Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol y61 model
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I created a post a few days ago regarding towing capability of the above vehicle and received quite a few replies with most informing me about transmission oil coolers etc to protect the gearbox and other modifications and tips on drive modes. It was regarding towing a loaded camper trailer weighing1500kg.
I have read the recommended towing capacity of my Patrol and what I do not understand is why Nissan engineers who designed the engine and gearbox would be setting themselves up for failure and huge cost to the company, by stating a maximum towing capacity that far exceeded the vehicle's capability, in the knowledge that the gearbox/engine may fail if owners actually apply the maximum towing capacity or indeed any load below that.
In other words, if I am towing and adhering to the manufacturers loading capacity and drive the vehicle as per the recommendations in the owners manual, why would I need to add components/make modifications suggested/undertaken by many, many members of the website.
I can understand making modifications to improve sluggish towing performance and exceed the towing speed limits etc, but I cannot see the point in making modifications to "protect" the vehicle from failure, that are already protected/built into the vehicle through its engineering/design. If this was not the case, then Nissan (and other manufacturers) would be out of business by now, having replaced hundreds of gear boxes, turbo chargers etc.

I am not being critical of any posts in general or in particular, or taking the mickey out of anyone, I just do not understand and hope someone can explain it to me please.

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
2,131 Posts
Y61 is a global model designed for a world market. Unfortunatley Australia was a drop in the bucket when it came to the volume of Y61's sold. Also Australia, along with the US (where Y61 was never sold) are probably the two most severe markets when it comes to towing. Even though it is a tough vehicle, it wasn't exactly designed to cater for every possible scenario it could be subjected to in Australia.

If you were sympathetic to the mechanicals of the vehicle while it was still under warranty, you could happily tow 2.5t day in and day out with a Y61, but you shouldn't have expected to be doing it much above 80km/h.

Unfortunatley the age of all Y61's sold in Australia now range between 6 and 23 years, so none of them are "new" anymore and people towing close to the maximum GCM in combination with long distances at high ambients will put a strain on any vehicle.

If the vehicle is in "as-new" (i.e. properly maintained) condition and you drive within its limits, there's no need for extra coolers etc. But these things are considered cheap insurance if you plan on operating the vehicle close to its design limits on a regular basis.

And this goes for any vehicle, not only Y61 Patrols.

·
Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
2,349 Posts
Very few owners of these vehicles tow anything like the maximum recommended weight on a regular, sustained basis. So for most people, a stock vehicle will do fine for the annual trip, or towing a car trailer around occasionally, etc.

Therefore Nissan (and all the other manufacturers) cut costs by not including some of the features recommended to you previously. And for most people, that will be fine. However, for the minority who do tow push the vehicle's limits, these modifications are necessary to ensure component longevity. It's annoying to break down in the city, but if you are out past the Black Stump it's a case of better safe than sorry.

Another aspect is that even towing a smaller load, such modifications will still aid component longevity, by allowing the gearbox to run cooler when towing for example. Your gearbox will may last say 250,000km -- theirs will last longer. And theirs will need less maintenance (e.g. fluid changes) because it runs cooler. Nothing degrades auto transmission fluid like heat. Gearbox services are not cheap, so it can be cost effective to do these modifications in the long run.

Many members on here have taken their testing to incredible levels, monitoring more vehicle parameters while testing and tweaking aftermarket modifications than I knew there were. OldMav and geeyoutoo being two that spring to mind

·
Registered
nissan patrol y61 model
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the rational responses guys. Makes sense.
My Patrol has done 120k and just out of extended warranty.
Looks like a transmission cooler may be in order and see how it goes.

Cheers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts