Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've currently got an extension cord routed out of the rear left inspection cover for plugging in charger and engel but want to do a better job with caravan type 240V inlet. Am looking at mounting somehow on left rear bumper and want to know if anyone has done this and how and where. Any advice or pics appreciated.
Cheers
Nige

·
Registered
nissan
240 Posts
well the back off those scokets r not weather proof i would not recomend (ime a licenced leco)

·
Registered
224 Posts
the inlet supposed to be on the drivers side of the vehicle, where ever you put the inlet on the other side you will have to make a box of some sort with an RCD and a Double pole GPO, I'd keep using the lead its cheaper and safer thats what i do and im a sparky

·
Registered
nissan
77 Posts
yeah x 2 x 2 never a good idea really to mount mains gpos or inlets directly to ya truck if u can help it. Those rubber tyres are good insulators , humans are not. stick with the lead mate. rcd'S dont offer 100% total protection either,

·
Registered
nissan
62 Posts
Why dont you have the charger external to the car (mounted on the garage wall etc) then plug the 12v somewhere (Through the grill perhaps?). Ctek supply a lead and suitable plug with their chargers.

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
625 Posts
Why dont you have the charger external to the car (mounted on the garage wall etc) then plug the 12v somewhere (Through the grill perhaps?). Ctek supply a lead and suitable plug with their chargers.
Yep, thats how I do it, seems the most practical way.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
57 Posts
you should never say never you could ram a earth stake in everytime you use it or run a 25m chain out the back whilst your driving so there are ways but i would still say stivk with the lead maybe install a inline rcd to help with safty but take what jethro said they need a earth to work

·
Registered
nissan
62 Posts
you should never say never you could ram a earth stake in everytime you use it or run a 25m chain out the back whilst your driving so there are ways but i would still say stivk with the lead maybe install a inline rcd to help with safty but take what jethro said they need a earth to work
Incorrect. An RCD measures the current in the active and neutral conductors and if there is an imbalance by greater than the set amount it will trip. To the OP don't do it. Imagine if your home wired 240V system develops a fault and livens up the steel surface of your car. The next person to touch it could end up in a morgue as a result.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Incorrect. An RCD measures the current in the active and neutral conductors and if there is an imbalance by greater than the set amount it will trip. To the OP don't do it. Imagine if your home wired 240V system develops a fault and livens up the steel surface of your car. The next person to touch it could end up in a morgue as a result.

Not entirely correct, with an RCD you can still get a shock between active and neutral, if there's an imbalance between active and earth or neutral and earth it will trip if there is no earth it might not measure the imbalance and wont trip unless some one makes the earth which you would hope it will trip. Essentially if it livens the steel surface of the car if wired correctly it will trip straight away power is applied if not then your asking for trouble and you would also hope the ext-lead is wired correctly before you plug it in, but any way i think he gets the idea stick with the lead :)

·
Registered
nissan
546 Posts
If you have an external plug for camper power etc, like they said just mount the charger on the wall and have a low voltage plug setup to plug into the car, have it on the drivers side or somewhere easily seen so you dont take the charger for a run if you havent noticed it!!
Or just fit a solar panel like i have and forget all about flat batts, I never turn my fridge off. Love it
Cheers
Zappa

·
Registered
224 Posts
If you have an external plug for camper power etc, like they said just mount the charger on the wall and have a low voltage plug setup to plug into the car, have it on the drivers side or somewhere easily seen so you dont take the charger for a run if you havent noticed it!!
Or just fit a solar panel like i have and forget all about flat batts, I never turn my fridge off. Love it
Cheers
Zappa
What size solar panel do you have?

·
Registered
nissan
186 Posts
Put an anderson plug on the front bar connected to the battery.

Set up the charger in the garage using the anderson plug. Many fire trucks are going this way as are ambulances. It is safer and you could also make an anderson to jumper clip set, saving the need to pop the bonnet when jump starting someone or you getting a jump start.

I use one on my car, so when my motorsport buggy has a flat I just drive up with my double ended anderson leads - takes 1 minute to jump start it.

120A High Current Connector - Jaycar Electronics

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all responses. I have the charger in the vehicle so can plug in at caravan parks or wherever we're staying with 240v if not running the car every day for nthe isolator to do its thing.
I still like the idea of caravan type inlet, but until I can find a waterproof way to mount it (without making a hole in the bodywork!) I guess I'll stick to the cord.
Cheers

·
Registered
nissan
546 Posts
What size solar panel do you have?
I have a 64w Uni solar thats mounted in my roof/pipe rack. I m a plumber. In good light it will produce 4.8 amps and still has enough grunt to keep the battery topped up in overcast/cool days. It runs thru a regulator and then onto my aux bat. Which has stereo, 2 way, cig lighter and rear power points in the tray pulling off it. In good sun with fridge running 24/7 the bat will float, otherwise even the next morn with fridge still running bat will still be in the green. Love it
Zappa

1 - 15 of 15 Posts