Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Rogue
20,642 Posts
I just want to confirm that your after 235/85/16? Because that size (27") is like a low profile tyre on a 16" wheel :D

·
Rogue
20,642 Posts
What? So what is a 265/75/16? I was under the impression they were a 31"?? So a 235 would be smaller, no?

·
Registered
674 Posts
What? So what is a 265/75/16? I was under the impression they were a 31"?? So a 235 would be smaller, no?
If it was a 235/75x16 then it would be smaller..

It works out in theory.. like this..

235 is the width in millimetres. 85 is the percentage height of the sidewall.. So....

85% of 235 is basically 200mm.. There are two sidewalls in the diameter of the tyre.. and the 16inch rim in the middle (400mm).

So if we add the two sidewalls at 200 each... and the diameter of the rim of another 400mm giving a total of 800mm overall.. which equates to 32inches.. (all theoritcally of course)

:)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi Joy

I have several sets of wheels/Tyres on my 4800 including a set of 235/85/16 Toyo Opats (10ply at) on 7inch trak11.
The nett effect is to take 4kg off the unsprung weight per wheel and makes car feel lighter and more responsive.

These tyres are used for long distance touring as they are taller than average but with good tread width and long mileage.

For extra ground clearance though I also use 255/85/16 which is a bit over 33inch but with the same tread width.

·
Rogue
20,642 Posts
RIGHTO then! I get it know, i though it was 285 was some sort of stupid measurement for the height! Tyres sizes are the one of the very few Metric measurements I HATE! Along with pressure, prefer PSI in mechanical applications (ie tyres, boost, hydrolics and pneumatics) any day of the week.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Joy,

I also run 235x85x16, but sorry I haven't any photos.I guess with todays trend to wider and wider wheels they may not look as fashionable, but in terms of performance, I think it unlikely you'd find them wanting.

You may have already read this, but if not it's worth the read; Expeditions West: Tire Selection for Expedition Travel

Cheers,

Graeme

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
I used to run 235/85R16's on my last GU all the time. I'll drag up some photos. I reckon it's a terrific size for touring and day to day use.

First photo is 235/85R16 Bridgestone 661's ( terrific AT tyre ) on standard Nissan split rims.

Second photo is 235/85R16 Kumho HT's on 16x7 ROH track 2 rims with 'Toyota offset' -22 I think.

The only reason I don't have them on my current GU is it came with little 265/70R16's that I need to wear out first.

·
Registered
387 Posts
RIGHTO then! I get it know, i though it was 285 was some sort of stupid measurement for the height! Tyres sizes are the one of the very few Metric measurements I HATE! Along with pressure, prefer PSI in mechanical applications (ie tyres, boost, hydrolics and pneumatics) any day of the week.
Actually "modern" tyre sizes are a bastardised mix of metric and imerial :rolleyes:

Ie 285/75/16 means 285mm tread width / 75% of treadwith in profile / to fit 16" diameter rims. Tyre converter is already posted, but I find the formula eaiest:

For x/y/z Tyres (Ie 285/75/16):
diameter = (2*x*y/.254)+z

Theoretical or course - every manufacturer is different. That gives you the diameter in inches, if you want it in mm, just multiply by 25.4.
As to why there is any imperial reference left - who knows. There are only 3 countries in the world whos units are still officially imperial. If my memory serves me correctly - Myomar, Latvia, and yep, you guessed it...... USA! :eviltong::eviltong:eviltong: (stick it up them I say)

·
Registered
361 Posts
My vehicle 2007 Gu Pickup 4.2D, comes out with 235's as standard here in south africa, im now running 285's but i have a pic of it with the originals somewhere, i'll have a look and post it. It ran really well with the 235's.

·
Registered
19 Posts
85 profile

How does this affect the gearing? In particular the speedo. Wouldn't it make the overall gearing taller so on the high way cruise lower revs but the downside in low range? What about fuel consumption? The extra diff clearance would be a bonus especially in places like the Flinders Ranges & being able pick your way through rocks easier. Hhmm I didn't consider this tyre size but mine will need replacing in a bout 6 months so thinking of GoodYear Wrangler Duratrac 235/85R16 120Q.

Thoughts.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Duggy, The 235 x 80x 16 which was standard on my DX is very similar in diameter to the also standard 265x70 on a lot of others. The effect of changing to 235x85 is indeed to raise your overall gearing very slightly and to give about 12mm extra ground clearance under your diffs. The change in tyres would also cause your speedo to read approximately 3% slow, perhaps a problem if your speedo is accurate. However, in my case the speedo was reading fast and the tyres corrected it.
With regard to fuel consumption, I've not noticed a significant change either way.
Graeme

·
Registered
19 Posts
Duggy, The 235 x 80x 16 which was standard on my DX is very similar in diameter to the also standard 265x70 on a lot of others. The effect of changing to 235x85 is indeed to raise your overall gearing very slightly and to give about 12mm extra ground clearance under your diffs. The change in tyres would also cause your speedo to read approximately 3% slow, perhaps a problem if your speedo is accurate. However, in my case the speedo was reading fast and the tyres corrected it.
With regard to fuel consumption, I've not noticed a significant change either way.
Graeme
GU.GT. thanks for the info. The extra diff clearance is the significant factor for me.

·
Registered
334 Posts
An old thread but I found it interesting as I run 235/85/16's but also have 31's in the shed. Didn't realise they (235's) were lighter? but did notice it was easier to steer.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts

Since we've dug this up...

These are my 'new' rims. Ignore the overspray, those tyres are gone. Replaced with new LT235/85R16's. As I said before, I reckon these are a great size tyre for general day to day driving and touring. They're far more practical than the standard 265/70R16's that came standard with my GU DX. As GUGT says they little bit of an increase in ride height works well. It's about all I need. 285's would be too wide for what I need.

255's, which are the next size up 85 series tyre would also suit me...but buying six in one hit it a bit tough on the minister for war and finance when I already have the 235's in abundance.

And some trivia for the weight consciuous, a standard Nissan 16x6 rim fitted with a 235/85R16 LT tubeless tyre weighs in at 34.8kgs

·
Registered
392 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts