Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

Registered
Same old crap from Nissan Australia. Once you purchase the vehicle they don't won't to know you.
Unfortunately this is becoming the norm with all makes these days instead of the exception. Honour your responsibilities only when you really have no other option.

Registered
Hello TrevHead62,
Yes it is a shame and yes, I am extremely disappointed..
I intend to follow this through until we get the desired result.
I apologise for not including the build date and engine number in my earlier post, I will endeavour to get that information to you soon.
We are now up to 160,000km
Repairs were done at 120k
Noise started at around 80k

Hello PatrolWA,
Thank you for your concerns and advice, I would be very interested to learn more about the international recall and if in fact the Australian engine was built to the same spec.
Due to the fact we are now dealing with the consequential damage to the engine caused by the prolonged inability to diagnose the timing chain / oiler jets, my frustration has boiled over and my patience has all run out!! As we have been literally given the run around for too long.
To answer your question, yes.
I have reported this matter to the ACCC, awaiting their response.
Also, I have sent a complaint about the dealership service department to the MTAQ due to the lack of care and skill to diagnose and repair.
****鈥檚 about to get real!
Hello TrevHead62,

Our complaints with the MTA and the Office of Fair Trading have been processed, with the response from the Trader being very diplomatic and predictable.
Stating that, they would like to continue to work on the vehicle and do yet another oil consumption test!!
This would be the fourth time around this roundabout and I don鈥檛 want any part of it..
I am planning to take action in the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal and push for a new engine, but before I lodge an application in QCAT, I would like to gather as much information as possible to support my case.
PatrolWA and yourself have been a wealth of information so far, and I would like call upon you both again, and anyone else out there reading this forum for your advice, please..
Of most interest to me would be to confirm that VK56VD is in-fact the same spec as the American VK56DE and in the M56/Q70 5.6L
that had the international recall?
Then hopefully if I bring this information to light at the tribunal they would force Nissan Australia to follow suit and possibly prevent a lot of heartache for many other series 1 Y62 owners.
Hi there new to this, just wondering how you traveled regarding repair? i have 2013 y62 stl currently at Nissan dealership after a month out of action they have advised me the timing chain tensioner has failed causing chain t rub on the oil jet now metal in the oil and scores on the crank shaft long story short they have gone back to nissan Australia who have agreed to cover half the cost or repair out of good will, estimate at this stage 10k and no car for 2 months
cheers

Sydoforumsuperfan :)
nissan gu patrol
Hi there new to this, just wondering how you traveled regarding repair? i have 2013 y62 stl currently at Nissan dealership after a month out of action they have advised me the timing chain tensioner has failed causing chain t rub on the oil jet now metal in the oil and scores on the crank shaft long story short they have gone back to nissan Australia who have agreed to cover half the cost or repair out of good will, estimate at this stage 10k and no car for 2 months
cheers
So you are paying $5k ?

Registered
cheers
Hello there mh2017,
Sorry to hear you are having to endure this painful experience with your Y62 and Nissan Australia. But never fear, you will not be out of pocket one cent and the dealership should have also given you a courtesy car with at least as many seats as your Patrol, as they did for us when the repairs took 15 weeks to complete.
Simply call Nissan Australia Customer Service 180003535 and let them know that you have spoken with the ACCC and shan鈥檛 be paying anything for these repairs and their tune will quickly change.
Don鈥檛 be at all surprised that after you eventually get your Patrol back on the road... the engine will begin to chew through the oil like there is no tomorrow, consequently choking up the catalytic converters, so you are aware.
Buckle up you are in for a long ride...
Weeeeeeeee!
But seriously, good luck.

Registered
Hello there mh2017,
Sorry to hear you are having to endure this painful experience with your Y62 and Nissan Australia. But never fear, you will not be out of pocket one cent and the dealership should have also given you a courtesy car with at least as many seats as your Patrol, as they did for us when the repairs took 15 weeks to complete.
Simply call Nissan Australia Customer Service 180003535 and let them know that you have spoken with the ACCC and shan鈥檛 be paying anything for these repairs and their tune will quickly change.
Don鈥檛 be at all surprised that after you eventually get your Patrol back on the road... the engine will begin to chew through the oil like there is no tomorrow, consequently choking up the catalytic converters, so you are aware.
Weeeeeeeee!
HeyRad78
Why should it start chewing through the oil like no tomorrow unless of cause the rest
Hello there mh2017,
Weeeeeeeee!
hey Rad78
Why should the engine start chewing through the oil like no tomorrow, you鈥檙e obviously speaking from experience, a stretched timing shouldn鈥檛 stuff the rest of the engine so long as the car is not driven the first sign of the noise and assuming the car has been serviced at the regular intervals, if caught in time (and assuming no other issues) I would have thought the oil filter would catch any small amount of metallic contaminants that might have been produced by the chain running on the Oiler and not be enough to score the bore or .

Registered
HeyRad78
Why should it start chewing through the oil like no tomorrow unless of cause the rest

hey Rad78
Why should the engine start chewing through the oil like no tomorrow, you鈥檙e obviously speaking from experience, a stretched timing shouldn鈥檛 stuff the rest of the engine so long as the car is not driven the first sign of the noise and assuming the car has been serviced at the regular intervals, if caught in time (and assuming no other issues) I would have thought the oil filter would catch any small amount of metallic contaminants that might have been produced by the chain running on the Oiler and not be enough to score the bore or score the crank as in the case of my 2017

Registered
Hello Nightrider,
Yes I am speaking from experience.
If you go back to the beginning of this discussion you will find the answers to your questions.

Registered
Hi Rad78, just reading through your experience in earlier posts, it makes sense if you drove around for 40000km since the noise first manifest itself (no fault of your own, Nissan鈥檚 mistake for not owning what is clearly a problem). How you going with the fight for a new engine?

Registered
Hello there mh2017,
Weeeeeeeee!
yeah thanks heaps thats my next call this week to the accc see where i stand, side note have you had any issue with paint peeling as mine is peeling back to bare metal on the bonnet roof and tailgate.

Registered
I would like to give Trev and the forum a big thank-you for bringing this issue to light. I have just purchased an April 2013 built Y62 and I suspect that I have saved myself a fair bit of grief and $5k to go with it.

I came across all types looking at a used Y62 - dealers who did the right thing and replaced the timing chain before selling the car, dealers who knew nothing about it, private sellers who also knew nothing about it and are happy to argue black and blue that you never have to change the timing chain on these motors, etc etc.

The other annoying fact is that a lot of dealers are advertising the cars for sale based on the compliance date. This, IMHO, is rubbish. A car built in 20xx is built in 20xx... There are 2013 cars being advertised as 2015s, built before March, using the older style timing chain. Unsuspecting buyers are likely to snap them up (not much choice) and then be in for a rude shock.

All the best MH2017, hope you get something useful out of it.

Registered
nissan
As much as I miss the Patrol, after the rd28 dramas I had with my GU, I'm glad not to have this worry now.

Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
The other annoying fact is that a lot of dealers are advertising the cars for sale based on the compliance date. This, IMHO, is rubbish. A car built in 20xx is built in 20xx... There are 2013 cars being advertised as 2015s, built before March, using the older style timing chain. Unsuspecting buyers are likely to snap them up (not much choice) and then be in for a rude shock.
Just FYI, (not enirely applicable to this discussion because we are talking old vehicles here) the reason why dealers advertise vehicles based on compliance is because that's when the warranty (incl. any extended warranty) starts. No one would've been happy in 2015 if they bought a "brand new" vehicle built in 2013 with only 1 year warranty left on it because 2 years were wasted sitting in a stock yard.

It's an unfortunate by product of Nissan trying to sell early Y62's at over inflated prices and not being able to clear stock in a timely manner. If all goes to plan, no one should be selling vehicles with compliance dates different to build dates apart from a few sold in January, maybe.

I suspect our dear friends at (ex-) Holden will have the same problem with all their stock as their sales decline even further.

Registered
That's right it's been going on for years just probably hardly ever been as pronounced as the Y62 variations. Just the same thing as an exaggerated end of model year sell off, end of last years plate sale etc. Nissan just stretched it out a tad further than most by misreading the market. Longest I had seen prior was we bought a brand new 8 mth old BMW Mini back in 02. Most people should know that trick by now unless they've been living under a rock.
Might be a big EOFY sale coming up for Holden.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts