Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there boys and girls, just wondering if any one has used these 25mm front tailshaft spacers before ??? And had success??.i have just installed a 6" lift in my truck and have noticed when i lock the hubs in and put it 4wd at about 80km when i back of the accelerator i get a spinning vibration feel and noise this only happens when hubs are locked. I have drop boxes and cross member has been notched correctly with plenty of clearance both tail shafts fully rebuilt. i have read on a few posts to use these tail shaft spacers but there is bugger all about any wins with them. I don't want gear box spacers i wanna test run these tail shaft spacers first any info would be great cheers

·
Registered
nissan
2,091 Posts
You shouldn't need a spacer coz the slip joint has enough length to allow for a 6" lift and 14" travel shocks.

The reason you're getting a vibration after a big lift is that the slip joint on the shaft is now working on a different area of its travel, ie it's extended a bit, and it might be a bit worn in that area.
Try pumping some fresh grease in the slip joint and see if that helps.

I know you said that the shaft has been rebuilt, but it's not uncommon for places to just rebuild the uni joints and not the slip joint.

Also,, and I'm not sure on this coz ive never looked into it, but I'd be concerned that, with a 25mm spacer, the shaft may be too long when compressing the suspension to the stock bumpstops

·
Sydoforumsuperfan :)
nissan gu patrol
8,929 Posts
Why would you want a spacer if it's not needed ? Have you greased the slip joint yet ?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes its greased i want to stop the grinding noise have read from a few other post the tail shaft spacer fixed the problem

·
Registered
nissan
2,091 Posts
A spacer may fix the problem (by putting the slip joint splines in the same range as before), but it may also cause a problem, like I hinted at in my previous post.

The proper fix is to get the slip joint replaced or try and get a relatively fresh shaft out of a later model GU.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts