Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 3.0 auto box mated to a td42T (transplant after the 3.0 went bang). The ECU for the gearbox is still there.

The shift pionts are all way off now. So I will pull away under moderate pedal and it will continue to 3000 odd rpm before changing up. I eventually have to come almost completely off the gas before it will change up.

I also have a massive hill (12% grade) for a few hundred meters up to my house and the troll will not kick down until too late and just get bogged down. I take the hill with the gearbox locked in second she is all good (sometimes 1st at the top but then she is reving).

Can you program the shift pionts on that box or do I have a diff ratio change in my future?

P.S> I have 31 inch tyres.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
313 Posts
As far as I know the shift points are not programmable in the factory tcu.
Did you set up throttle input to the tcu? How close is it to the old voltages at different throttle positions?

The auto is a simple box as far as electronic control goes. I'm pretty confident any auto guru could fit a compushift or similar TCU to sort it out.

·
Registered
nissan
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As far as I know the shift points are not programmable in the factory tcu.
Did you set up throttle input to the tcu? How close is it to the old voltages at different throttle positions?

The auto is a simple box as far as electronic control goes. I'm pretty confident any auto guru could fit a compushift or similar TCU to sort it out.
Thanks for that. I have no idea on what the throttle voltages are. But the idea of fitting a different TCU with adjustable points does appeal. However the more I drive it, the more used to the throttle and gearbox interaction, the better it becomes.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
Im not sure what can be done programming wise but i do know that the type of oil in the auto can make a difference to the slip and flare which might help. Either that or yeah, kick it down a gear or use the power/hold switch to help on that stretch.
We have also experimented with the tcu resistor (its located in the engine bay on the firewall drivers side with varying results.

Hope this helps

1 - 5 of 5 Posts