I'm guessing, timing chain++

so add me to the list TrevHead62 and I'll keep you posted...
how many folks have gotten Nissan to cover the bill?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Update: so yesterday my BW (that's Beautiful Wife) was informed that they are "going through diagnostics under Nissans directions..."
not an answer, and not sure if that is Nissan Aust, or just the e-manual....but at least we know they are looking at it.

they've only had it since Monday...

·
Registered
10 Posts
next update... BW heard today that its taking a while to diagnose as they are performing the inspection bit by bit and sending photos to Nissan Aust (NA) as they go, for them to have a look at before they moe onto the next section...
I think that's good...?

·
Registered
10 Posts
okay, getting mixed responses - anyone surprised???

Mechanic says he is waiting for Nissan to get back to him with next step.
His service manager meanwhile says he has ordered parts....
Nissan have formally denied request for them to fix it.

Reasons stated: 1. we are not the original owner, and 2. the amount of ks on the clock.
we have denied their denial, with: 1. if this is a factor, then why did nissan sunshine coast perform the N-R2417 recall repair at our first service just after buying the car...
2. amount of kms shouldn't enter into the fail of a well documented known faulty item when a:
"A well-maintained Nissan 5.6 v8 engine can drive past 400,000 km before the
performance of the engine begins to drop. Only at such a high mileage will you
begin to experience significant engine problems."
and as we have serviced the car according to the book, usually at nissan workshops (= well maintained then...).
we stated more than this, but these are a couple of bones.

I still haven't been able to find out exactly what the diagnosis is (we know its the chain) from either end.
still waiting for the call back that never seems to come from the workshop, and now customer service...

oh what a feeling....

·
Registered
10 Posts
righto, so the diagnosis is the chain. they haven't removed too much, but enough to confirm it is as expected.
parts ordered, should be there wednesday or thursday... and then 20/30 hours labour depending on....
on the other front, Nissan have told us unequivocally "no" and they have finished all correspondence and if we are not satisfied with "no" then we should take it up with the ACCC.
since we have no car to pull our van out of Shark Bay, and we have no other transport to get around, I have nothing better to do than email folk and spend time o hold for the next few weeks until the car is fixed, so that is what I'm gonna do. I have already talked with Fair Trade and they seem to think that the Magistrate would be interested to see all the emails between us and Nissan....Our car was sold to the original owner in 01/2014. They changed they chains out in March 2013, so following that timeline, they sold a new vehicle that had a known defect. Thats sounds like an issue to me. fingers crossed someone sees sense.
or are we being unreasonable?

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
3,098 Posts
Our car was sold to the original owner in 01/2014. They changed they chains out in March 2013, so following that timeline, they sold a new vehicle that had a known defect. Thats sounds like an issue to me. fingers crossed someone sees sense.
or are we being unreasonable?
There would've been a breakpoint in the production schedule where they implemented a change. Vehicles BUILT before the change were subject to the service recall, those after the breakpoint had the "fix" implemented on the production line before they left the factory.

It all depends on whether your vehicle was BUILT before or after the breakpoint. When it was first SOLD is irrelevant. If yours was built after the breakpoint and it failed, it's either a different issue as the original failures, or the "fix" is ineffective. If it was the latter, you would've seen a lot more post-recall failures by now, so I suspect you're either just unlucky, or there is another root cause issue(s) that caused the failure.

There's a VIN list somewhere in this thread. Check if yours is within the affected range or not. That'll be your smoking gun. I'm guessing Nissan checked and found yours already had the fix implemented.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi AndrieK,

the VIN number for the change in chain was at 1445. ours is 224, so an early one. Nissan/Infinity US did a recall in 2016 on all of the 2011-2013 VK56 engines affected, just over 45,000 vehicles.
Nissan Aust did not perform this recall. That is kinda the point here....
I have the service reports from new and there is no mention of a change out being performed. And if it had been done, then Nissan would surely have said that straight up to stop the discussion. They said, as quoted, that we are not the original owners, and that the kms are too high. And then no because its out of warranty. And then just no.
So I think there is a smoking gun, along with others - even the Nissan service manager where the vehicle is says Nissan should be paying for it....
Getting actual numbers of fails is difficult. Only people who visit and post on the multitude of forums enter into the count, Nissan of course, do not 'have this information available'...
Granted not every chain will fail. But they beefed up the chain at 1445, and the US changed them all out over there, so that says a lot.

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
3,098 Posts
Hi AndrieK,

the VIN number for the change in chain was at 1445. ours is 224, so an early one. Nissan/Infinity US did a recall in 2016 on all of the 2011-2013 VK56 engines affected, just over 45,000 vehicles.
Nissan Aust did not perform this recall. That is kinda the point here....
I have the service reports from new and there is no mention of a change out being performed. And if it had been done, then Nissan would surely have said that straight up to stop the discussion. They said, as quoted, that we are not the original owners, and that the kms are too high. And then no because its out of warranty. And then just no.
So I think there is a smoking gun, along with others - even the Nissan service manager where the vehicle is says Nissan should be paying for it....
Getting actual numbers of fails is difficult. Only people who visit and post on the multitude of forums enter into the count, Nissan of course, do not 'have this information available'...
Granted not every chain will fail. But they beefed up the chain at 1445, and the US changed them all out over there, so that says a lot.
If yours is within the affected range, go your hardest. The fact that there exists a VIN range implies they've done a root cause analysis (which is sort of what you'd expect from any OEM) and determined that any vehicle within that range could potentially be affected.

I'm not overly familiar with the service schedule of Y62 / VK56, but if there is a service life defined for the timing chain system and your vehicle is still within this service life, it's going to be very hard to argue it's not a premature failure.

The number of previous owners is irrelevant, but service history is not. If you cannot prove that the vehicle was regularly serviced as per the schedule, they're going to push back. If it was serviced refularly but not by a Nissan dealer, they'll also push back, but that can go either way.

The fact that Nissan USA handled the issue differently is irrelevant. There are a multitude of factors that are market specific. Each market will determine their own requirements based on their own operating conditions.

Good luck. I sincerely hope you get it sorted. ;)

81 - 93 of 93 Posts