Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
It's been a while since on but need help/advice
Recently getting engine light on and Error code 77-:p7-F/inj timing FB. i believe this may be bad fuel, injection timing or air in lines, question- should I be able to press the fuel filter primer while car is running. Also when not running I can press fairly easy and makes noises as pressing. Recently changed fuel filter. Any ideas. I'd call but on different phone for now. Injection timing 8.6-9.0 @ 750rpm, 10.2 @ 1200 rpm. Anything else I should be looking for. Could it be the filter?

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update- removed the bottom section of the fuel filter mount to check i had the rubber seal in, i do, since putting back on faults more often, this is a repco filter so goimg to change to nissan filter to see if helps Just been doing some search and reading and appears filters can be restrictive.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
blocked fuel filter is the most common. 2nd is poor seal or faulty primer which leaks air in.
it can also be a leak on the spill line including in the engine.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tweak'e
Up do I check for the leaks or does it need to be done professionally, light didn't come on last night but has this morning. Goin to get filter soon.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Don't know how this is going to end up, driving son to school engine light on puffs of grey smoke, now at mechanics. Unable to assist.

Edit: Replaced fuel filter with original from Nissan, Following issues now occuring- Grey Smoke on shift down, Boosting too fast, 14psi @ 60klm/h. Adjusted to slow boost down, as engine light on within 200m.
There is little bit of water showing in fuel.
Booked in to Nissan tomorrow for diagnostics but also waiting for call from Sheppards Diesel.
Seems more likely to be fuel Pump.
How hard is it to drop tanks out to drain or would it be too late?

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: disconnected battery overnight, patrol running beautiful again, no engine light on, was a bit hard to start at 1st. Haven't turned the heat switch on yet as that was when throwing code last night.
Currently at Nissan. Hopefully will get answers, but none would be better.
Going to look at replacing battery as mine has dropped a cell. MAF appears ok voltage 2.15.
Will keep updated

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Final details- p7 code showed on nissans computer, cleared and has not returned.
I now have the ecutalk connected and since cleared-
Injection timing at 27- 29 c/v %. This has increased.
MAF 2.16 @ 750rpm. 2.56 @ 1200rpm. Nissan service was great and did say they have had issues with after market fuel filters.
Either all now sorted or temp fix not sure.
Battery under load dropped to 10.1v.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol Y61
315 Posts
@Shane 3.0

My suggestions:
1. Fit and install fuel lift pumps, as that might help your I.P.
2. Do the spill line mod, while you're at it.
3. The MAF voltage is quite high if you dont have EGR blocked, so would be a good ideea to lower the voltage at idle to 1.7-1.8 (even though the manual says 1.6-2.0V would be normal).

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Daemonus,
I have the egr blocked, my wife now agrees need to fit the lift pump, need new battery 1st.
Will start looking into all the items needed and start purchasing. I've done most work myself but the lift pump scares the crap out of me. Looks complicated:).
2nd will be the voltage arrester from jaycar.
3rd the inlet manifold cleaned out.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol Y61
315 Posts
Also, an oil catch can would be a good idea, in addendo to inlet manifold cleaning (unless already installed). The lift pump aint complicated, tons of informations available here. To be honest, i was afraid to, but looking back i cant see no reason why. Well, i just remembered...fittings were a PITB to find here.

If you decided for a Jaycar device, pay attention to the way you put it together (i read here that it is quite a challenge).

PS.Keep in mind that in the repair manual the ICV parameterer is stated to be above 50% and 70% when idle - hope my memory serves right.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
569 Posts
Had a similar problem with the same error popping up, usually on startup on a cold morning / night. At times it seems like the battery is almost flat and doesn't want to kick over. Turn it off for 20 seconds and fire it back up, error is gone. I'm thinking that an almost dead (4yr old) battery could be causing some chaos with the electronics.

Fingers crossed you get it sorted Shane.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Mick, I asked Nissan that question and yes it can, appears mine was more likely dodgy filter, Air in line or false communication on inj timing.
I did find small amount water in filter when changed.
Do you kmow what code is coming up?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
569 Posts
Shane, i was getting the same as you, the 0707 code for Injection pump (read it with the ECU Talk cable and software on the laptop). That was coupled with 0407 crank position sensor.

Cleared it and it ran fine. Happened a few days later (again on a cold morning). Turned the motor off and back on. On fire up no 3 the error was gone, hasn't been back since. The battery is at least 4 years old, so time for a new one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts