Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With so many 270 awnings on the market, trying to pick one is incredibly difficult. I'm looking at the 23Zero for my Patrol because it pivots from both ends, and covers the front and back doors as well as rear. I sleep across the back seat, dog on the front seat, with kitchen etc in the back, hence why the 23Zero looks good. A lot don't cover the front door. But quality of canvas etc is huge unknown. Darche and foxwing are cumbersome for a one person setup in my opinion. Don't need walls. My ARBs, one back, one side, often don't get setup purely because of the mucking around with two awnings, two lots poles, pegs etc and lack of actual share shade especially when sun in the large corner triangle thats not covered.

There's a lot of threads, but not seen any comments on this brand. Thoughts?

·
Registered
nissan
198 Posts
I don't have the falcon but some quick thoughts:
The mounting brackets look very flimsy and prone to bending or breaking.
I like the extra space, but does it have a wall that goes from the top down to the front quarter panel to protect from wind? I could see the inside becoming a wind tunnel with a couple of walls set up.

I have been running a 30 second wing awning for over a year now; I've set it up on my own many times even in gusty winds and camped in a storm. Fo far It's held up great, however it has developed a small water leak where a strap connects to the roof and the extension for the roof creaks a bit in the wind. I'd reccommend this for camping, particularly going solo as it is very easy to set up. It is a bit of a struggle setting up in high winds however, so if you were to run the falcon solo those struggles would be doubled because of the extra time and steps.

All wing awnings are prone to becoming sails, once mine got caught while setting up and flipped up 90 degrees. The mounting brackets and awning were fine; my roofrack broke instead 😅.

·
Premium Member
nissan
6,941 Posts
The best of the 270 awnings I've seen is definitely the 30 Second Wing Awning but it doesn't do a great job of covering the front door. They are so robust they only use one pole and you only have to use that if the wind is over 15 knots, otherwise it is free standing (as long as your roof rack is up to it). Good quality canvas and solid fittings.

The best of the ones I've seen that give good coverage of the front door is the Supa Wing Delux 2.5 Large. This has the advantage of not only being longer along the side of the vehicle but also comes out further from the side of the vehicle than normal. Is is available in an even longer version of 3m if you need it but that projects forward of the roof line.

I expect that both these awnings to be at the very top of the price range but they are both very well made and I think are both made in Australia.

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
672 Posts
If you’re after a 270 awning that also folds forward to cover the front door, have a look at these .

This one is Australian made and completely free standing setup

This one is also Australian made, not free standing but significantly lighter and cheaper.
supapeg are known for very high quality canvas

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The bushwakka extreme blue is more than I'm wanting to spend, being around the $2500. The extreme is around the $1k, plus brackets. What put me off the bushwakka was it hardly covers either side door, whilst wrapping around a long way past where needed on the back. Hence the idea of twin hinged, it gets the awning more towards the front of the vehicle.

I guess with flex comes the ability to take a bit of bend and wind. Solid and any wind is going to put a lot of pressure. But, if it only takes a minute to cl wrap back around/put down, even if not put away, its better to me than fighting an awning that is flip flopping all over the place whilst I try to pull it down. I know what its like trying to drop my straight arb awnings by myself when the wind picks up a little. Not safe or pretty.

Attachments

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
672 Posts
The bushwakka extreme blue is more than I'm wanting to spend, being around the $2500. The extreme is around the $1k, plus brackets. What put me off the bushwakka was it hardly covers either side door, whilst wrapping around a long way past where needed on the back. Hence the idea of twin hinged, it gets the awning more towards the front of the vehicle.

I guess with flex comes the ability to take a bit of bend and wind. Solid and any wind is going to put a lot of pressure. But, if it only takes a minute to cl wrap back around/put down, even if not put away, its better to me than fighting an awning that is flip flopping all over the place whilst I try to pull it down. I know what its like trying to drop my straight arb awnings by myself when the wind picks up a little. Not safe or pretty.
Yeah it definitely sounds like you want one that hinges both forward and backward for your setup.

I would say a big advantage of most 270 awnings is they seem way easier for a 1-man setup than a typical side awning. I watched a bloke do his Darche 270 in maybe a minute flat by himself. I'm always stuffing around with my side awning. Gives me the ****s actually. And then it rains and the back of my wagon isn't covered! **** fight.

I'm actually wondering what makes you say the Darche looks cumbersome to setup? Near as I can tell, it's no different to that 23zero you've listed. Both can be freestanding while setting up, but both then recommend you drop the poles straight away. That's different to the supapeg or rhino batwing for example which aren't designed to hold their own weight at all, even during setup.

TBH, I wouldn't trust any awning to be "free-standing" regardless of what the manufacturer reckons. There's too much physics at play if a gust of wind grabs one of these things, as with @Neardood1's experience of a broken roof rack.

Here's a pic of someones Darche setup on a patrol I saw on facebook today. No poles out yet. Looks like great coverage

8D702B1C-CF87-436C-BDA3-C63C2A55841F.png

·
Registered
nissan
198 Posts
I'll admit that my 30 second wing awning can be a bit annoying when the wall is set up along the passenger side door. I can barely open the door however this won't be as bad for most because I mounted my awning farther back than normal. For more than two people having the extra space up front would be a huge plus.

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
672 Posts
Righto I've gone down the rabbit hole a bit and done some homework for you (Because I'm avoiding the actual homework I need to do, and I want a 270 myself)

Snowys has both the Darche and the 23zero. They've done review videos on both which are worth watching. Both look to be an easy setup for sure.
The big difference seems to be the Darche has better coverage at the rear. Here's a pic of both dimensions

23zero

Darche

Someone even asked the snowys guy directly and this is what he said

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dont know how many places I searched that question, yet right there on the website? Ugh #[email protected]

The other major issue that I keep coming across with the Darche is water leaking inside the bag when packed up. I've read of the problem enough times, and seen youtube videos for it to be a concern. Has anyone got a Darche unit that can comment as to how big an issue it actually is? I don't want it rotting away whilst packed up as vehicle isn't always under cover.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Yet I don't know if the 23Zero will have issues because it's relatively unknown. Easy to see why it's such a difficult decision to make. Even more expensive units like the alu-cab, one review showed rub holes after only a few uses.

·
Registered
nissan
198 Posts
Yes rain can be an issue. Without poles and pegging down the middle parts between rafters to for valleys, rain tends to pool on the 30SWA (probably 10 liters). Good if you wanted to fill up a jerry can but without the poles it would be putting massive stress on the mounts and rack.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just rang DARCHE. They said the bag leaking when the unit is put away is a known issue, and would require opening up the awning from time to time to dry it out. She said particularly from washing your car. Um excuse me, but who doesn't need to wash their 4wd?? I mentioned that mine often didn't get used for months at a time, so high risk of going mouldy. I asked if there were plans to make changes in RD, yes was the answer. The problem in part exists because the bag is made so as to be replacable. She recommended leaving the zip at the lowest point etc as per the videos. No warranty if it leaks and goes mouldy. I said sorry, thanked her for her honesty, but that's simply a deal breaker.

Straight from DARCHE themselves.

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
672 Posts
Just rang DARCHE. They said the bag leaking when the unit is put away is a known issue, and would require opening up the awning from time to time to dry it out. She said particularly from washing your car. Um excuse me, but who doesn't need to wash their 4wd?? I mentioned that mine often didn't get used for months at a time, so high risk of going mouldy. I asked if there were plans to make changes in RD, yes was the answer. The problem in part exists because the bag is made so as to be replacable. She recommended leaving the zip at the lowest point etc as per the videos. No warranty if it leaks and goes mouldy. I said sorry, thanked her for her honesty, but that's simply a deal breaker.

Straight from DARCHE themselves.
I did see another YouTube video of someone else saying the same issue. They reckon they’d Treated the mould several times.
i agree a deal breaker considering no other awning seems to have the same problem.
Zips on the bottom might help a little drain out, but most water that gets in will be caught in all the folds of the fabric.

I would love to see how the coverage is at the back of the patrol with a 23zero. Bit Lighter too per snowys

1 - 14 of 14 Posts