Registered
nissan
9 Posts
This Forum may be of interest for those researching the issue:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello TrevHead62,
Yes it is a shame and yes, I am extremely disappointed..
I intend to follow this through until we get the desired result.
I apologise for not including the build date and engine number in my earlier post, I will endeavour to get that information to you soon.
We are now up to 160,000km
Repairs were done at 120k
Noise started at around 80k

Hello PatrolWA,
Thank you for your concerns and advice, I would be very interested to learn more about the international recall and if in fact the Australian engine was built to the same spec.
Due to the fact we are now dealing with the consequential damage to the engine caused by the prolonged inability to diagnose the timing chain / oiler jets, my frustration has boiled over and my patience has all run out!! As we have been literally given the run around for too long.
To answer your question, yes.
I have reported this matter to the ACCC, awaiting their response.
Also, I have sent a complaint about the dealership service department to the MTAQ due to the lack of care and skill to diagnose and repair.
****’s about to get real!

·
Registered
nissan
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Good luck with the ACCC, I mean that sincerely too. There's another concerned owner on FB with a Dec 2012 build that's beginning to make an unusual noise. It's only done 57,000 kms. The build number is 000576, which makes it the earliest on my list, if it does turn out for the worst. The noise is intermittent and only audible under slight load... so yet to be diagnosed. It could be nothing but a bad batch of fuel... too hard to diagnose at this stage. Obviously he's is very concerned the noise could be a sign of impending failure... something you don't want on your mind after purchasing pre-owned and putting your dreams of long term/trouble free motoring in jeopardy. It's cases like this that demonstrate a national recall is warranted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey TrevHead62,

100% agreed. I’m sure there are many more earlier models out there about to give their owners and Nissan Australia something to think about..
Our TiL build number is 000495

·
Registered
Y62 Series 3 (and others...)
35 Posts
The noise is intermittent and only audible under slight load... so yet to be diagnosed. It could be nothing but a bad batch of fuel... too hard to diagnose at this stage.
Given that the noise seems to caused by the chain wearing on an oil jet, I would think that engine oil analysis would be useful in diagnosis. Worth considering.

·
Registered
nissan
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Some interesting reading on a US Infiniti forum about the recall they had.

·
Registered
nissan
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Another potential failure... currently being diagnosed by Nissan.
Nov 2012
96,000kms.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello TrevHead62,

Our complaints with the MTA and the Office of Fair Trading have been processed, with the response from the Trader being very diplomatic and predictable.
Stating that, they would like to continue to work on the vehicle and do yet another oil consumption test!!
This would be the fourth time around this roundabout and I don’t want any part of it..
I am planning to take action in the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal and push for a new engine, but before I lodge an application in QCAT, I would like to gather as much information as possible to support my case.
PatrolWA and yourself have been a wealth of information so far, and I would like call upon you both again, and anyone else out there reading this forum for your advice, please..
Of most interest to me would be to confirm that VK56VD is in-fact the same spec as the American VK56DE and in the M56/Q70 5.6L
that had the international recall?
Then hopefully if I bring this information to light at the tribunal they would force Nissan Australia to follow suit and possibly prevent a lot of heartache for many other series 1 Y62 owners.

·
Registered
nissan
867 Posts
I'm watching this with interest. Mine is build number 0060 so very early. Just on 115000km. Thought getting rid of the rd28 was the end of my Nissan motor problems.

·
Registered
nissan
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Hello TrevHead62,

Our complaints with the MTA and the Office of Fair Trading have been processed, with the response from the Trader being very diplomatic and predictable.
Stating that, they would like to continue to work on the vehicle and do yet another oil consumption test!!
This would be the fourth time around this roundabout and I don’t want any part of it..
I am planning to take action in the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal and push for a new engine, but before I lodge an application in QCAT, I would like to gather as much information as possible to support my case.
PatrolWA and yourself have been a wealth of information so far, and I would like call upon you both again, and anyone else out there reading this forum for your advice, please..
Of most interest to me would be to confirm that VK56VD is in-fact the same spec as the American VK56DE and in the M56/Q70 5.6L
that had the international recall?
Then hopefully if I bring this information to light at the tribunal they would force Nissan Australia to follow suit and possibly prevent a lot of heartache for many other series 1 Y62 owners.

Ok, The Infinity 2011-2013 M56 had the VK56VD engine and it looks like it was included in the Recall for the timing chain problem. The Infinity Q70 was 2014 onwards so not applicable.
I found this out by doing a little research on Wiki. Nothing concrete but may worth digging a bit more. See how you go. I'll keep looking too as I get time.
Have a merry Christmas.
and this...

·
Registered
nissan
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

·
Registered
nissan
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Looks like Nissan kept quiet about it here in Australia.:mad:

·
Banned
5,323 Posts
Like they always do.
The zd was one of the most problematic diesels ever made, Nissan said they are fine.
Not just nissan though, toyo have the worse diesel ever made but say it fine..

·
Registered
A45 AMG, Ranger :(
1,163 Posts
I had a Dec 12 ST-L with, the noise started to appear whilst doing our lap with the vehicle around the 90,000kms, noticed under light load and uphills when cold. Took it to Albion Park Nissan first who were the rudest dealership i have ever been to, ignored the fault and had no interest in helping us out at all, basically told them to get f%&cked and walked out. Took it to Canberra Nissan when we got there and they booked it in immediately, we were unable to replicate the noise unfortunately but the tech i spoke to knew of the problem and the re-call. He had recently done some training with Nissan themselves and they mentioned it and was preparing a training package!

Around the 105,000km mark the cats began the fail, CEL coming on regularly. We took it into Bendigo Nissan and they confirmed and were willing to replace but we did not have the time, they also acknowledged the timing chain noise and known fault.

We had been chasing excess fuel consumption since around the 80,000km mark so must of been failing for a while.

In the end we decided on selling the vehicle as we did not have the time or money to repair or the energy to fight Nissan, and our local dealer is 2nd behind Albion Park being useless..

We still loved the car and wished we could of kept and repaired it but at the time we were unable to. I would still own another one any day, best car i have ever owned.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a Y62 series 1 Ti I purchased second hand from a dealer. It had 110,000 on it when I bought it, I’m now up to 120, still no issues as yet although very nervous as mine has a build date of January 2013. I have kept an engine oil sample from the first service I had done at 120,000 and plan to keep a sample from every service going forward. I plan to take the first sample and second sample to get tested (after I hit the 130,000 km mark and see if there is a rise in metallic contaminants from one service to another. I don’t have any issue yet but believe it’s only a matter of time. Updates on any progress for those going through trubunal or ACCC would be welcomed as I intend to follow this thead and will also update on any of my findings as they come to hand. Here’s my build plate for reference and good on you Trevhead62 for getting this thread started, trying to unite the smaller fish to fight the bigger fish.
AE04FADF-1CEF-45EA-B07E-78872A749163.jpeg

·
Banned
5,323 Posts
The chain update is around build 1440-1445. Sydo gave me the idea on looking on partsouq and punching in vin build numbers and see if a replacement chain is available.

well wouldnt ya know, early chains can not be purchased, but chains after the 1440 mark can be, there is a massive difference in chain quality.
Anyone with issues should ask the dealer why they can’t get new chains for their model.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The chain update is around build 1440-1445. Sydo gave me the idea on looking on partsouq and punching in vin build numbers and see if a replacement chain is available.

well wouldnt ya know, early chains can not be purchased, but chains after the 1440 mark can be, there is a massive difference in chain quality.
Anyone with issues should ask the dealer why they can’t get new chains for their model.
Here’s a photo of the old and new chain side by side for everyone’s reference. Easy to see the improvement the top chain is the old chain, the bottle chain the new design
A7E6CE6F-7058-4896-B149-23320BF733A9.jpeg

21 - 40 of 51 Posts