Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Just searching for recommendations and pictures of setups for a new head unit.

I'm wanting to get a sleek fitted look while upgrading to a Carplay headunit with the additional front and rear cameras. I have seen a few 7" ones which look small so even if there are larger ones that have been customed feel free to show them.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
1,710 Posts
Here's what I did.

Doesn't have CarPlay but I think their new units do have it now. I'm happy with mine. It's been in for close on 18months and I can't fault it, although I would also like CarPlay now... ;)

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
172 Posts

This one is fairly cheap, and importantly has an actual volume knob.

Dunno about a front camera, i figured that's what the windshield is for

·
Registered
nissan
368 Posts
I bought and installed a Pioneer AVH-Z5200DAB unit a few months ago and it is brilliant unit.

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
1,710 Posts
Forgot to mention, I bought a 4-camera 360-deg view system off AliExpress 5 years ago and installed it in my Patrol. Still working perfectly fine although newer systems have better cameras with higher resolution now. It also has a MicroSD card slot and records video from all 4 cameras in 5min clips. When the card is full it overwrites the oldest files. So it doubles as a dash cam.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Forgot to mention, I bought a 4-camera 360-deg view system off AliExpress 5 years ago and installed it in my Patrol. Still working perfectly fine although newer systems have better cameras with higher resolution now. It also has a MicroSD card slot and records video from all 4 cameras in 5min clips. When the card is full it overwrites the oldest files. So it doubles as a dash cam.
AndrieK, is that an independant screen system or does it plug into your headunits camera input.

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
1,710 Posts
AndrieK, is that an independant screen system or does it plug into your headunits camera input.
The 4 cameras connect to a control box which "stitches" the 4 images together to give you the birds eye view. It then outputs a single video signal that plugs into the reverse camera input of the head unit. As far as the head unit is concerned, it's getting a normal reverse camera signal and doesn't know the difference.

The control box is triggered with a reverse signal, exactly like a normal reverse camera however, it also has a manual override that you can use to switch the cameras on at any point in time. By pressing the button multiple times, you can also cycle through the 4 cameras giving you a larger view of each. This comes in really handy when going off-road, as long as the cameras are dry... Doesn't work so well in mud. :giggle:

You can also connect an indicator signal to it, which will switch on the LH or RH camera in sync with the selected indicator function, but I thought this was a bit gimmicky, so I never connected it like that. Also, being an aftermarket system, it doesn't switch off above a certain speed, so you can still look at your trailer behind you while cruising down the highway.

Being in the automotive industry I've had ALOT of company cars and I think I haven't had one without a 360-deg camera system for probably 3 years. I told my wife the other day I'm finding it very difficult these days to park her Micra that doesn't have 4 cameras. :oops:

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
@AndrieK, have you got some details that I can search with. I'd like to look into this more. Sounds exactly what I thought would be useful with a ute and canopy when you are trying to navigate a carpark. Nothing worse than trying to reverse out of a carpark when you can't see out the rear passenger windows for any traffic coming down the isle. Even reverse only in this situation has limited effectiveness. So I understand it that much of the time you can leave it in revere only mode.

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
1,710 Posts
@AndrieK, have you got some details that I can search with. I'd like to look into this more.
I bought mine off AliExpress. The one I have is no longer available, but here is something typical of what you can find now.

Buying off AliExpress is a risk as a lot of the stuff can be really dodgy, but you just need to do your research. Like I said, I was lucky. I had ZERO issues with mine. It's been in for 5 years and still works fine. The resolution on mine is not great and at night the image can get quite dark, but the newer ones are now HD (1080p) and seem to work better in low light conditions, which is to be expected. The technology has obviously evolved over the last 5 years.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Yeah I'll stick with my Pioneer units, never really had any issues with them. Never thought much for Sony. I am not a big audiofile so I tend to go for the models a season or 2 "out of date" or at least out of fashion to keep the cost down.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you are chasing inches the Alpine Halo has a 9" screen that "floats" in front of your DIN slot.

I think the 9" would be awesome but I am concerned about it bouncing off road. I like the idea of it but then I go back to the KISS theory and get something 7" fitted and less to go wrong.

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
1,710 Posts
Be careful with these big "floating" screens. Because the vehicle wasn't designed with these in mind, they can obscure other OE functions / buttons and be more of an annoyance than anything else.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
320 Posts
just picked up the last years pioneer 5150 headunit for $389 from $799 from supercheap on clearance. has android auto and car play. awesome buying and so far very happy with it. sales over but keep an eye out as people will be liquidating them

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
They are a decent unit. I've had the MVH version which is the same model without DVD/CD drive. I've often bought from the States as the model is usually older over there then here. So the 5150 was discounted over there a couple of years ago.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts