Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

2012 - Early 2013 timing chain failures (original Voluntary Service Campaign link updated)

47K views 131 replies 35 participants last post by  simcoe 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
G'day folks, I'm starting this thread to discuss, but more importantly, collect data on the premature timing chain failures which are apparent in the early series one aussie Y62 patrols. The issue seems to be limited to the pre March 2013 build vehicles (all with the VK56VD engines), typically with as little as 84K and up to 150K kms on the clock. Interestingly, the American VK56DE engines fitted to the Armada QX56 were plagued by the same issue.
The issue begins with timing chain stretch. As it stretches, the chain guide tensioner pushes the chain out so much it comes into contact with an oiler jet causing engine noise (squealing and rattling) from the front of the engine. The oiler eventually fails and the problem worsens. The engine's cam timing is also affected which can result in poor acceleration.

Video of noise:

Post March 2013, the issue seems to be non-existent ie. engines built after this date do not have the issue as they have been built with revised (beefier) timing chains that do not stretch like the earlier ones.
Cost of repairs (parts only) is approx AU$1300. Add labour and you're looking at nearly AU$6,000. The replacement chain in the repair kit is heavier duty so once repaired it's all happy days.

Repair info: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/SB-10091401-2280.pdf

To drill down further and hopefully segment the affected engines, I've collected a little information, (from FB and alike) to combine build dates with engine numbers. It's only a start so please feel free to add information and comments so that people who have or are contemplating purchasing a 2012 or an early 2013 Series 1 Y62 Patrol have a heads-up of what could be a potential issue. If you have one outside or close to these dates with or without issues, please share the info.
Please provide the Build Date on compliance plate, the last six digits of the engine number and the kms; (Scroll past the pics)

Damaged oiler

Dec 2012, Engine # 0000665 (my earliest known failure). 147,000kms
2013, Engine # 0000867 - Failure - 130,000kms
Jan 2013, Engine # 0000997 - Failure - 110,000 kms
Feb 2013, Engine # 0001614 - Good so far

Attachments

See less See more
#32 ·
Reactions: simcoe
#36 · (Edited)
I had a Dec 12 ST-L with, the noise started to appear whilst doing our lap with the vehicle around the 90,000kms, noticed under light load and uphills when cold. Took it to Albion Park Nissan first who were the rudest dealership i have ever been to, ignored the fault and had no interest in helping us out at all, basically told them to get f%&cked and walked out. Took it to Canberra Nissan when we got there and they booked it in immediately, we were unable to replicate the noise unfortunately but the tech i spoke to knew of the problem and the re-call. He had recently done some training with Nissan themselves and they mentioned it and was preparing a training package!

Around the 105,000km mark the cats began the fail, CEL coming on regularly. We took it into Bendigo Nissan and they confirmed and were willing to replace but we did not have the time, they also acknowledged the timing chain noise and known fault.

We had been chasing excess fuel consumption since around the 80,000km mark so must of been failing for a while.

In the end we decided on selling the vehicle as we did not have the time or money to repair or the energy to fight Nissan, and our local dealer is 2nd behind Albion Park being useless..

We still loved the car and wished we could of kept and repaired it but at the time we were unable to. I would still own another one any day, best car i have ever owned.

#37 ·
I have a Y62 series 1 Ti I purchased second hand from a dealer. It had 110,000 on it when I bought it, I’m now up to 120, still no issues as yet although very nervous as mine has a build date of January 2013. I have kept an engine oil sample from the first service I had done at 120,000 and plan to keep a sample from every service going forward. I plan to take the first sample and second sample to get tested (after I hit the 130,000 km mark and see if there is a rise in metallic contaminants from one service to another. I don’t have any issue yet but believe it’s only a matter of time. Updates on any progress for those going through trubunal or ACCC would be welcomed as I intend to follow this thead and will also update on any of my findings as they come to hand. Here’s my build plate for reference and good on you Trevhead62 for getting this thread started, trying to unite the smaller fish to fight the bigger fish.
Text Font Label

#38 ·
The chain update is around build 1440-1445. Sydo gave me the idea on looking on partsouq and punching in vin build numbers and see if a replacement chain is available.

well wouldnt ya know, early chains can not be purchased, but chains after the 1440 mark can be, there is a massive difference in chain quality.
Anyone with issues should ask the dealer why they can’t get new chains for their model.

Reactions: Rcj
#41 ·
Unfortunately this is becoming the norm with all makes these days instead of the exception. Honour your responsibilities only when you really have no other option.

#49 ·
Hi Rad78, just reading through your experience in earlier posts, it makes sense if you drove around for 40000km since the noise first manifest itself (no fault of your own, Nissan’s mistake for not owning what is clearly a problem). How you going with the fight for a new engine?

#52 ·
I would like to give Trev and the forum a big thank-you for bringing this issue to light. I have just purchased an April 2013 built Y62 and I suspect that I have saved myself a fair bit of grief and $5k to go with it.

I came across all types looking at a used Y62 - dealers who did the right thing and replaced the timing chain before selling the car, dealers who knew nothing about it, private sellers who also knew nothing about it and are happy to argue black and blue that you never have to change the timing chain on these motors, etc etc.

The other annoying fact is that a lot of dealers are advertising the cars for sale based on the compliance date. This, IMHO, is rubbish. A car built in 20xx is built in 20xx... There are 2013 cars being advertised as 2015s, built before March, using the older style timing chain. Unsuspecting buyers are likely to snap them up (not much choice) and then be in for a rude shock.

All the best MH2017, hope you get something useful out of it.

#55 · (Edited)
The other annoying fact is that a lot of dealers are advertising the cars for sale based on the compliance date. This, IMHO, is rubbish. A car built in 20xx is built in 20xx... There are 2013 cars being advertised as 2015s, built before March, using the older style timing chain. Unsuspecting buyers are likely to snap them up (not much choice) and then be in for a rude shock.
Just FYI, (not enirely applicable to this discussion because we are talking old vehicles here) the reason why dealers advertise vehicles based on compliance is because that's when the warranty (incl. any extended warranty) starts. No one would've been happy in 2015 if they bought a "brand new" vehicle built in 2013 with only 1 year warranty left on it because 2 years were wasted sitting in a stock yard.

It's an unfortunate by product of Nissan trying to sell early Y62's at over inflated prices and not being able to clear stock in a timely manner. If all goes to plan, no one should be selling vehicles with compliance dates different to build dates apart from a few sold in January, maybe.

I suspect our dear friends at (ex-) Holden will have the same problem with all their stock as their sales decline even further.

#56 ·
That's right it's been going on for years just probably hardly ever been as pronounced as the Y62 variations. Just the same thing as an exaggerated end of model year sell off, end of last years plate sale etc. Nissan just stretched it out a tad further than most by misreading the market. Longest I had seen prior was we bought a brand new 8 mth old BMW Mini back in 02. Most people should know that trick by now unless they've been living under a rock.
Might be a big EOFY sale coming up for Holden.

#57 ·
Updated list of effected engines;
Nov 2012, Engine # 0000193, Failure 96,000kms
Dec 2012, Engine # 0000576, Failure 57,000kms
Dec 2012, Engine # 0000665 - Failure 147,000kms
2013, Engine # 0000867 - Failure - 130,000kms
Jan 2013, Engine # 0000997 - Failure - 110,000 kms

#62 ·
#64 ·
Nissan Recall notice issued Sept 2013 being for faulty timing chain repairs. Note that this recall bulletin states a different part number than what is found in the earlier (March 2013) recall bulletin. These bulletins are proof that Nissan new about the fault in these early engines and chose not to act on them here in Australia. Shame on them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.