Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Mexican High Country 2021
Dates and location are now locked in so you can put it in your diaries. (apologies if changes affect your decisions)
Date 23rd April to 26th April 2021 Friday to Monday this is the weekend after the end of Victorian school holidays. The original dates clashed with the Licola town festival which books the caravan park out.

Location will be the Licola Caravan Park
Licola Caravan Park
I spoke with the managers today and I believe they have all the facilities we need with multiple levels of accommodation including a licensed general store if you run out of essential supplies, access to a campfire area with a mess-room. Plus for those that fish there is a river that can be fished from the park.
You will be asked to book and pay for your own accommodation please note the cabins and bunk houses do not have en-suites and you have to provide your own linen.
I will keep in touch with the caravan park on whether deposits will need to be paid and when that will be and to also give them an update of numbers going
So please can you put your names in the list of those attending and we will see you there.
Cheers Oscar

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
14,818 Posts
We wont be there for this one. ❄

Reactions: Oscar and Leone

·
Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
2,492 Posts
Mark me down as a yes! Can't help recommend a venue though -- none of the places I normally go are that flash.

Prospective Attendee List
Oscar & Leone with M & Moss.
Andrie & Declan
dkril

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
I'll consider it closer to the time. My ancestors were amongst the first to go to Dargo and built the original Dargo Inn in the early 1860s. Its still standing on the north side of Dargo. Used to own a lot of land up there including the river flats. We also had a lot of land on the Mitchell and Snowy rivers.

·
Registered
nissan
862 Posts
Good choice. VHC is our trip for next year, haven't put dates to it yet however confident can put a plan around these. Will be a couple of extra vehicles. 👍

Prospective Attendee List
Andrie & Declan
dkril
Qik60

Reactions: Oscar and Leone

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,839 Posts
Andrie & Declan
dkril
Qik60
geeyoutoo

·
Registered
nissan
114 Posts
Count me in at this stage.
If we are starting off at dargo we will have to go down to talbotvile and possibly use that at a camp base?

·
Registered
nissan
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Count me in at this stage.
If we are starting off at dargo we will have to go down to talbotvile and possibly use that at a camp base?
We've been to Talbotville so looking for somewhere different this time and the camping area I am looking for I am hoping to be able to park caravans to allow people options on how they want to camp eg Caravan ,Hotel Motel or tent swag some don't like to sleep on the ground anymore (me)

Reactions: Millhouse88

·
Registered
nissan
6,814 Posts
I think Talbotville would make a great base camp, particularly for people new to the area. I know it doesn't have the same level of infrastructure as Dargo but I've seen some pretty big caravans at Talbotville so the road in should not present an issue to vans. It has a dunny, huge grassed areas and a beautiful creek with the full range of tracks right out of the camp without travel to start them. The only thing Talbotville doesn't have is the Dargo Hotel & General Store within walking distance. This might be enough that people would rather base themselves at Dargo.

I'd also suggest that staying away from school holidays is a good move.

·
Registered
2003 GU PATROL
19,810 Posts
Pending if i still have the Patrol by then.

Andrie & Declan
dkril
Qik60
geeyoutoo
Softy

·
Registered
nissan
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can anyone give me some information on Licola google maps show a caravan park and it looks as if there should be tracks nearby

·
Registered
nissan
114 Posts
Can anyone give me some information on Licola google maps show a caravan park and it looks as if there should be tracks nearby
There is tracks from Dargo to licola and from licola you can make your way towards baw baw on tracks also
I have been on them once or twice but im sure there is others on here who would have a better knowledge of the tracks..
At licola there is the main caravan park and then a bunch of free camp sites along the Macalister river that have toilet facilities and fire pits but same as previous post i would avoid school holiday periods as it does get busy and depending on the time of the year you will find plenty of snow around the high plains.
Also licola is a good base to look at old huts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,660 Posts
Gippsland suffered terrible damage in the recent bushfires, and although the townships would be grateful for the patronage, the landscape might not be what people are expecting.

·
Premium Member
nissan
1,265 Posts
Andrie & Declan
dkril
Qik60
geeyoutoo
Softy
Metric and Theresa

·
Registered
4 Posts
If it's going to be in the VIC high country, my son and I would love to join. He'll be 7 by then.
Andrie & Declan
My little bloke will be 7 for this too...

I live in the VHC and would say the best and easiest place would be drys hut. There's easy access from Mansfield for shopping n supplies and it's close to alot of great tracks.
One really good trip from there qould be heading back to wangaratta and doing the back track through lake william hovell, Evan's creek hut, bo. 3 hut, tomahawk hut, razorback huts and Craig's hut. It's a fairly good drive and I'd class a medium grade track.
Any 4wd with decent tyres could do it.

Would love to help out with planning.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,660 Posts
Not to mention the great pubs and vineyards in the king valley

·
Registered
nissan
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks @CraigMartin I might take you up on the offer of help.and your boy is more than welcome
As I said at the start I am looking for a site that would make a good basecamp for those that have caravans (and there are a few) And hotel motel rooms close by for those if there are any that don't want to camp Hoping I will know by the end of the month so I can start with accommodation bookings
Tracks that those of us who have not had a lot of experience on can drive and without damaging vehicles
Experience has shown me that at the meetups we usually have lateish starts and early finishes
Cheers Oscar

·
Registered
nissan
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Coincidentally I've been sorting out my maps today, so I'll have a Captain Cook at them.
That will be good thanks

1 - 20 of 82 Posts