Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a low mileage (46k miles) 2012 QX56 in the US that I am looking at taking on the PanAmerican highway in a few years and am looking for some accessories. I can't seem to find a good source for these:

1) Much sturdier roof rack that can hold a lot more than the OEM, possibly even a rooftop tent.

2) Sturdy rear swing-out rack that can hold stuff like HiLift jack, jerry cans of gas, maybe second spare tire, etc.

Thanks in advance for any leads.

·
Registered
1 Posts
any luck? I have a 2015 qx80 and can't seem to find anything for it either. The rear bumper, I've been told will have to be custom as the patrol bumpers won't mount. Same goes for front rated recovery points. All the designs I've found doesn't appear to be correct for the qx80/56. We appear to be missing a cross member on the frame when compared to the patrol.

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
1,963 Posts
I'd suggest you guys try to get in contact with ARB. The Z62 (Infiniti) and Y62 (Patrol/Armada) have the same roof, so whatever fits on the Nissan will also fit on the Infiniti. Most Patrols in Aus didn't have roof rails from the factory, but the mounts are there, so you might just have to remove your factory Infiniti rails to make space for a decent rack.

The rear of the cars is a bit more complicated. Z62 isn't missing a cross member, but it is quite different from the Y62 one. AFAIK all Z62's have a 2" square hitchbox built into the rear cross member in the frame. Most Y62's have a 4-bolt pattern in the same spot for attaching a towing pintle. (On most vehicles this is hidden behind the plastic bumper as the pintle is teally only for GCC markets.) The Genuine Nissan Aus towbar (with a 50mm square hitchbox) bolts to the bottom of the frame, so it sits below the plastic bumper instead of protruding through it like on a Z62 with the removable plastic centre piece.

The Aus towbar has an additional spreader plate that bolts to the cross member using the pintle weld nuts. I suspect steel rear bars with swing arms will most likely also use the pintle weldnuts, so it might be difficult to bolt it up to an Infiniti.

I'm not sure what the legalities are in the US, but the rear cross members are interchangeable and I do believe they are available as service parts, so in theory you can get the welder and grinder out and fit the Y62 cross member in a Z62, but you'll lose your towbar in the process.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts