Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GUiv, TD42. I'm currently running 265/75 R16 Couragia muds that are nearly run out. I had made my mind up to get 285/75s next time but on the weekend I found myself having to do a moderately steep handbrake start in a suburban street. I had to slip the clutch to take off - something I hate doing to a clutch. Now I'm reconsidering! What are other people's opinions/experiences on the fitting of 285s and how it changes the car's gearing? Thanks in advance.

·
If you have to ask why you wouldn't understand
nissan
553 Posts
Slight change, you get used to it pretty quickly. If you do a lot of steep slow work you may get frustrated. You can change your diff ratios if it really annoys you!

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,182 Posts
Not really an issue. I find Patrol low range poor in any standard configuration, that's about it.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol/Maverick
594 Posts
It definitely slows it down. You may get used to it but if you swap them back to 265 you very quickly notice the difference. Off-road the bigger tyres are king though :)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ride the clutch. Wont hurt if you only do it occasionally.
Mark, have you ever replaced the clutch in a TD42 GU? (no sarcasm intended) In 40 years as a diesel fitter, I've never done such a difficult clutch replacement. Even a Cat 12 grader was easier!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
couldn't you start in low range ??
Yeah, but then I've gotta pull over, change into high range and take off again. Pain in the arse! And I'm not prepared to change ranges on the fly. Some people may be able to do it but I like my gearbox too much.

·
Registered
nissan
575 Posts
I made the change a year ago - great for off roading. To be truthful I do not notice a difference. Never had to ride the clutch etc..

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
I made the change a year ago - great for off roading. To be truthful I do not notice a difference. Never had to ride the clutch etc..
Me neither. Bought the vehicle stock, put a 2" lift and 285-75's s 6months later. Never noticed a difference. On my third set of 285-75's now. Still nothing that causes issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys,

ima lot confused between 265 75 r16 or 285 75 r16..... currently running on 275 70 r16 with 50mm wheel spacer and Rays rims... not exactly sure about the offset.

appreciate your comments ;)

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Hey guys,
ima lot confused between 265 75 r16 or 285 75 r16..... currently running on 275 70 r16 with 50mm wheel spacer and Rays rims... not exactly sure about the offset.
appreciate your comments ;)
What is it that is confusing you. What are you trying to understand.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The 50mm wheel spacer on the patrol is the reason for all the confusion :

1)which tire size to proceed with!! (265 or 285s)

2) Also worried about tire protrusion from the fender.

I looking into BFGs all terrain version.

·
Registered
nissan/patrol
64 Posts
If ever stuck like that just shift into low 4x4 1st gear start engine with clutch out and drive until clear , then change gears as nessicary. works a treat even with cooked clutch . Will get your arse home every time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts