Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
nissan/st
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, been looking around this forum topic but can't find the exact answer im looking for.

Which one of these sized tyres would you put on standard alloy factory rims.
Im looking at the bfg km2, I have a 2inch flexy lift.
Some say the bigger size will scrap on inner guards, but would there be any disadvantages to the narrow size?
It appears there is almost $100 difference between the two sizes per tyre.

Any answers will be appreciated, and no doubt help me make a decision.

Cheers
Garreth.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
Garreth,
Firstly you need to think about what do you want to use the car mainly for and what other modifications do you have or want to have for power or gearing?

Bigger tyres will give you better ground clearance under the diff for better off road performance.
But this also means bigger diameter resulting in less power, more rolling resistance, slower take off, less towing power and poorer fuel economy for touring. So think about it.

If you have a few power upgrades then it is a whole different story. The bigger tyres are most likely to hit the front mud flaps rather than scrape the inside of the guards if you have standard GU wheels.

Have a look at a tyre size czlculator to see what the difference is likely to be.
http://www.kouki.co.uk/utilities/visual-tyre-size-calculator

Bearing in mind that you started with (I don't know what model G you have but if it has 17" alloys they would have been fitted with
275/65x/17" which are 78.93 cm diameter.
265/70x17 will be 80.28 cm diameter. 1.7% increase in size (which is bugger all)
285/70x17 will be 83.8 cm diameter. 5.3% increase in size.

·
Registered
nissan gq patrol
55 Posts
i have 265/70/17 or 31.6 inch on my factory alloys for everyday duties, compared to a 285/70 which is a 32.7 so they are a bit taller as well as 20mm wider. you shouldnt get much if any scrubbing with the 285's if you have removed or modified the mud flaps. if you do any sand driving the extra width will be advantageous

·
Registered
nissan/st
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey thanks guys, I do a bit of touring/towing, and have chipped and exhausted the gu.
I might stick with getting the 265-70-17.
They appear like they are available on ebay now, at what I would call a good price + there would be freight charges.
Once again thanks for those replies.

Garreth.

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
Yes probably a good idea Garreth.
I have 285/75 (33") on 16" rims on my GU series IV. Although the bigger tyres do look good and do go well in sand etc, when towing, I do notice that there is a drop in performance.

When it is lightly loaded or empty, the thing is great for power (chip, 3" exhaust, diesel gas, intercooler and a few other engine mods). But towing and heavily loaded on a hot day just feels guttless. Put the factory standard tyres/wheels (275/65x17) back on and it is great on road but crap off road, so it is always a compromise.

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
They're both tiny tyres that won't scrub. But you do have a flexi lift so the rear tyres might rub on the chassis rail at full flex. IMO the 285/70 is the better all rounder. Even a 285/70 looks stock standard on a GU4+, anything less just looks ghey.

Fwiw I run 35x12.5R17 on the factory alloy rims and a 3" lift.

Ps..IMO the BFG are a poor choice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts