Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I see a few guys here are very happy with their Eclipse Turbo conversions. I've been looking at the Eclipse site and they are claiming 600+ nm at the wheels, however the torque curve looks quite peaky to me.

I love to hear anyone's opinion on towing a 2T trailer with a torque curve similar to that ? I've currently got my CRD with tune from Powercurve in Nambour and whilst its fantastic compared to stock, its still a bloody horrible slug with the camper trailer on back.

The Mrs is ok for the potential conversion to LS3 but if I can get a good experience with a turbo change over like the Eclipse I'd prefer that. Heaps cheaper and prolly use less fuel too.

Would love to know responses from guys actually towing heavy trailers with a CRD. Mine is a manual, so low down response is crucial as well.

Thanks !

·
obi 1 patientnewby !
nissan
437 Posts
I would like to hear some real world experience too.
It could be interesting, to see just how good at towing, the ZD30 could be.

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
1,040 Posts
I don't tow a van, but do tow trailers for work. Our tipper tares approx 1t and has a 3.5 rating.

The car will pull it no worries. EGT and heat soak are a different story.

·
Registered
NISSAN PATROL Y61 3.0 Di (ZD30) 09/2000
733 Posts
A turbo does not bring torque or power as such. It brings air if, and only if, it is properly managed. So yes, this turbo might bring you more air.

It is only when mixed properly with fuel that you will get more torque / power. But to get there, you also need the right remap.

EGTs come up when too much load is demanded from the motor and/or you have too much fuel vs available air.

·
Registered
nissan
39 Posts
IMO going a turbo upgrade and tune/upgrades to match is probably still better than converting to a big petrol V8. The fuel saving will pay for it eventually. However, you need to understand that punching out double the factory torque comes with consequences, namely shortened engine life, especially if you are heavily loading it by towing regularly.

·
Registered
Nissan
168 Posts
Hi All,

I see a few guys here are very happy with their Eclipse Turbo conversions. I've been looking at the Eclipse site and they are claiming 600+ nm at the wheels, however the torque curve looks quite peaky to me.

I love to hear anyone's opinion on towing a 2T trailer with a torque curve similar to that ? I've currently got my CRD with tune from Powercurve in Nambour and whilst its fantastic compared to stock, its still a bloody horrible slug with the camper trailer on back.

The Mrs is ok for the potential conversion to LS3 but if I can get a good experience with a turbo change over like the Eclipse I'd prefer that. Heaps cheaper and prolly use less fuel too.

Would love to know responses from guys actually towing heavy trailers with a CRD. Mine is a manual, so low down response is crucial as well.

Thanks !
I note OldMav did a R&D testing write up on the ZD30 Eclipse package, I'm assuming you've read that. I'm sure they can accomodate a perfect tune set up for your needs. From what I understand is they have struck the perfect balance in all concerns to make the drivabllity of the ZD30 at it's best.

I drive a diesel for the power and economy, and tank range. And longevity of the engine. The LS will use 20+ L per 100, and you will probably need to run higher ocatan which is more x'y.The cost of the conversion is not necessary, you already have a good engine and I'm sure you can find other things to spend the extra money on, than the turbo would cost fitted.

If nobody can answer your question I recommend pm @OldMav because he's the designer of the Eclipse Turbo upgrade kit's as far as I know

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I note OldMav did a R&D testing write up on the ZD30 Eclipse package, I'm assuming you've read that. I'm sure they can accomodate a perfect tune set up for your needs. From what I understand is they have struck the perfect balance in all concerns to make the drivabllity of the ZD30 at it's best.

I drive a diesel for the power and economy, and tank range. And longevity of the engine. The LS will use 20+ L per 100, and you will probably need to run higher ocatan which is more x'y.The cost of the conversion is not necessary, you already have a good engine and I'm sure you can find other things to spend the extra money on, than the turbo would cost fitted.

If nobody can answer your question I recommend pm @OldMav because he's the designer of the Eclipse Turbo upgrade kit's as far as I know
Great to know OldMav is the guy !. I read Geeyoutoo write up too, all looked very interesting. but I didn't know if they'd done any towing with it. towing 1T with the current remap is fine. I know its there, but with 2T its all a bit nasty. Eclipse show like 612 nm at the rears.... which is huge. I've get complete faith in the guys at powercurve to get the tune right, they tune all day long everyday.

Will give oldMav and Geeyoutoo a DM

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,959 Posts
If possible, some of us who are also curious would want to see their response here on the thread. Perhaps @OldMav and @geeyoutoo can oblige
I can't say I've towed since the Eclipse went on, but, I towed many things with the old turbo, and my last boat combo went 1.5T and it did it easily, I have a lot more Hp and a heap more torque these days so I don't see it being a problem at all. EGT is more controllable these days for some reason, even though it cruises at a slightly higher setting (which is what I wanted, 210c was way to low) it doesn't work as hard when you do give it a push. Wife has been looking at vans again recently so I may just finish up with one anyway to report on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts